+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icon Labels Greyed Out after WinterBoard Update: SOLUTION

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
UPDATE: Winterboard was updated again yesterday with an included "White Icon Labels" package, so this post is mostly unnecessary now. Original post follows for archive: Originally Posted by finkle316 I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Icon Labels Greyed Out after WinterBoard Update: SOLUTION
    UPDATE: Winterboard was updated again yesterday with an included "White Icon Labels" package, so this post is mostly unnecessary now. Original post follows for archive:

Quote Originally Posted by finkle316 View Post
    I just updated my phone to the new winterboard. Now my text under my icons is transparent and grey. I wen into the themes folder nad deleted all the extra winterboard crap. But my icon labels are still grey and transparent. GGRGRGRGRGRGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Can someone please tell me how to fix this.
    To everyone with the problem that gives you light gray icon labels after updating Winterboard, three solutions for you:

SOLUTION 1 (try this first - simple, but might create problems with your theme)
    Open Winterboard, and set 'Summerboard mode' to OFF. Respring. This will fix your icon labels, but it might make some elements of your theme go away. Try this one first, and if everything looks good, stop here.
    If anything is wrong with your theme after doing this, switch 'summerboard mode' back to ON, respring again, and proceed to Solution 2....

SOLUTION 2 (it works - but labels might not look quite how you want)
    Download a winterboard theme in cydia called "white labels." In Winterboard, under 'Themes,' just select both 'White Labels' AND the theme of your choice. Respring. If you're happy with this look, stop here. For what's, in my opinion, closer to the stock iPhone look, go to Solution 3...

SOLUTION 3 (advanced - gets labels to look pretty much like they did before)
    Do Solution 2 above, then navigate to Library/Themes/White Labels/ and edit info.plist

REMOVE:
    <key>UndockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>color: white</string>

REPLACE WITH:
    <key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 11px; color: white; text-shadow: #000000 0px -1px 0px</string>
    <key>UndockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 11px; color: white; text-shadow: #000000 0px -1px 0px</string>

Then respring again.

It should now look nearly the same as it did before the Winterboard update. If they release another Winterboard update to fix, just remember to disable or uninstall the White Labels theme.

Cheers!

Last edited by wvcachi; 01-01-2011 at 03:40 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wvcachi For This Useful Post:

bdoyle159 (07-07-2010), chansed (05-07-2010), DisneyRicky (05-07-2010), finkle316 (05-07-2010), reaves205 (05-08-2010), xXrkidXx (10-19-2010)

Thanks

Shouldnt this be under ipad support, not news?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Yah, but this seems to be happening to a lot of users, so a fix in a visible spot is best.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-07-2010), thx4lf (05-07-2010)

Thanks

Put it where you guys think is best, but know that most of us are having the problem on the iPhone, not the iPad. Maybe my title was misleading....

Theme Creator
    Thanks

hey nice one dude, i didnt use it for an ipad (dont have one), but i used it on my iphone to make my theme look better than the standard white labels i created
    Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Check out my Piracy Sticky :- Click Here!

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RelentlessDan For This Useful Post:

PsychicGypsy (11-14-2010)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
    Put it where you guys think is best, but know that most of us are having the problem on the iPhone, not the iPad. Maybe my title was misleading....
    Gotcha, title changed.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

wvcachi (05-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much fo this solution... It was killing me as to why the labels turned grey.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

All you have to do is switch Summerboard Mode to off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lgreenberg For This Useful Post:

wvcachi (05-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    All you have to do is switch Summerboard Mode to off.
    True - and I edited the post to include that as a first try option . . . Though it does solve the icon label problem, it might cause some elements of your winterboard theme to disappear (namely the summerboard ones). My dock reverted to the stock iPhone dock when I did it that way.
    Last edited by wvcachi; 05-07-2010 at 07:18 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm using droid theme, so no effect......

Thanks

ipad ? this info works on the iPhone too and my dock was sunken and icings were hidden about an inch on the iPhone.

Thanks

Yeah, I agree this is more of an iPhone issue than iPad. This is where they moved it to. I guess as long as people with the problem are finding it, we're cool.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When I switch summerboard mode off it gets rid of my SB icons im using Dulce...

When do you think saurik will have a fix?

P.S. This does not affect my docked icon labels

P.P.S. Compared photo of Solution 3 white labels modified to old photo of font before update and there is still a slight difference. The white labels modified one has darker borders around the font
    Last edited by Halo2kid49; 05-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Halo2kid49 For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (05-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halo2kid49 View Post
    When I switch summerboard mode off it gets rid of my SB icons im using Dulce...

When do you think saurik will have a fix?
    Read solutions 2 and 3 at the top of the post. The turning summerboard off thing is just a "try this first" fix.

Im not sure about your status bar problem . . .
    Last edited by wvcachi; 05-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Update:

This does not affect my docked icon labels

Compared photo of Solution 3 white labels modified to old photo of font before update and there is still a slight difference. The white labels modified one has darker borders around the font

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halo2kid49 View Post
    Update:

This does not affect my docked icon labels

Compared photo of Solution 3 white labels modified to old photo of font before update and there is still a slight difference. The white labels modified one has darker borders around the font
    I see. Well it may not be a 100% exact replica of the original, but it's the closest I knew how to get. If anyone knows the exact coding in the plist file to get it perfect, feel free to contribute. Otherwise, I think this will do for most of us until they update.

Last edited by wvcachi; 01-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so so much "wvcachi" your the best.

This was killing me on my Iphone 3gs. Tried Solution 2 and didnt need to proceed to Solution 3. The 2nd one worked perfectly and all the labels are exactly what it was before

BTW just registered to say THANKS

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think I'll hold out for a fix before upgrading. Here's hoping that more testing is done in the future before code is shoved out the door. None of the fixes listed in this winterboard 'upgrade' are for the iphone/ipod touch, but we're the ones affected.

I'm going to have to research every update from now on, with the ipad now in the mix.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i updated winter board on my ipad yesterday and after it loaded my springboard was all misplaced and i had a some blank icon apps not the titles just the apps, and also it wouldn't let me do anything in cydia so i had to restore to be able to use it agin so i was just wondering if any of the above solutions would work becasue i don't want to have to restore again any help would be appriciated thanks

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wvcachi View Post
    To everyone with the problem that gives you light gray icon labels after updating Winterboard, three solutions for you:

SOLUTION 1 (try this first - simple, but might create problems with your theme)
    Open Winterboard, and set 'Summerboard mode' to OFF. Respring. This will fix your icon labels, but it might make some elements of your theme go away. Try this one first, and if everything looks good, stop here.
    If anything is wrong with your theme after doing this, switch 'summerboard mode' back to ON, respring again, and proceed to Solution 2....
    SummerBoard themes existed in a universe where the icon labels had always been gray: Apple only made the change to white labels with 2.x of the firmware. WinterBoard's intended behavior, and as far as I knew (and still believe), its actual behavior, was to cause icon labels to become gray if it was installed, in order to make certain these old themes worked correctly.

This update makes a modification to that rule, deactivating this backwards-compatible behavior if SummerBoard mode is off. The ability to turn off SummerBoard compatibility is a new feature, and not something that was capable when WinterBoard was first released, so I am still adding functionality to that case.

I have no clue why this behavior has suddenly changed for people, but let me be clear: no update of WinterBoard is ever going to come to "fix" the "bug" where the labels are gray: that is how WinterBoard is supposed to work. I can imagine releasing a version where this setting is a switch, however, defaulting to "on", and may very well add this to the next release of WinterBoard.

Assuming the reports that this behavior has changed are correct, I am terribly sorry that there was such a long standing bug in WinterBoard: the labels being white was certainly not ever intended, and may indicate a more fundamental bug in the mechanism. I will attempt to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
    I think I'll hold out for a fix before upgrading. Here's hoping that more testing is done in the future before code is shoved out the door. None of the fixes listed in this winterboard 'upgrade' are for the iphone/ipod touch, but we're the ones affected.

I'm going to have to research every update from now on, with the ipad now in the mix.
    I am sorry you feel this way, but gray icon labels are NOT a bug. I /am/ terribly sorry you ever had to put up with a version of WinterBoard that had default-to-white icon labels (which is obviously incorrect in historical context, and if you read the code is certainly not what it is attempting to do), but your attitude makes no sense now that this bug has been fixed. If you want white icon labels, your theme needs to specify this fact, or you need to stop relying on SummerBoard compatibility.t

Ok, after sitting around with a ton of themes and reading the code for this carefully, I think I'm seeing what the real symptom people are experiencing is: gray icon labels are occurring on some of the wrong themes. While gray icon labels is something WinterBoard is designed to do, it isn't designed to do them in all of the situations that people are currently experiencing them. I'm sorry about that, and I've fixed it in 0.9.3186-1.

For the record, SummerBoard mode is incredibly complex, and has so many rules to it that I really can't "test" everything that it attempts to do with every release. I already do so much testing with WinterBoard it hurts: I have to test it on every version of the firmware from at least 2.2 onwards (2.2, 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 all have different behavior), I have to test it on multiple devices, I have to test multiple kinds of themes... SummerBoard mode is just trying to do too many things to maintain backwards compatibility with a program I didn't even write . Please do note hate me for random changes in behavior.
    Last edited by saurik; 05-08-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

dr33Rocks (05-08-2010), wvcachi (05-08-2010)