Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Working with Google on iPad-Killer?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon Working with Google on iPad-Killer?

In a startling move, the CEO of Verizon has told the Wall Street Journal that the carrier is working with Google on a tablet device designed to compete with Apple’s iPad. Coming at a time when the rumor about Verizon getting the iPhone has risen once again from the dead, the comments by Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam are somewhat surprising. Doesn't he know that Steve Jobs hates Google with a passion? One writer may have the key to the puzzle: he thinks it's a clever negotiating move by Verizon to get the best terms it can from Apple.

In the Wall Street Journal interview, McAdam said that the carrier was "looking at all the things Google has in its archives that we could put on a tablet to make it a great experience.” McAdam's reference to Google's "archives" was not explained: Google is a search engine, and if it has "archives," it would be what the rest of us call the internet. He also didn't explain what "working on tablets together" would mean, necessarily, as Verizon makes neither hardware nor software.

The Silicon Valley Insider's Dan Frommer calls BS on this announcement, saying that there's "ZERO reason for Google and Verizon to pre-announce a tablet collaboration, likely several months before anything is available for purchase." With the possibility of "delays, other disappointments, etc.," frommer says there's "only downside" to trumpeting this now, if it's real. While allowing that "it's possible that talks with Apple and Verizon have completely broken down, and that Verizon really is aligning itself with Google for an all-out war," Frommer still says that McAdam "is just playing Google to get Steve Jobs to hand over the iPhone and iPad on favorable terms."

Google, for its part, is pretty much acting like it has no idea what McAdam is talking about. “Anyone can take the Android platform and add code or download it to create a mobile device without restrictions,” the company said in an emailed statement. “We look forward to seeing what contributions are made and how an open platform spurs innovation.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (05-12-2010)

Thanks

Apple will come out with something better.
    My new download/upload

Now Apple will sue Verizon for copying his device..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mardinn For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-12-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Why does everything that comes out have to be labeled as an i "killer". Why can't products just coexist and compete with each other rather than one trying to put the other one out of business and "kill" it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (05-12-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Why does everything that comes out have to be labeled as an i "killer". Why can't products just coexist and compete with each other rather than one trying to put the other one out of business and "kill" it?
    I know right! AApple needs to get over it. Maybe Verizon will have a better one anyway. Maybe, Sprint will make one! There should be a Google Android powered Pad for Sprint! I would SO buy it!

lemme guess its gonna have android

ya apple will always come out with something better

iPhone? More like MyPhone reaves205's Avatar
    Thanks

There are so many pop-ups poping up I'm beginning to not want to look at Modmyi.!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reaves205 For This Useful Post:

bbillh77 (05-12-2010), ultimatexpka (05-12-2010)

All these comments about how Apple will come out with something better are dumb as hell. You should be pissed that they don't come out with there best product right away. Do you really think that the next ipad is not already developed. You will get just what you want after you buy ipad one and then ipad two and maybe three will have all the things one should have but then you wouldn't have bought three generations of ipads would you. This time I will wait to see what other companies have to offer. If for no other reason, maybe they will light a fire under Steve's arse when he starts loosing his precious sales. Cool OS and crap hardware is becoming quite the trend with Apple.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 1shuttle1 For This Useful Post:

Success.Is.Sweet (05-12-2010)

That is what I always think. Come out and try not to focus on being an anything killer. Just be, make a good device people will buy it. Let the users define what is what's killer.

that's the writers calling it that. android is aiming for top spot, they really don't care who it is.

it's just sensationalism. you learned about that in high school

Every recent smartphone or tablet idea has been sited as "an iPhone/iPad killer". I'll believe it when I see it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's been like that with every "hot" item on the market ever since I can remember. Coexisting in a market is something that companies would like us to think they desire but that none of them want one bit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

there have been tons of "iPhone killers" bring on the "iPad Killers"
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Because since they know Apple is the best in creating their "OWN" phones and other devices, while all the other companies need each other help to get even near to what Apple can make. What happens? They rip off their devices and sell them. Just look at HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    Now Apple will sue Verizon for copying his device..
    They probably will, because Im 100% sure they will have a iPad cut open with all the pieces laying on a desk, and making a design out of that calling it their own.

Quote Originally Posted by GTghost View Post
    Apple will come out with something better.
    They always do, and always will. [Hence iPods and iPhones being unbeatable for years, + J.D. power awards for I think 4 years now]

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCrammer View Post
    I know right! AApple needs to get over it. Maybe Verizon will have a better one anyway. Maybe, Sprint will make one! There should be a Google Android powered Pad for Sprint! I would SO buy it!
    Get over what? Someone else ripping your device, making you lose customers, and selling "their" device as profit? Google Android powered Pad for Sprint? That makes me sick just thinking about it. Not only Android is not capable of the simplest tasks, its not attractive and just offers same crap as other OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    there have been tons of "iPhone killers" bring on the "iPad Killers"
    Yup, tons of "so called" iPhone killers, none of them have succeeded. Look at HTC nexus, every one was like "OMG, I WANT ONE ITS SO MUCH BETTER!" Now look at the hardware, software, and product sale comparisons. Most of the "iPhone killers" turn out to be ripped off iPhones whom still fail with superior hardware LOL.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 05-12-2010 at 06:35 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eZStaR For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-12-2010)

The only people that call things "ixxx killers" are the media and fanboys. Sprint also had the audacity to call one of their phones an iPhone killer once, which was a total flop. It's just sensationalism made to get a rise out of both sides.

Tablet computers have been out for over 10 years now. We can credit Apple with bringing them into the forefront, although the actual "computing" you can do with an iPad is debatable.

This tablet in development, as well as the HP tablet which will be running WebOS, simply bring competition for people who want something different or more open than an Apple device.
    Last edited by Success.Is.Sweet; 05-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks

iPad-killer? Wake me up if their is an actual iPad-killer...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

eZStaR (05-12-2010), ryanofdiamonds (05-14-2010)

Thanks

Do that and Apple won't give them the iPhone

Seriously guys, think about it.. How can Google possibly make a better tablet out of Android..... I'm serious.. I don't think so :P
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    The only people that call things "ixxx killers" are the media and fanboys. Sprint also had the audacity to call one of their phones an iPhone killer once, which was a total flop. It's just sensationalism made to get a rise out of both sides.

Tablet computers have been out for over 10 years now. We can credit Apple with bringing them into the forefront, although the actual "computing" you can do with an iPad is debatable.

This tablet in development, as well as the HP tablet which will be running WebOS, simply bring competition for people who want something different or more open than an Apple device.
    Well, the iPad would be capable to compute more if some hacker was able to put a MaC OS X on it ^_^. Although Im doubtful of that happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    iPad-killer? Wake me up if their is an actual iPad-killer...
    So well said. I don't think any one is getting the point that their is and probably won't be a iPod/iPhone/iPad killer for years to come. At-least until some company actually makes their own sh*t for once.

Quote Originally Posted by djnikk View Post
    Seriously guys, think about it.. How can Google possibly make a better tablet out of Android..... I'm serious.. I don't think so :P
    Exactly, people think Android is the sh*t but it cannot do anything.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast