Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad WiFi Fix On Its Way… Someday

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad WiFi Fix On Its Way… Someday

Apple recently released an updated support document with greater detail on the WiFi problems experienced by what the company calls "a very small number of iPad users." Although no release date was specified, the document did promise that Apple will "address remaining Wi-Fi connectivity issues with a future iPad software update," and provided some additional workaround suggestions, including adjusting the screen brightness and updating the WiFi router's firmware.

Almost as soon as users got their hands on their new iPads, they noticed issues with their WiFi connections: disconnects, poor signal, or complete failure to associate with a wireless network after waking the tablet from sleep. Apple issued a support document on the last issue soon after it was reported, which it claimed was limited to multi-band capable WiFi access points.

Separately, some large campus network administrators noticed that iPads were hanging onto their DHCP-assigned IP addresses after the lease had expired. This caused some devices to be unable to use the network after the DHCP server determined they were using an unauthorized IP address and blocked their MAC addresses. Princeton University found this issue had occurred with more than half of the iPads on campus, and "recommended" that iPad users not connect their devices to the network. Princeton network administrators determined that this is an issue with iPhone OS 3.2, and published some workarounds that "may prevent" the malfunction, including turning off WiFi before putting the tablet to sleep, powering it down completely, or just never sleeping it at all. They say they are working with Apple to help correct the problem.

It's unclear whether the vaguely-promised update will also deal with the DHCP lease issue, but the support document update does make mention of manually renewing the DHCP lease and turning the wireless radio off and on in addition to the configuration and firmware-related hints.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (05-12-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

"Small number"? Sounds like a political statement.. both of my iPads have this issue from time to time.

Yeah, I have dropped WiFi on my iPad too, and I can't even blame AT&T...

I'm your Huckleberry!

I have linksys wrt610N dual band router. My G and N networks already had different SSID's, i dont use any encyption key, just a basic mac filter.

Initially i had the same wifi problems on my ipad, it would not connect after waking up from sleep. Had this issue for a few days, then i just changed the channel frequency of the G band to 6 from 4. Now the ipad connects fine without any problems,,,, weird!!!

the ipad is JB. although open ssh is not installed as that does make the wifi signal icon go away..
    Last edited by alirz; 05-11-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Time to choose:

Working WiFi or Jailbreak

btw my iPad hasn't had any WiFi issues

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

T.A. (05-18-2010)

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I'll deal with some Widi issues so I don't lose the jailbreak

Try that again - WIFI
    Last edited by coloradoxmfan; 05-11-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Changing the channel on my N router seemed to help the problem as well. I still get varied signal from time to time though.

Mine does this as well. I recently upgraded to an "N" router though, and my iPad connects only to the 5ghz N channel. Since then it's been 100% reliable.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Time to choose:

Working WiFi or Jailbreak

btw my iPad hasn't had any WiFi issues
    same here so i will not be updating

I just got one yesterday it hasnt had any problems with wifi

Fortunately I haven't had any problems either.
    Is my girlfriend the only one that gets mad at me because I spend too much time with my iPhone?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

watch out for 3.2.1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

T.A. (05-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

i had some problems when running on N and when i switched to my G network it has been fine ever since.

i run a G and an N network and since the only benefit to N is transferring large files within your network i ididnt care about putting it on G since G can handle all of my 20 down and 1 up internet connection.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

of the people i know with iPads, none of them are having problems
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

good. mine was returned explicitly because of this wifi issue.

I bet that they are pushing to finish this WiFi fix now that Spirit is out!

This update better come after may 28th when I get my iPad beacause I need to jailbreak it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had issues re connectong to my secure wireless at home. I have had to reset the wireless password on my router in order to get my ipad to re-connect.

The only issue that I have is that after a while of not using my iPad, when I go to use it again, I need to re input my WEP password. Not a big deal...maybe we will have a 'tweak' in Cydia!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

It is interesting to note what folks are saying about the issues with WiFi and their N routers - I just bought an N wireless router this weekend.

Thanks for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast