+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newest iPad Peripheral: an Airplane

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Like any new product, the iPad in its initial stages is being put to uses the manufacturers may never had intended. We've seen it as a car stereo , as
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Newest iPad Peripheral: an Airplane

Like any new product, the iPad in its initial stages is being put to uses the manufacturers may never had intended. We've seen it as a car stereo, as a medical records system... even a skateboard deck. The latest application may not be entirely far-fetched, but it may also end up becoming the first way many people ever come into contact with an iPad: as entertainment on long airline flights.

BlueBox Avionics, a UK company that puts together portable inflight entertainment (IFE) solutions for airlines, has announced bluebox Ai, an iPad-based secure wireless system for commercial jets. The iPads would come pre-loaded with apps and would be able to screen new-release movies and TV shows that aren't yet available on DVD or streamable - what the company calls "early-window IFE content" - that airlines are licensed to show their passengers. The key piece seems to be the BlueBox "proprietary security solution" that would let the system multicast on-demand content without the risk that it would be pirated.

This sounds like it would be a pretty impressive service that airlines could offer to get more media-savvy customers, much like how JetBlue offers DirectTV in the US, or how Virgin America touts their WiFi. But some observers are skeptical. Emerging media consultant Steven Frischling told Air Transport Intelligence that he wonders whether airlines are going to "want to deploy a non-rugged, all-glass screen device that is known to torque and crack on impact to [their] passengers." Ow.

image via BlueBox Avionics
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 05-17-2010 at 05:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (05-18-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

that would be awesome

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

kool

Thanks

name the airline, and i'll fly it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I could see this working more in terms of a BYO solution where content would be streamed to passenger's personal iPads.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

never will happen... they don't even let paying customers bring shampoo onto an airplane, much less let people have ipads so terrorists can ruin **** again...

"Remember when it was legal to masturbate on an airplane?...Thanks a lot Osama." -Allan, THE HANGOVER

Green Apple
    Thanks

It is a great idea but can you imagine what the airlines will charge to use one of these on the a flight? Or what they will charge if you were to break it.

Thanks

@Pitbull2o08 as much as I love that quote, that might if been the stupidest comments I've ever seen, they let people use their own ipad on planes so if the airline supplied them u could definatly use them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08 View Post
    never will happen... they don't even let paying customers bring shampoo onto an airplane, much less let people have ipads so terrorists can ruin **** again...

"Remember when it was legal to masturbate on an airplane?...Thanks a lot Osama." -Allan, THE HANGOVER
    Fail.. but a little credit because you got the general gist of it...

"It's not illegal, It's frowned upon, Like Masturbating on an airplane.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal to...

Well yea, after 9-11 when everybody got all touchy, Thanks a lot bin Ladden..."

Lol..

but this is awesome
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool~i like this name "airplane", doesn't mean fly? and i bet with these apps, it can be fly! here is the list my apps in my ipad, enjoy~
    iBooks- an amazing way to download and read books
    Bento- easily customized to organize virtually any type of information, for me, useful database.
    ABC Player- One more way to watch favorite ABC shows anywhere, any time.
    WinX DVD to iPad ripper- play dvd to ipad, iphone and other portable device.
    Adobe Ideas- digital sketchbook, capture and explore ideas anywhere
    IMDb- the largest collection of movie, TV and celebrity information

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unless the iPads are somehow mounted onto the back of the seats for passengers to use while on the air...?

Thanks

Computers have really been overdue for being put in cars and airplanes. Cars are sorta there with HDs that store music, but not completely. Yeah they'd be more of a distraction but there'd be a lot more advantages that would come with it. Airplanes make more sense for having computers. Businessmen would obviously use them. I guess the iPad is close enough...

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

that's going to be an expensive flight considering they're charging for luggage...lol. I see the possiblity of more like tapping into a secured WiFi with your mobile device and paying a fee...then having access to the full line of services. That's more believable.....but an iPad for each passenger? you're easily talking a $100,000 price tag for something that's going to be lugged around.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

BlueBox Avionics, a UK company that puts together portable inflight entertainment announced bluebox Ai,

But some observers are skeptical. Emerging media consultant Steven Frischling that he wonders whether airlines are going to "want to deploy a non-rugged, all-glass screen device that is known to torque and crack on impact to [their] passengers." Ow.

I think they say its was a bluebox, probably the ipad its gona be inside of the box maybe to prevent that on the impact the ipad glass get stuck in your eyes or cut your throat. or that somebody stealit anyhow ithings are gona be every where and they gona take over the world
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks

sweet, coming to an UK airline

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Some airlines (I know of United for sure) have been providing Archos media players to its Business Class customers for a few years now:

http://www.archos.com/corporate/pres...ease-Final.pdf

When these Archos came out they were like $500-600 so I think it would be feasible to provide iPads these days, especially with the on-board wifi.