+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Forget the iPhone, BlackBerry May Take on the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
While it isn't yet clear who will be the first brave combatant to challenge Apple head-on in the tablet market, it's inevitable that some intrepid warrior and its own tablet
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Forget the iPhone, BlackBerry May Take on the iPad

While it isn't yet clear who will be the first brave combatant to challenge Apple head-on in the tablet market, it's inevitable that some intrepid warrior and its own tablet will soon lock horns with the iPad. And then another... and another, and another. Indeed, the tablet market has proven far too lucrative to Apple for other consumer electronics giants to leave the entire market for Cupertino alone.

Following yesterday's word from Sony that it may enter the tablet pool to mix things up with Apple (but only if it first determines if there is adequate consumer interest to make such a venture worthwhile), today we're learning that Research In Motion, the makers of the BlackBerry, is reportedly also looking into a tablet of its own.

Having failed to unseat the iPhone as the world's most ubiquitous smartphone, perhaps the envisioned "BlackBerry Tablet" would have better luck fairing against the iPad. If nothing more, some industry analysts say that a BlackBerry tablet could ultimately be a wise product development because it could, in turn, aid sales of Blackberry phones as well. If initial reports prove accurate, there will be "no mobile networking" for the tablet. Instead, the device will connect to a BlackBerry phone through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

In the first full month of its release, Apple sold in excess of one million iPads - an impressive start to the estimated four to five million units that industry analysts think will be sold before the end of 2010.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-15-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Uh...
    Ipad will win if this one is running blackberry

Thanks

This is something i would like to see
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is true, i live like 10 min away from rim in canada, i know several workers there, its expected to come sometimes next year

iPhone? More like MyPhone thechronic's Avatar
    Thanks

I am very interested to see what type of mobile operating system it's going to run.

And what RIM will call the device.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

BlackBerry OS is ugly and all tablets suck too.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

lol, if they cant take on the iphone, why do they think they can catch up with 1M+ iPads?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    lol, if they cant take on the iphone, why do they think they can catch up with 1M+ iPads?
    Funny,, RIM is #2 Worldwide and #1 in the US, even Android based phones are selling more than iphones. RIM does not need to take on iphones is Apple who needs to take on RIM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (05-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    Funny,, RIM is #2 Worldwide and #1 in the US, even Android based phones are selling more than iphones. RIM does not need to take on iphones is Apple who needs to take on RIM
    I dare say majority of RIM-BlackBerry users are businesses, and where the iPhone cannot really be marked as enterprise grade. iPhones are consumer based and that's that - However, there is a great deal of potential with the iPhone 3rd Gen, and should Apple need to they will pull that rabbit out of the hat.

Thanks

Good job for wasting your time, Blackberry. By doing this, you making the iPad get better features. Expect the Blackberry to be OM NOM NOM NOM by the iPad.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

First, they need to change their logo to something that isn't a bunch of buttons.

Thanks

Default Say hello to the CrackPad
    For a networking device like a tablet, BlackBerry wants you to connect it to a BB phone for data connection? The whole idea behind the tablet, is connectivity and mobile use is it not? That would be unwise and a misstep IMHO.

I can understand they want to sell more BB phones but this is not the way to go about it. They already lead in business. They need to get a hold of consumers. I don't see consumers willing to purchase both a tablet and BB cell just to get data connectivity via WiFi and Bluetooth. Hell I still think BB releases devices that still don't use WiFi.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Blackberry can build good devices, but Apple is on another playing field.

Green Apple
    Thanks

umm sorry your wrong :P

Thanks

Blackberry is out of there league, they need to stop now before they get embarrassed! If you can't compete with the iPhone, what makes you think you can compete with the iPad???

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

if "PC" companies start to jump into the tablet market then Apple is going to go down in a ball of flames! Apple won't be outdone by one company in particular... Apple will be overtaken by the flood of tablets and the freedom those tablets offer over what the iPad can offer.

The iPod/iPhone market yeah... but the closer the fight comes to "computer" type markets... i just dont see how Apple could win...

tim

18. The Following User Says Thank You to klouud For This Useful Post:

Amraam (05-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Nothing will beat the iphone, why? Because as much as everyone wants to say "apps dont make the phone a better phone"...

Thats why people love it. I see local companies in my area making an app for the iPhone not Blackberry ie "Chipotle" and "Chase Bank".

Sure there are some made for BB but come on... It cant compete.

Also, like someone else already said--BB are for business people whereas iPhone is for everyone. I cant really see how a tablet will increase sales either... If I bought the tablet its for tablet use, it wouldnt compel me to get the phone.

Oh well--its a really illogical and unreasonable competition. Its a popularity contest just like high school. Prom King and Queen dont get voted for how many talents they have, theyre voted for how popular they are. Just like how popular the iPhone is.

Thanks

And exactly how does the bb not compete with the iphone

Killer battery life-check

True push on as many email accounts as you want-check

Open source FW-check

The bb OS won't win any beauty pagents, but over all it is extremely solid. And there's a reason its still preferred 1000000 to 1 over any other device for email and corporate usage. Just sayin.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    BlackBerry OS is ugly and all tablets suck too.
    Vanilla BBOS is ugly. But there are some pretty sick themes out there.

Thanks

Default Don't Write a Check You Can't Cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    Blackberry is out of there league, they need to stop now before they get embarrassed! If you can't compete with the iPhone, what makes you think you can compete with the iPad???
    You stole the words from right under me, theres no way in hell that RIM can pull this off, unless they decide to rebuild there OS from ground up. As of right now, they need to just stick to the cell phone market, because if you think about it, Apple 'Specializes' in computers, so RIM is jumping into Apples arena, which means, YES "They are far out of their league". If they can't take the iPhone, there's no way they can touch the iPad with a 10 foot pole.

'Follow Me on Twitter' @Markanthony3211
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.