+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Whack-A-Motion: Nokia Sues Apple, AGAIN

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
In the latest round of an increasingly comic legal war, Nokia has yet again sued Apple for allegedly infringing on its patents, this time objecting to technology used in the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Whack-A-Motion: Nokia Sues Apple, AGAIN

In the latest round of an increasingly comic legal war, Nokia has yet again sued Apple for allegedly infringing on its patents, this time objecting to technology used in the iPad. The Finnish smartphone giant has already sued Apple twice, and also complained to US federal regulators. Apple, for its part, sued Nokia back and filed its own complaint, but is currently under investigation to determine if it is in fact using Nokia technology without a license.

According to a company spokesperson, the latest lawsuit is about completely different Nokia patents than those referred to in the company's previous legal assaults. The Nokia technology in dispute here involves methods for improved voice and data transmission that are used in both the iPhone and the iPad. A Statement coming out of company headquarters in Espoo, Finland said that the patented inventions involve "positioning data in applications and innovations in antenna configurations that improve performance and save space, allowing smaller and more compact devices."

Most observers see the protracted conflict as an effort by Nokia to get Apple to agree to licensing fees, similar to what many other mobile phone makers already pay. Nokia had complained back in October that "Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation," by using wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption inventions that Nokia claims are its own. Apple in response said that Nokia was making unwarranted claims in order to gain information about Apple's intellectual property. Nokia then filed its motion with the International Trade Commission (ITC), claiming all of Apple's products violate its patents, and investigators are now looking into these allegations.

Interestingly, Nokia filed this latest suit not in Delaware as it had before, but in the rural midwestern state of Wisconsin. According to reports out today, this court is quicker at bringing patent cases to trial than courts in Delaware - home to many US corporations - or in California where Apple's headquarters is located.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Interesting that they thought to take it to a different state to try to get a faster response.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

patent battles are ridiculous (whatever the sides are).
    Patents were made to protect intellectual property against unfair misuse, not cover technology and make it unavailable to others.

Whom shall i pay for playing custom-mage guitar? Or whom shall i pay for using smilies? Or maybe even these letters we all use, they were invented by someone too.

I always wondered who actually profits from this patent battles...
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone's mad at Apple! Microsoft, Adobe, and Nokia. Watch...Motorola's next!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

lol @ picture
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Thanks

Nokia is a retarded company. Did you read what the attempted to sue Apple for? It's ridiculous, pretty much every phone does that.

Best part is, Apple countersued Nokia before, apparently they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Its funny how they think the iPad is some how ripped off of Nokia's patents, actually scratch that, "all" of Apples products. Not to mention that Nokia is not even capable of making products at the level Apple does. I think they are mentally ill to be making such a decision.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Verizon will be next for not allowing it on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
    Nokia is a retarded company. Did you read what the attempted to sue Apple for? It's ridiculous, pretty much every phone does that.

Best part is, Apple countersued Nokia before, apparently they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Its funny how they think the iPad is some how ripped off of Nokia's patents, actually scratch that, "all" of Apples products. Not to mention that Nokia is not even capable of making products at the level Apple does. I think they are mentally ill to be making such a decision.
    The thing is every phone company has been paying Nokia to use the patented stuff. Problem was Apple and Nokia could not find an agreement on the payments or Apple didn't like the ones Nokia asked for. That is also why it took so long for Nokia to sue. They had been trying to work it out before.
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-07-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Their "technology" seems pretty vague, and much too general to claim as their own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Verizon will be next for not allowing it on their network.

The thing is every phone company has been paying Nokia to use the patented stuff. Problem was Apple and Nokia could not find an agreement on the payments or Apple didn't like the ones Nokia asked for. That is also why it took so long for Nokia to sue. They had been trying to work it out before.
    What do you mean "Version will be next for not allowing it on their network?" Are you talking about Apples phone? Or Nokia itself?
    Otherwise ya, their "patents" are general amoung various phones, how can you sue for such a thing? I don't blame Apple at all, why pay when you can countersue ^^.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 05-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Thanks

Was talking about the comment about who's next to sue apple. I was joking.

Nokia was one of the companies that helped develop and standardize GSM technology. They did most of the work and handle most of the patents involved in making the technology and the use of it.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^Wow, he said VERIZON and your post from an thread before about Google copying the iPhone OS was fail as is your post here.

Apple don't pay Nokia? It's about time Apple got sued. The problem is that Apple is too greedy and how can Nokia be infringing on Apple's patents, Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work for the past decade.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    ^Wow, he said VERIZON and your post from an thread before about Google copying the iPhone OS was fail as is your post here.

Apple don't pay Nokia? It's about time Apple got sued. The problem is that Apple is too greedy and how can Nokia be infringing on Apple's patents, Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work for the past decade.
    How was it a fail? They really did copy design and features.
    If you look at the reasons why Apple countersued Nokia, will surprise you. You think Nokia does all the work and didn't copy Apple at all? Look at the statements Apple gave, or should I post that and explain all that here as-well.....?

What you said about " Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work"

Doesn't make any sense, thats like me saying Apples products/designs are COMPLETELY different from every other competitor and have made their own designs without anyone else sayings a thing. And Nokia comes in and tries to sue Apple, and gets countersued. And FYI, Apple countersued with more patent infringements than Nokia did, look here.

Code:
    http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091211/apple-countersues-nokia/
    Last edited by eZStaR; 05-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

its apple versus the world and doesnt look to me like the world is gonna win anytime soon. Steve Jobs plays for keeps just ask Adobe lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    its apple versus the world and doesnt look to me like the world is gonna win anytime soon. Steve Jobs plays for keeps just ask Adobe lol
    Lol well said

But what Apple is doing with Adobe seems quite reasonable, if you compare HTML5 vs flash, HTML5 wins 1000 times over again. Flash on mobile devices is a fail.

Thanks

I wanna play that game so bad

the one in the picture

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    They are all jealous! HAHA!

Thanks

This is the perfect time to ask yourself "Why can't we all just, get along?" Everyone is trying to take a bite out of the Apple, and then you've got the people who are the worms.
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markanthony3211 View Post
    This is the perfect time to ask yourself "Why can't we all just, get along?" Everyone is trying to take a bite out of the Apple, and then you've got the people who are the worms.
    Literally everyone is after Apple, to kill their devices.
    -Motorola
    -Google
    -HTC
    -Nintendo
    -Nokia
    -Microsoft

And more, yet, none of them have even gotten close to defeating Apple in anything. [Even suing Apple is a fail] What more to say? iPhone + iTouch +iPad, won't be going down anytime soon.

Thanks

thats alot of lawsuits
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post

WRONG! Nokia practically invented the cell phone, and almost all companies that create cellular devices and mobile devices that use GSM (sim) like the iphone and ipad, are required to pay subsidies. That's why nokia sued id october, and why they are now with the ipad, specifically the 3G. it uses GSM technology. Nokia makes amazing phones, they have a phone that's ben out capable of shooting video in 720P HD and has a 12mp cam. They do have amazing phones. N82 is my favorite. but it's apples fault for trying to screw the system and make more money. everyone e lse pays Nokia except Apple. they're a$$holes.