Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Acquisition Frenzy" as Apple, Google Fight to Define the Future

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Acquisition Frenzy" as Apple, Google Fight to Define the Future

Apple has been in what analyst calls an "acquisition frenzy" since Google's purchase of mobile ad firm AdMob last year. In line with insider reports that defeating Google is now Job Number One at Apple, the computer maker is making significant investments aimed at bolstering the iPhone OS platform, at a time when Android is experiencing explosive growth.This last week has seen some purchases by both Silicon Valley giants - Apple bought Siri and Google acquired BumpTop - that could have potential long-range impact on the way that the whole industry goes in the future.

Apple's plan for Siri is far from clear, but many observers believe that the company intends to make natural-language voice-enabled search a fundamental part of the iPhone OS... essentially, doing for voice what they have already done for search. Rather than typing terms into subject-specific sites like WeatherBug, Rotten Tomatoes or AllMenus.com, the user just says what they want and the system uses semantic analysis to figure out which site to query, using the mobile device's GPS data to locate the closest option that suits the user's needs. The language processing capabilities used by Siri could clearly be employed to perform a number of other functions: everything from managing a task list to returning phone calls.

Meanwhile, Google's acquisition of BumpTop has industry analysts predicting that Google will use the Canadian startup's innovative interface for a future "cloudbook" or tablet. The BumpTop software - which, as a statement on the company's website confirmed, will no longer be available for Windows or Mac OS - uses a three-dimensional "room" interface that allows users to manipulate files and app icons in an intuitive way. Mark McQueen, an analyst for Canadian firm Wellington Financial, wrote in a blog post that "Bumptop’s cool desktop and underlying technology are a natural piece of Google’s user interface puzzle as they prepare to take on the current kings of all consumer electronics," in a reference to Apple.

The computing industry is in the midst of a shift to mobile, broadband-enabled devices. As during the move from large mainframes to desktop computers - when the graphic user interface largely supplanted the command line - the way we interact with our devices is bound to change. Both Apple and Google want to be the one to define that change.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Neither of them will ever "defeat" the other.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

aziel (05-04-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Neither of them will ever "defeat" the other.
    yep, and if it comes to a lawsuit they just counter-sue lol

diddler hit it on the head. but it's good news for the end user. compition is good

In a few years i think android will be up there with the big boys
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

It sure would be hard for google to even think of getting Chrome OS up there with Mac OSX or same with android and iPhone os. Also it would be hard for apple to ever overcome googles Internet popularity or replicate all of googles services. So i think it will either take many many years unless they get enough money to buy the other company entirely.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Neither
    I want Jarvis... And I'll take Scarlett too!

Thanks

I say dell wins lol jk. In all honesty it is really exciting to see these two companies go head to head in an amazing race. Can't wait to see what exactly is to come of this. Hopefully a revolutionary device/software of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    In a few years i think android will be up there with the big boys
    after seeing the new droid phone, i think iphone is gonna lose out, hard.

they're competing with too many companies at once.

Thanks

"Neither can live while the other survives."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post

I think one of the keys in this argument is the product release schedule that the Android devices have over the iphone.

It's only once per year that Apple has traditionally come out with a new device, where there are new Android devices out every month with the latest and greatest technology.

microsoft probly feels like a king on the throne, watching its brothers fight for number 2
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I think one of the keys in this argument is the product release schedule that the Android devices have over the iphone.

It's only once per year that Apple has traditionally come out with a new device, where there are new Android devices out every month with the latest and greatest technology.
    Example...

Snapdragon
    EDM

Thanks

They can't beat each other they need each other to stay where they Are. The more google throws out the more apple throws out to try to top it. When apple does that then google does the same. If google stopped competeing apple would think they don't need to make any advances and new gadgets as there no one to beat out now.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The rate of Android been used and the rate of apps being put in the Android Market are sooo much higher than the iPhone, it's only a matter of time before Android surpasses iPhone.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post

Haven't they gone through the same thing with Windows?

Default Go Google
    Google FTW!!!

@Apple, just imagine, you Google iPhone/macbook/iSh*t and theres no apple.com.....

I think we should stop buying iPhones so they stop making them. Apple doesnt deserve to have the best smartphone in the market, not even for a day...I mean we cant even put a background on the phone without jailbreaking and apparently for Apple jailbreaking isnt a thing we should do. I hate how Jobs thinks he's all that and doesnt care about his customers at all, and saying Flash is a thing of the past when it really isnt YET. Suing everybody, causing trouble for Gizmodo, and other things i probably forgot about. I cant wait to get my Nexus One...i will burn this iphone 3g as a ritual for apples downfall. apple shall be destroyed.

OK, i just wanted to express my anger and it may sound crazy but i HATE apple.

Then why are you here? Why did you buy the 3G in the first place?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undying_Pain View Post
    I think we should stop buying iPhones so they stop making them. Apple doesnt deserve to have the best smartphone in the market, not even for a day...I mean we cant even put a background on the phone without jailbreaking and apparently for Apple jailbreaking isnt a thing we should do. I hate how Jobs thinks he's all that and doesnt care about his customers at all, and saying Flash is a thing of the past when it really isnt YET. Suing everybody, causing trouble for Gizmodo, and other things i probably forgot about. I cant wait to get my Nexus One...i will burn this iphone 3g as a ritual for apples downfall. apple shall be destroyed.

OK, i just wanted to express my anger and it may sound crazy but i HATE apple.
    Grow up little boy. You're living in the past. And causing trouble for Gizmodo? Are you stupid or are you just stupid? Gizmodo bought a phone that clearly did not belong to them. They had no "owner rights" to the phone and they opened it up and showed it to the world. You can't knowingly take something or even purchase something that does not belong to you and take it apart. Especially if it's a trade secret. Use common sense you clown. And quit whining about Flash. If you don't like Apple than don't use the phone and get the f u c k out this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast