Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Video Downsampled or Blocked over 3G

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad Video Downsampled or Blocked over 3G

Owners of new WiFi + 3G iPads are noticing that apps are displaying significantly downsampled video or none at all over 3G data connections. Users have found much poorer video quality on the YouTube app and that ABC's TV viewer completely blocks video when it doesn't detect a WiFi connection. AT&T is so far referring all questions to Apple, and Apple is silent.

AT&T has been implicated in blocking or restricting video apps on the iPhone in times past: as one example, the SlingPlayer app was prevented from operating over 3G until it was "optimized." The current version uses adaptive sampling to adjust to varying network conditions. The earlier version of the app was limited to WiFi use only, supposedly due to terms of use violations. AT&T has never released an explanation of why the "optimized" version avoids those issues.

AT&T was contacted by TechCrunch's MG Siegler earlier today, but the carrier neither acknowledged or denied responsibility, saying only "thatís something you need to ask Apple." Follow-up inquiries seeking further information were met with the helpful clarification "itís just a question for Apple." According to Electronista, ABC is claiming that the reason why streaming over 3G is prohibited is a result of licensing and digital rights issues, not carrier restrictions.

Back in February, the US Federal Communications Commission reacted to the iPad announcement by expressing concern about wireless broadband congestion, saying that 3G networks were already "reminiscent of the congestion dialup users experienced following AOLís 1996 decision to allow unlimited internet use." As a result, the agency's director for scenario planning declare that " we must ensure that network congestion doesnít choke off a service that consumers clearly find so appealing or frustrate mobile broadbandís ability to keep us competitive in the global broadband economy."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

nickxab (05-02-2010)

Isn't it kinda obvious that you won't have as great a picture on 3G as you will on WiFi?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

drjailbreakMD (05-01-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

You get poor quality over 3G on the iPhone too. Just hurry up and jailbreak it! I want my 3GS Jailbreak

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

i'm sure when cydia is available on the ipad, there will be an app to fix that.

This is not news,,, the iphone has the same issue,, why the ipad will be different.

I do not think it is AT&T restriction... cuz I have an Android phone in AT&T and I can view youtube in high quality just fine over 3g, But in the iphone it really sucks... The ball is on Apple's side...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

definately sucks,
    but a jailbreak could fix that
    MY3G or 3g unrestrictor

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

don't get all the fuss. my ipad nano works fine.

Spirit will fix all these issues!!! And the wifi model+MyWi will fix those issues being you are always on WiFi.

This is certainly a bummer, but as an owner of an iPad with 3G I'm not too worried about it. I wasn't planning on streaming any long videos over 3G to begin with.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Jailbreak = no worries

Thanks

I think its a GSM 3G weakness, because video on 3G is always blocky on my iPhone and on my Pre and other EVDO(3G) CDMA phones that play youtube are crystal clear(even better than an iPhone playing youtube over WIFI).

People are such idiots. This has been the case all along. The difference is so dramatic and noticible that you can't miss it even on a tiny iPhone screen. If you never noticed the difference between Youtube over WiFi and Youtube over 3G/Edge on your iPhone before, you are BLIND.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Isn't it kinda obvious that you won't have as great a picture on 3G as you will on WiFi?
    "Obvious" only because everyone knows that they want to save bandwidth on cell networks. 7.2mbps is faster than many US broadband connections AT HOME.
    Last edited by CZroe; 05-01-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

"Obvious" only because everyone knows that they want to save bandwidth on cell networks. 7.2mbps is faster than many US broadband connections AT HOME.
    It has less to do with speed, and a whole lot more to do with overloading the network.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    don't get all the fuss. my ipad nano works fine.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 05-01-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazing

what did people really expect over 3G?

Video downsampled over AT&T 3G? NO WAY, I'M SHOCKED.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    People are such idiots. This has been the case all along. The difference is so dramatic and noticible that you can't miss it even on a tiny iPhone screen. If you never noticed the difference between Youtube over WiFi and Youtube over 3G/Edge on your iPhone before, you are BLIND.

This man speaks the truth. I used the free Speedtest app today while out and about, and AT&T 3G is EXACTLY the same speed as my home internet connection (320-340KB/s down, 30-36KB/s up). The ping is awful (2sec?) but hey, its just as fast as my wired connection, meaning once I trick the iPad with Tricker3G or whatever, I'll be doing real HD all the time, just like at home.
    Last edited by NessLookAlike; 05-01-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    what did people really expect over 3G?
    3G is not the problem, Apple is...

The problem is that we don't live in a magical fairy land where networks have unlimited bandwidth and everyone can max out they're connections everywhere without having to worry about the other 80-100 million people they have to share said services with.

These limitations suck but are in place for a reason.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Video downsampled over AT&T 3G? NO WAY, I'M SHOCKED.

This man speaks the truth. I used the free Speedtest app today while out and about, and AT&T 3G is EXACTLY the same speed as my home internet connection (320-340KB/s down, 30-36KB/s up). The ping is awful (2sec?) but hey, its just as fast as my wired connection, meaning once I trick the iPad with Tricker3G or whatever, I'll be doing real HD all the time, just like at home.
    There are a lot of places where this isn't the case. Everytime I run a speed test in NY, I'm barely able to pull 100kbits/s (that is ~12KBytes/s)

VZW, problem sovled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast