Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Gets Snippy About iPad Pricing

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Gets Snippy About iPad Pricing

This Mother's Day weekend, Apple chief Steve Jobs is being far from motherly or nurturing to ticked off Apple fans inquiring by email as to why the iPad costs so much in the UK. As the writer in the above email states, the UK's most basic iPad option starts at a price $150 higher than the comparable US version. What were sales departments thinking, the chap asked, when they priced the iPads? "It's like leeching blood out of our body..."

Steve Jobs, however, in quite snippy fashion, simply wasn't feeling much empathy for the disgruntled Brit. And he responded with an answer that provided every bit as much admonishment as it did information. "Please educate yourself," Jobs began in reply - according to the email displayed by our friends at 9to5mac. "UK prices must by law include VAT, which is around 18%. US prices do not include tax."

At least he said "please," right?

Apple has been adamant about getting the word out that the high prices in the UK are not the result of Apple simply marking up the goods. Instead, the higher costs come as a consequence of notably higher taxes and shipping costs, including VAT. All told, the price of an iPad in the UK does not represent a simplistic conversion of the iPad's price in US dollars to its cost in euros.

On Friday, Apple announced that the iPad will officially be available in international markets beginning May 28th. The first countries to get the tablet include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and Britain. Pre-orders for iPad's international release begin tomorrow, May 10th.

Image via 9to5Mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

This is Apple's "friendly and number one" customer service?

Btw, FIRST!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

aha what a genuine bloke steve is...

maybe ill make his day and send him the iphone 5gs i found lying on the floor of a bar
    Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Check out my Piracy Sticky :- Click Here!

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

well thats uncanny
    killall Terminal[]

all us cats seem to do is lap..

i could fake an email right here right now, doesnt mean its real!
    Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

I still doubt these are coming from Steve jobs, how r random people getting his email?

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I still doubt these are coming from Steve jobs, how r random people getting his email?
    its not that, its just, i mean come on, he wouldnt be this snappy to somebody would he!

and, hes got better things to do with his time than sit on his email answering 32322323233223 fans emails (per minute)!

Z

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used to work for security at Apple in Elk Grove. I sent Steve an e-mail once and he did in fact reply.

Apparently, Steve doesn't suffer fools gladly and the person who sent him the email is clearly an uninformed idiot.

Yup VAT tax will soon be coming to the U.S. and everyone can expect to pay $150 more for their iPad, or about $5000 more on a $25,000 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    All told, the price of an iPad in the UK does not represent a simplistic conversion of the iPad's price in US dollars to its cost in euros.
    Just as well then. Since we dont use Euros in the uk....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mmg For This Useful Post:

dale1v (05-09-2010)

Even after sales tax/VAT the price of the 3G 64GB in the UK is still $70 higher, and the UK has some of the cheapest delivery prices in Europe

Must be the cost of the different power socket

Better to resist the temptation and hang on a little while longer and the price would surely come crashing down as they usually do here in the UK. Especially if the sales are not as crazy as they expect...besides summer is round the corner, and with it the sales...

I'll wait and see if I can resist...

Thanks

Would help if you learned English before wasting Steve's time with a crappy email
    To live, you have to lie

its still cheaper to import one from the US, even if you pay 70 for shipping

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    Better to resist the temptation and hang on a little while longer and the price would surely come crashing down as they usually do here in the UK. Especially if the sales are not as crazy as they expect...besides summer is round the corner, and with it the sales...

I'll wait and see if I can resist...
    Christmas sales See if you can wait that long?!

maybe it's time to stop letting the CEO reply to customers.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (05-09-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Like every other Apple product except the iPhone and iPod, the iPad will not sell well at all or sales will be slow until Apple drop the price. Here in UK that is.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 05-09-2010 at 02:15 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

wait, steve jobs responds to emails you send him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast