Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did Apple Force the WePad's Re-branding Ahead of the iPad's Euro Arrival?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Did Apple Force the WePad's Re-branding Ahead of the iPad's Euro Arrival?

As the iPad prepares to descend upon a multitude of Europe countries, the German makers of the iPad rival known as the "WePad" have taken a different direction with their tablet device and changed its name prior to launch. Say goodbye to the "WePad" and hello to the "WeTab."

Apart from the name change, however, it's pretty much the same iPad knock-off that's been on the horizon for several months.

The Android tablet preparing to hit the German market is remarkably similar to the iPad, although it supports Flash, sports a bigger screen, serves up a webcam and even two USB ports. And while the makers of WePad - excuse me... "WeTab" - say the device isn't an 'iPad killer,' its ostensible goal - to take a bite out of the iPad's market share - is obvious. And the WeTab has undoubtedly been designed with certain iPad deficiencies in mind.

In a statement this weekend, the German company behind the WeTab revealed that the reason for the name change was to "clearly differentiate our products within the international market for tablet computers."
    This change only concerns the name of the product and company. All other particulars and pre-orders are not affected.
    It is not yet known - but obviously presumed - that Apple made a stink about the similar names. Although it isn't believed that Apple made any legal threats, the timing is, after all, very suspicious. Think about it. The WePad's name is changed to WeTab on the same day that Apple announced the iPad's forthcoming availability in various Western European countries.

The basic WePad delivers Wi-Fi capability and 16 gigs of storage for euro 449 ($600). A 32-gig with 3G modem is priced at at euro 569.

Image via Boston Globe

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-08-2010), jcbhome (05-10-2010), reaves205 (05-08-2010)

I'm at the store

Apple is SO powerful and persuasive!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

...waiting for the iPad 2nd Gen to be $299
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm waiting for iPad 2nd gen and for it to be cheaper hopefully.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Sounds much better than ipad.

now that's a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    now that's a tablet.
    I completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    Apart from the name change, however, it's pretty much the same iPad knock-off that's been on the horizon for several months.
    aer you joking.

i showed this to my 11 year old sister, and she's like: "this looks nothing like the ipad".

i showed this to my 52 year old dad, and he's like: "this looks nothing like the ipad".

i showed this to my 18 year old myself, and im's like: "this looks nothing like the ipad".

yeah it's nothing like the ipad

other than the app factor, i like this better than the iPad
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Calling this an ipad knockoff is like calling the ipod a nomad jukebox knockoff, they each greatly improved upon the lacking technology that was available at the time, and lets not forget that the ipad is far from the first tablet, its just the first with a fruit stamped on the back. The weTab blows the iPad out of the water, and if you're too disillusioned by your fanboy-ism to admit it then I truly feel sorry for you.

Pros of Android Tablets:
    - Awesome specs. Dual-core ARM9, 512MB RAM, expandable storage, HDMI out!
    - Awesome battery life. Compal NAZ-10 gets up to 16 hours of HD playback.
    - Diversity in designs.
    - Android Market is catching up very quickly! Already more than 20,000 apps.
    - Flash!

Cons:
    - WHERE THE FCK CAN I BUY ONE? I'm waiting for a Compal NAZ-10 (or Aigo N700). But we have yet to see one released (at least not here in the States) sadly.
    - Android Market is STILL catching up.

The Pros outweigh the Cons. I'll skip the iPad and get my Android (or even W7) tablet whenever a good one is actually available for purchase.

PS: I don't see why people are complaining that the WePad is an iPad wannabe. It's a god damn tablet ffs. Is a Dell PC an IBM knock-off?
    Last edited by itaintrite; 05-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone considered that the name change may be due simply to wanting to be a little more different? I agree it may be more likely that Apple threw their weight around to get "pad" out of the name (let's face it, they have done this kind of thing a lot lately), but other than Apple's history is there anything else to suggest that Apple actually had much (or anything) to do with this?

As far as calling this a knock-off, really everything that comes after a successful product and is similar to that product (and let's face it, there are plenty of similarities) tends to get called a knock-off or "killer". Same happened when we started seeing other touch screen phones shortly after iphone release and people were saying the same things about mp3 players after ipod hit it off. Ironically, the latter example technically is a knock-off itself by these same standards.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

android will be thing of future and apple will lose to google 100% i am just with apple b/c of app market and crackers to crack the app as soon this goes to android I an switching everything to android tech. Apple has nothing compared to android! they got multytasking after 4gens of iphones they got 3mp cam in 3gs f me but apple is behind on tech and makes its user suffer in effort to gain their profits sell lower versions first then add 2 things and sell it again and i am tired of this *** thing! and want apple to bank corrupt
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    The Android tablet preparing to hit the German market is remarkably similar to the iPad, although it supports Flash, sports a bigger screen, serves up a webcam and even two USB ports.
    So... kinda the way the iPad should have been in the first place?

PAKIS-RULEZ You are totally right , I agree with you in 100 percent !!!
    Last edited by vito05; 05-09-2010 at 06:41 AM.

they all try to be like Apple
    killall Terminal[]

Why did they put android on it though, Ubuntu NBR would have been awesome i mean it does have 1.66ghz Atom processor and yes i am a linux fanboy

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Has anyone considered that the name change may be due simply to wanting to be a little more different? I agree it may be more likely that Apple threw their weight around to get "pad" out of the name (let's face it, they have done this kind of thing a lot lately), but other than Apple's history is there anything else to suggest that Apple actually had much (or anything) to do with this?

As far as calling this a knock-off, really everything that comes after a successful product and is similar to that product (and let's face it, there are plenty of similarities) tends to get called a knock-off or "killer". Same happened when we started seeing other touch screen phones shortly after iphone release and people were saying the same things about mp3 players after ipod hit it off. Ironically, the latter example technically is a knock-off itself by these same standards.
    1. Weren't there touchscreen phones before the iPhone?
    and
    2. You can't convince a lot of people on this site that there could possibly be an actual product that is superior to anything with the Apple logo on it and, let's face it, there are many many products that are just that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Man, did you look at the specs? That's actually pretty sweet. I want one! Screw the iPad imo. This has Flash, USB Ports, and supports Java, Linux, Adobe Air, and Android apps.

If I had the money 569eur ($721) I'd grab one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post
    Why did they put android on it though, Ubuntu NBR would have been awesome i mean it does have 1.66ghz Atom processor and yes i am a linux fanboy
    LoL I thought the same thing! I'm sure you can port it on there.

Oh, and just a little fun fact, I'm posting this from Ubuntu!
    Last edited by PeeceKeeper; 05-11-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost