Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Tears Down iPad 3G

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default iFixit Tears Down iPad 3G

The team at iFixit has conducted a tear-down of Apple's iPad 3G. And, while few surprises were uncovered, the iFixit tear down has the tech blogosphere buzzing about the tablet's innards and all that comprises the iPad 3G.

Some of the highlights include:

• The iPad 3G is almost impossible to tell apart from its Wi-Fi-only counterpart. A black plastic RF window is the only differentiating physical attribute.
    • The iPad 3G supports UMTS/HSDPA on 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz and GSM/EDGE on 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz.
    • It's unlocked!
    • There are five antennas in the iPad 3G. For all intents and purposes, the entire body of the iPad acts as a cellular antenna.
    • AT&T is the only US carrier that operates 3G on iPad-compatible frequencies, although iFixit notes that T-Mobile "should work," but on the much slower EDGE network.
    • The pre-release prototype given to the FCC is basically unchanged from the final mass produced iPad 3G model.

As always, the iFixit team serves up a step-by-step teardown of the iPad 3G that impressively delves into explicit, detailed comparisons to the basic WiFi version of the tablet. Incredibly, the casing of the iPad isn't filled to the brim by either the 3G or WiFi models, though iFixit notes that there is less empty space available inside the iPad 3G.

The basic WiFi model went on sale April 3rd in the US ($499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. ), with the 3G + WiFi model only reaching consumers yesterday on April 30th ($629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB and $829 for 64GB).

For a full breakdown of the teardown, mosey on over to iFixit for the full scoop and more details that you'll probably ever need to know.

Image via iFixit

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Very intresting, I just don't Understand what they mean by it's unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Prox View Post
    To be able to use on another newtwork (:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prox View Post
    So u can use any carrier with micro sd/or cutout SD card like posted on this forum before, for your iPad. And not limited to 1 carrier,
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Yeh, I think so... Well at least that's what "unlocked" means in the UK. People get their mobiles unlocked so they can any use it on any network instead of just the one

Thanks

^wow the UK is awesome, we need to unlock our phones to use on tmobile which is the only option besides Att in the entire United States.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

i just want to know how hard is it to add a 3g antenna to all iPads. like what's the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    i just want to know how hard is it to add a 3g antenna to all iPads. like what's the big difference.
    Probably not so hard as it is expensive. My understanding is that it's an extra $50 or $60 at-cost radio assembly.... It's not just some little antenna, but a precisely tuned radio frequency transmitter operating on five different bands.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    ^wow the UK is awesome, we need to unlock our phones to use on tmobile which is the only option besides Att in the entire United States.

Not entirely true there are alot of smaller gsm companies like iWireless that is a t-mobile sister company that unlocked sims work on too. Any GSM carrier should mean that this ipad will work on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Not entirely true there are alot of smaller gsm companies like iWireless that is a t-mobile sister company that unlocked sims work on too. Any GSM carrier should mean that this ipad will work on their network.
    iwireless run on edge?
    Last edited by RF1; 05-01-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hmmm i wonder if the iphone 4g will be unlocked, with just a microsim....

i think i will be buying a 3g model, once mywi works on the ipad
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten16 View Post
    So u can use any carrier with micro sd/or cutout SD card like posted on this forum before, for your iPad. And not limited to 1 carrier,
    By SD do you mean SIM? I thought SD was Secure Digital, a data storage card. Micro SD is just a smaller version. There is the Micro SIM and normal SIM and the iPad does use a Micro SIM.

See:
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module]Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - SIM Card
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital]Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - SD Card

iPad wifi + iPhone 3GS with MyWi = Fatter wallet

Quote Originally Posted by hackint0uch View Post
    By SD do you mean SIM? I thought SD was Secure Digital, a data storage card. Micro SD is just a smaller version. There is the Micro SIM and normal SIM and the iPad does use a Micro SIM.

See:
    Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - SIM Card
    Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - SD Card
    I think that's what he was going for. Was wondering the same thing.
    Last edited by blkeagle1; 05-01-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    In the UK we have 5 networks, Orange UK, O2, T-Mobile (To be merged with Orange), Vodafone, 3. 3 is just 3G. There are other networks like Tesco Mobile (O2) which is just one of the five but rebranded. Unlike the US we have a single frequency so once the phone is unlocked it will work on any network (except 3 but that is on the normal 3G frequency but they don't do 2G (GPRS and EDGE) they use Orange for that).

i wonder why they didnt just show the full breakdown here
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by blkeagle1 View Post
    iPad wifi + iPhone 3GS with MyWi = Fatter wallet

I think that's what he was going for. Was wondering the same thing.
    Yeah did the same.. Works great! Save that $130 bucks and only pay 30 for my iPhone 3GS.. No brainer in my book

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RF1 View Post
    iwireless run on edge?

Yup just like t-mobile whenever i went back to the midwest when i had my iphone 2g unlocked on t-mobile it switched over to iwireless and had pretty good service. No 3g tho...As to why i switched to *** *** AT&T i get more dropped calls with AT&T than i ever did with t-mobile but their coverage is pretty good just seems like service fades in and out alot.

It's work with T-mobile, but much slower edge network, so T-mobile need to fix their network....

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPad does NOT come with a AT&T plan with it. That's why it was so expensive, because it wasn't subsidized by a phone plan. So you could use the microSIM that came with the iPad, or you could cut your regular AT&T SIM to microSIM size, or you can cut your T-Mobile SIM to mircoSIM size. So many choice...
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast