+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Considers Tablet to Duke it Out with iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Sony Considers Tablet to Duke it Out with iPad

Between the announcement of the iPad and its subsequent arrival, the thunderous headlines pronouncing a flurry of forthcoming competitive tablets has dwindled to an occasional blurb about the "possibility" of other tech giants rolling out their own iPad rival - but at no time soon. And while talk of potential iPad "killers" still lingers, it doesn't seem as though any competing device will soon knock the iPad from its dominant perch.

Yet, today, news has broken that Sony is tinkering with the idea of jumping head first into the tablet pool to mix things up with Apple.

According to a Bloomberg/Newsweek report, Sony has the passion and ability to develop a rival tablet computer, but it must first determine if there is adequate consumer interest to make such a venture worthwhile.

Mike Abary, senior VP of Sony’s Information Technology Products unit, says: “We have been taking a deep look at developing a tablet for a number of years, not just because of Apple but because it creates some interesting opportunities.”

Naturally, although Sony is downplaying the impact of Apple's tablet on the marketplace, the consumer electronics giant has clearly been inspired to begin speaking publicly about the possibility of its own tablet as a result of Apple selling better than one million iPads during its first full month of release. “The iPad has created a new opportunity,” Abary added. “Now we can get a good judgment as to whether the market is truly accepting of it.”

With gaming becoming such a central focus of iPad users, Sony - a company that know a thing or two about targeting avid video gamers - would likely stress gaming friendliness in the development and launch of a rival tablet. But, ultimately, talk is cheap. And if Sony wants to cut into Apple's market share, it will need to do so before virtually everyone who wants a tablet owns an iPad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm eager to know the specs! :-)
    Also eager to know how many people will talk about an iPad when they see a tablet from now on...

Thanks

competition is healthy

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm growing weary of these companies announcing something they have yet to do, and later stop doing it anyway. Kind of like Jay Leno saying five years ago he'd retire, and didn't retire at all.

How about the companies, make the product then announce what it is.

Andorid has pushed Apple recently, with small sales numbers, and Apple is responding back like a mad man. Nothing can compete with the iPhone and ipad for what they do. All of us who complain about the iphone being so closed, will buy a new one as soon as 4.0 comes out.

Thanks

Been hearing the same claims and arguments for so long now.

Will nothing new happen? Are we stuck in a cycle?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Hey look! It's another "what if" idea! These are getting so old... until a product is ACTUALLY developed and there's a WORKING prototype it's all pipe dreams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sony is the one company who could actually compete with apple

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

everybody and their mother is Considers a Tablet to Duke it Out with the iPad, even my mother is making a tablet too lol.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Vaporware imo.

I really wish I could say that I'd anticipate some competition in the tablet market, it just seems like nobody is willing to build a device at the same pricepoints as the ipad, which would give it far superior specs.

I guess with netbooks around, people are unwilling to drop 600-800 on a high quality slate/tablet device.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarky8 View Post
    Sony is the one company who could actually compete with apple
    Hmmm really? They lost to Nintendo against the Wii, and against the xbox.

Sony has stopped being innovative and relevant a long time ago. They so make however, overpriced TV's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I got a sony notebook before I switched to Apple. It's not the same. Sony WAS history for me after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post

Sony has stopped being innovative and relevant a long time ago. They so make however, overpriced TV's.
    ps3>xbox. Wii is not even in their class.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Sony are awesome and no they didn't lose to Nintendo, erm the PS2, the best selling console of all time.

PS3=Xbox 360 at the moment and Wii is not for proper gaming.

Sony's tablet will be overpriced like the iPad aswell, paying for the brand...
    Tablets suck I think.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't agree. Xbox is under PS3, I don't know from were you got that. Also, Wii is not at the same level of the PS3 so they are not even in the same category. Obviously, Nintendo DS are selling much better than the PSP, but that is it.

Also, you are missing the point of the PS3, the PS3 was a strategy to push the BluRay disc into the HD video market, obliterating the HD DVD format. (HD DVD was much cheaper to manufacture, just minor changed to the actual DVD manufacturing lines).

Thanks

just when u thought everyone had given up on an iPad killer, BAM!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

adp
    Thanks

LOL just because a staff writer posts it you believe it? Sony never lost against Wii. Unless you're a 9 year old who prefers Mario over quality games like Call of Duty MW or Battlefield BC. Sony TV's are in the same price range as LG's and Panasonics. I bought a Sony TV in 1999 and lasted until recently. I've owned Sony hardware for years and never had any issues.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

+1 on compition being healthy

but the whole " i killer " crap isn't. I wish they would stop bashing the compition and start making competitive products.

Thanks

Oh boy! Sony is making a...PSTablet!

Who cares which console is better? Damn you, 360 and PS3 fanboys!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have got a top of the range sony vaio laptop, 3 years old now , carbon fibre and magnesium chassis , HD,Bluray Writer!! A month ago, the video card blew on it. I rang Sony customer support,they said they would send a courier to pick it up.They rang me 3 days later , my vaio was on its way back, they had fitted a new motherboard, FOC as an act of goodwill.
    Like to hear the same story about Apple !

Thanks

I'm all for healthy competition, but Id rather piss glass than buy anything sony made.