Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Rolls Out Pricey International Data Plans for iPad

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default AT&T Rolls Out Pricey International Data Plans for iPad

AT&T has officially released its pricing for the iPad's international data plans. Some have called the plans pricey. Others have opted for words like "outrageous," and... well, I'll keep it clean and stop there.

Every bit as expensive as the iPhone's international data plans, some iPad owners may similarly experience digital sticker shock in response to the four introduced "Data Global Add-On" packages. The plans, however, are not purchased on a long term or recurring basis. At the end of each month, you must manually purchase (from the iPad's Cellular Data settings pane) one of the four plans for another month. Simply put, there is no auto-renewal.

Fortunately, however, users can select the date they want their plan to commence in order to prevent any "expensive days" from going unused. Clearly, these plans are far from inexpensive and serve up limited data usage for a substantive sum of money.

AT&T's international (available within nearly 100 countries) data plans for the iPad look something like this:

• $24.99 per month for 20 MB
    • $59.99 per month for 50 MB
    • $119.99 per month for 100 MB
    • $199.99 per month 200 MB

Not a whole lot of bang for your buck. Then again, the San Francisco Chronicle recently made prospective iPad buyers aware of what the 250MB data plan, for example, actually translates to in usage:

* Browsing a few dozen Web pages a day and typical email usage (without downloading big attachments)
    * Looking at a few dozen Facebook photos a day
    * Watching a few minutes of YouTube video a week
    * Downloading a few songs and podcasts from iTunes per month
    * Downloading a few small iPhone or iPad apps per month, light app usage

1. Buy iPad 3G internationally.
    2. Buy a unlimited data 3g plan on another network.
    3. Cut sim card and put in iPad.
    4. ?????
    5. Profit.

That's Ridiculous! I'm glad I bought the the wifi version, i couldn't afford the data plan..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Wow definatelysucks.

they forget to mention that most of the world doesn't provide 3G, EDGE, or GPRS internet, or if they don't provide internet, it's pretty crummy and slow... bet they don't have a map for that hehe

hahahahahahaha this got to be a joke hahahahahaha AT&t you are full poupou.

Thanks

1) Those names sound like a completely randomly unknown celebrity
    2) What the hell does this have to do with this thread?
    3) That is definitely not the iPhone 4G. WAY off. Looks like a mytouch 3g

Anyways, these plans are a rip-off. $200 of 200mb!? Ever heard of iPhone pre-paid + MyWi?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

I'm not going crazy that is definitely not a mytouch, I know it has nothing to do with this thread but figured I would share to get some opinions... And Mary j blige is random to you? Where do you live?

Please stay on topic.

A great word to describe those: Bulls**t

Thanks

Those prices seem awfully high.
    Apples taste good.

Holy crap that's expensive! When I went on vacation in Italy last month, I just took my unlocked iPhone 3GS, bought a new sim card with phone+unlimited data plan over there for 25 euros and that's it, unlimited 3G everywhere I was.

What a ******* ripoff. And they wonder why people are so eager to jailbreak their phones...

It is always cheaper to just get a short plan in the country you are visiting than paying the massive fees.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer_0 View Post
    Holy crap that's expensive! When I went on vacation in Italy last month, I just took my unlocked iPhone 3GS, bought a new sim card with phone+unlimited data plan over there for 25 euros and that's it, unlimited 3G everywhere I was.
    Thats great news for me! I got 3 year shore duty orders to italy, i am in the navy. But ya i saw the map and VODAPHONE and T-mobile have a 3G network that works all over Europe i dont know what this NO 3G this guy is talking about....you just confirmed my curiosity! Thanks!

That's why AT&T sucks and have a bad reputation

ATT = s u c k s
    apple = ievil

iPhone 3GS unlimited data + MyWi. Love and only love.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast