+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Major Player Hops on the HTML5 Train to Apple

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Another Major Player Hops on the HTML5 Train to Apple

Apple's position on Flash is clear: there's no desire or room for it on Apple's most popular iDevices (at least from Cupertino's perspective). Consequently, if Apple is charting a course to new horizons that doesn't include Flash on the journey, others who want to make the trek with Apple similarly have their work cut out for them - namely, to also cut out the need for Flash wherever appropriate and whenever possible.

CBS, while no stranger to HTML5, is now delving deeper into Apple's desired territory. Anthony Soohoo, senior VP of CBS Interactive, is flapping his lips across the blogosphere today with comments that CBS will soon distribute to the iPad all the video content available on CBS.com. Essentially, CBS is going to pump out "all" video as HTML5, not merely "some" of it.

It should be noted, however, that the decision by CBS isn't an overtly anti-Flash position. Instead, it should be considered a pro-Apple posturing. According to Soohoo, quoted by Salon.com: “When we were looking at the iPad as a separate device, it had a lot more similarities to a PC in our mind…So for us, we wanted to make sure that video was available through HTML5 on the iPad first.”

Last week on MMI, we covered news about Microsoft having aggressive designs on using H.264-based HTML5 for its presence in the all-important web video content market. And while neither Microsoft or CBS are dumping Flash in Apple-like fashion, both companies - not to mention many, many others - are clearly endeavoring to more closely align themselves with Apple and the tremendous potential that comes with being a major player and content provider on the iPad.

Image via thetechherald

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Should save them money as well, HTML5 uses less bandwidth and resources. Glad to see we can finally watch CBS from an idevice.
    Really?

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

FOX, you're next!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

HTML5 = future, why make flash for iPhone when in five years people will be going "what's flash?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    HTML5 = future, why make flash for iPhone when in five years people will be going "what's flash?"
    You think you are smart by saying that huh? Well you are the EXACT opposite.
    Flash "Was" and "Is" the Future you fool. Maybe not for videos but the adverbs, games (online), Internet Site Customization, and many more. I really don't think that Trillions of Webpages will change to HTML5. No one these days wants to change the language of the internet. Would you like to learn Japanese? Would everyone else love to learn Japanese? Huh? If you learn it you have to speak fluently.. If not then STOP SUPPORTING HTML5 For Gods sake.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mardinn For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (05-07-2010), Iman07 (05-07-2010), Success.Is.Sweet (05-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome, First ABC app now this. I knew and know that the iPad is the future. But only the beginning. God the human race can be so amazing.

Thanks

Iphone cannot support html5 for gods sake.

So this changes nothing for anyone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    Iphone cannot support html5 for gods sake.

So this changes nothing for anyone
    Where's your evidence that the Iphone cannnot support HTML5?

Show me that, then I'll show you 100 HTML5 videos running on the Iphone.
    To live, you have to lie

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    You think you are smart by saying that huh? Well you are the EXACT opposite.
    Flash "Was" and "Is" the Future you fool. Maybe not for videos but the adverbs, games (online), Internet Site Customization, and many more. I really don't think that Trillions of Webpages will change to HTML5. No one these days wants to change the language of the internet. Would you like to learn Japanese? Would everyone else love to learn Japanese? Huh? If you learn it you have to speak fluently.. If not then STOP SUPPORTING HTML5 For Gods sake.
    I don't think you understand the reasons for flash being dropped, ask any web designer, they'll tell you. Html5 will fix the video issue with embedded content, why not play vid directly through the browser instead on a contained plugin that has to render it using your computer cpu before you can watch it. That's not futuristic, it's dumb, selfish and anti open standards.

As for interactive content, javascript 2, CSS and other executive coding tools will take care of the flash interactive content and games area. If adobe hadn't been such greedy little a$ses, then they could have altered their containers and allowed open sourcing for others to write for. Now they want flash containers to play html5 video content, WHY? Too late and plainly ignorant.

I think you're referring to "adverts", not "adverbs" (an adverb is an adjective verb) , well gif files have been providing animated content for years and still do.

I don't think "trillions" of web sites exist, but the ones that are looking ahead, are changing, that's a fact, driven by market forces. Our web design dept has been swamped by the number of clients wanting to update content other than flash! Why? Because they don't want to miss out on ALL those mobile devices that DON'T use flash, including 90% of phones that don't have flash support, not including the iPhone/iPad. As for those flash gaming sites, MEH!!! Who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    "No one these days wants to change the language of the internet."
    What planet are you from? It evolves all the time, otherwise we'd still be using Commodore 64's and booting from a floppy disk. Programming language and the text books used to learn programming change every year. It's not Japanese, it's computer language. Dude, wake up! Here is the future: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._gianduia.html

So the only fools here are Adobe and the pimply faced gamers that can't get a life and get over the fact that flash is not the future, not the way it's packaged now.

Flash is not the future, it is the past. Video rendering through a crappy plugin is OUT and flash games, well, they're for one handed joystick rubbing teenies. They won't be missed in the REAL world. Facts, not fiction. Get over it.
    Last edited by Kroo; 05-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Where's your evidence that the Iphone cannnot support HTML5?

Show me that, then I'll show you 100 HTML5 videos running on the Iphone.
    me going to that 100 best html5 sites. typing the url, and getting the blue brick.

try it

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    me going to that 100 best html5 sites. typing the url, and getting the blue brick.

try it
    Mobile Webkit has HTML5 support, but not the super crazy html5 you're seeing recently. Safari already keeps databases through html5 for sites like gmail so you can access them offline (try it with airplane mode).

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

CBS is a major player? if you say so....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
    Watch out everyone, the troll has woken.
    Usually what others accuse you of, is what they are themselves.

Again, another unintelligent, useless, gutless and pointless post, but we all know to expect this from you now. I look forward to the day when you actually contribute something intelligent and informative, instead of your usual anti Apple, hate filled rants, but life's short so I won't hold my breath.

Ignorance is bliss and stupidity eternal. Good luck on your mindless journey.

Thanks

Oh no! HTML5 is going to be the future. Flash HAS to be the future!

Seriously, get a life! What is so special about Flash? And who cares? It's a damn memory hog. And those who are saying that the iPhone has no HTML5 support are very stupid.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Banned
    Thanks

____________________________________________^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Watch out everyone, the troll has woken.
    Last edited by Kroo; 05-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

lrn2computer
    I'm sorry. I don't understand your text language. Please speak English.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!