+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The "Original" Apple Tablet Can Be Yours

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
It's almost too difficult to believe, but someone is likely going to spend more for Apple's original "tablet" than some of us will spend on a brand new iPad. Gotta
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default The "Original" Apple Tablet Can Be Yours

It's almost too difficult to believe, but someone is likely going to spend more for Apple's original "tablet" than some of us will spend on a brand new iPad.

Gotta love eBay.

This weekend an all out bidding war began for a chunk of Apple history: a Newton MessagePAD Prototype DVT Unit. And while bidding began in a modest range for this "technological relic," the most die-hard of Apple fans (those with too much time and money on their hands) have since driven the asking price sky high. At present, this little beauty will cost you better than $500, and that bid will likely escalate as we near the end of the bidding period.

So what exactly will you get for such a hefty chunk of change? The device is a development test unit for the original Newton Messagepad (OMP or MP100). According to the product description on the eBay page, the difference between this unit and the final version is the labeling "Notepad" on the front (instead of Messagepad).

It is however definitely a test unit as it is incredibly unstable, crashing very often even when doing fairly simple tasks.
    At least if you're a Windows user, you'll already be familiar with the above scenario.

Of course, if you're a real Apple fanatic, please note that the original Apple case is included. And, yes, the stylus is there too. Forget the Smithsonian, someone is taking this bad boy home this week.

And I predict a jailbreak the following day
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-17-2010 at 09:41 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (05-17-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    mine!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Fake bidders like usual.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    At least if you're a Windows user, you'll already be familiar with the above scenario.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

0/10

Only time I ever had a BSOD in any edition of Windows I've used (95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7) was a direct result of a botched partitioning I did in Linux a few months back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    0/10

Only time I ever had a BSOD in any edition of Windows I've used (95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7) was a direct result of a botched partitioning I did in Linux a few months back.
    This, I don't get why some people shoot the Windows OS completely down. I have not had a blue screen ever since Windows 98. On rare occasions I get a lock up when play a game, but it's more so my video card that's been wanting to die. Than the actual OS friggin up.
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

Green Apple
    Thanks

Look, buddy. I really love Mac OSX. But people like you are the reason why nobody wants to try it because they don't want to be and act like you!
    And by the way, Windows is a pretty solid OS. It's just that you cab delete and write almost everywhere and everything you want, that makes it unstable sometimes...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhuys For This Useful Post:

amw08 (05-17-2010)

Thanks

Hmm, I still have the Newton 2000, Newton 2100, iMate 300, keyboard, etc. They all still work, just the year 2010 seems to have broken the good run they had - changing the year to 2010 reverts the unit back to 1974.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker View Post
    Fake bidders like usual.
    actually if you knew hoe ebay worked, you would know that ebay protects its users by showing fake names in the bidding history instead of your real username
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's okay to be an apple fanboy, but you don't have to include that in your post about the old notepad. Very unprofessional for a staff writer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Gotta agree with most others. Never had problems with any of my windows os. Use it everyday all day and it's just fine

Thanks

"At least if you're a Windows user, you'll already be familiar with the above scenario."

Ur an idiot. Nuff said.

Btw posted from and iPhone can't directly quote.
    Last edited by Zeal; 05-17-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

So, so, so true. I can't believe that MS controls most of the market share still. It is absolutely ridiculous. I dumped 100% of my faith in MS after being forced to buy WinVista with my PC. I finally see what everyone has been ranting about for years. Buy Win7 you say? Hmmm... spend another $120 to fix a problem (Vista) that I didn't cause... ummm... NO! Downgrade to XP? Already done... happy? After using OSX Snow Leopard on my hp a6300t, which runs better than Windows ironically, there is no going back - I AM HOOKED!

I just want something reliable that will work when I want it to... Vista breaks while doing updates! I had to send my CPU back to hp after 3 massive system crashes (caused entirely by Vista) that I could not fix!

The backlash is that Apple prices are a rape-fest to the wallet... soooo... build your own PC and install OSX86. A complete system will cost about 1/5 of the price of the Mac Desktop equivalent (minus the monitor and speakers...but everyone should have those already... right?)

If you are up MS's butt and love you some Windows then have a blast. I will stay with my OSX86 install and have 0 problems... And I will game on my XBox360. Problem solved.

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Sarcasm . . .
    I agree that Windows haters are boring, and that a computer is a computer - all are fallible.

But, come on guys, get the joke . . . .

Check his/her specs:

Messany:
    Device + Firmware: iPhone 3g 3.0 beta 4
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.2, XP, and Vista

adp
    Thanks

You are so ignorant and biased that it makes me sick reading your articles. If you properly know how to run Windows, you shouldn't have any issues. You think Macs are perfectly built machines that never have any hardware failures/issues? At least write "fanboy" at the end of your article.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    It makes me sick reading your articles.
    Your "Drama Queen of the Week" award shall be with you shortly. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the entertainment you have provided us all with.

Thanks

nice how prototypes find their way onto ebay...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispy212 View Post
    Your "Drama Queen of the Week" award shall be with you shortly. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the entertainment you have provided us all with.
    I find adp's criticism somewhat just, and your comment just immature, I would lurk around to see the news MMi would bring, and out of the all the staff member writers, I find Messany's to be heavily "Apple" biased. Personally I don't like it, even hate it to an extent just shown by the blatant generalization that Messany has brought up. I haven't suffered a BSOD or any form of crash in a while (around maybe 4-5 years perhaps).

Just because this site is predominately Apple based, doesn't mean that neutral bias can't be achieved.

And, oh, I do recognize it is a joke, but hey, the internet removes tone to an extent, leaves to viewer interpretation which can be taken the wrong way.
    Last edited by Radex; 05-17-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks

Apple Fans....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    So, so, so true. I can't believe that MS controls most of the market share still. It is absolutely ridiculous. I dumped 100% of my faith in MS after being forced to buy WinVista with my PC. I finally see what everyone has been ranting about for years. Buy Win7 you say? Hmmm... spend another $120 to fix a problem (Vista) that I didn't cause... ummm... NO! Downgrade to XP? Already done... happy? After using OSX Snow Leopard on my hp a6300t, which runs better than Windows ironically, there is no going back - I AM HOOKED!

I just want something reliable that will work when I want it to... Vista breaks while doing updates! I had to send my CPU back to hp after 3 massive system crashes (caused entirely by Vista) that I could not fix!

The backlash is that Apple prices are a rape-fest to the wallet... soooo... build your own PC and install OSX86. A complete system will cost about 1/5 of the price of the Mac Desktop equivalent (minus the monitor and speakers...but everyone should have those already... right?)

If you are up MS's butt and love you some Windows then have a blast. I will stay with my OSX86 install and have 0 problems... And I will game on my XBox360. Problem solved.

tim
    Please stop using computers, it's apparent you have no idea what you're doing, at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Don't you love all this willy waving?