Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Native (but very primitive!) SMS through iPad 3G baseband

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Native (but very primitive!) SMS through iPad 3G baseband

The iPad 3G is only a few days on the market, and already dev team members have jailbroken it. We can expect a public release soon.

Meanwhile, MuscleNerd just tweeted he was able to send an SMS using the iPad baseband. He had to use a T-Mobile SIM, but only because the AT&T SIM that comes with the iPad doesn't have an SMS plan attached to it. If it did, there's a solid chance it would send just fine.

This is early on, but a very cool mod - sending SMS from the iPad. I'm betting we'll see a jailbreak software released in the coming future to do this well, if not actually porting MobileSMS.app to work on the iPad. I doubt that'd be the case, since the graphics are only for iPhone. Either way - go jailbreak crowd.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

vtaran (05-02-2010)

Does sound interesting. Odd but interesting.

then give us the JB
    cant wait

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow thats actually pretty cool, i wonder if you could possibly make calls aswell with a headset? that would made the ipad extremely useful in the long run

any chance of phoning as well? otherwise i would give up my iPhone right now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to extremzocker For This Useful Post:

sk8ertim (05-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lol @ extremzocker that made my morning

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

lmao... more "look what i can do, too bad you can't" videos from the dev-team

Quote Originally Posted by vtaran View Post
    wow thats actually pretty cool, i wonder if you could possibly make calls aswell with a headset? that would made the ipad extremely useful in the long run
    im betting you can
    i'd imagine people walking around with iPad suitcases and bluetooth headsets permanently in their ear, or while at work

Don't really see the point of this. If you want proper SMS, get a Google Voice account and use it with GV+ on jailbroken iPad 3G. Push + GV = Win.

I would kill to see one of you fanboys struggling to hold your ipad up to your face and make a call

iPhones Skype works well.
    Even with a Bluetooth piece in my ear so it's probably doable

I love it. We will be able to make calls and text very shortly after JB.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

And what about the guys that are cutting normal ATT SIMS to fit in there, those have SMS on them right??????
    The New i4

Actually it could be very easy to port it since apple's apps are programatic and are set to [UIScreen mainScreen] we just add 2 to the UIDeviceFamily in the info.plist. I did it with my app to port it and it worked fine on ipad with a few tableviews but even the MainWindow.xib didn't cause any problems.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

EliteApple - nice.

all we need is a camera and to be able to make calls and all the people who say its a big iPod Touch will be wrong, it will be a big iPhone
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Sending SMS via either T-Mobile OR AT&T, which you have to pay for, is dumb. Send SMS via Google Voice, which is completely free, is smart. Lets just get the iPad jailbroken and get a nice Google Voice SMS frontend GUI going that we can pin to the home bar on the iPad and we'll be set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EliteApple View Post
    Actually it could be very easy to port it since apple's apps are programatic and are set to [UIScreen mainScreen] we just add 2 to the UIDeviceFamily in the info.plist. I did it with my app to port it and it worked fine on ipad with a few tableviews but even the MainWindow.xib didn't cause any problems.
    Englishhhhh?!?@?@?~#
    EDM

Skype works good on the ipad. I was talking to my brother with it... Just cause I could.

Quote Originally Posted by romeoz View Post
    Skype works good on the ipad. I was talking to my brother with it... Just cause I could.
    I phoned my parents with Google Voice/Gizmo 5 and Fring, just cause I could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast