Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPad 3G is Here - PICS!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Default The iPad 3G is Here - PICS!

The iPad 3Gs are not in stores til this evening, but those who pre-ordered and had them shipped are already receiving the devices. Mine arrived an hour ago or so, and I've been playing around with it a bit since then.

Obviously it's pretty much identical to the iPad WiFi, with a few marked difference both in software and hardware.

The top has a black plastic area instead of metal to allow for better 3G reception. It wraps around from the back of the iPad 3G to flush with the bezel on the front - so you've got both a bit of black in the silver frame of your iPad, and the black on the back.

There is also a SIM slot, which is essentially the same design as the iPhone SIM slots - although on the left side of the device. Same story - popping a paper clip in the SIM slot opening pushes the tray out to show the SIM. There is no unlock for the iPad yet, but once there is you should be able to also get 3G data through any other provider that offers it on the iPad 3G's supported spectrums (UMTS/HSPDA 850/1900/2100MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, and EDGE). EDIT: The thing comes unlocked, my bad.

The SIM included is a MicroSIM, roughly half the size of a standard SIM card. You /can/ actually cut a standard SIM card to fit these, which I imagine unlockers will eventually be doing to use the iPad 3G with T-Mobile or in countries it's not supported. EDIT: The thing comes unlocked, my bad.

Once initially connected to iTunes (required before the thing will even turn on, same as the iPad), it will ask you to set it up as a backup of a previous iPad or a new device. Then your iPad 3G will let you know it's awaiting activation, which for me took about a minute.

There is a new option in the Settings app for Cellular Data. You can choose to turn it on or off, as well as with roaming. You can also view your data account (which needs to be set up, more on that in a sec), and edit APN and SIM PIN settings. AT&T settings for APN came preset working with APN set to broadband, and both Username and Password are blank.

The first time you attempt to access anything which calls to the web (I opened Safari), a pop-up appears asking you if you'd like to set up a Cellular Data Account, or skip it and access it via Settings at any time.

Press Now, and a window pop-over opens asking for your name, telephone, password for the account, and email. It also asks which of the two data plans you'd like to choose. There is a $14.99 for 250MB/month, or $29.99 for unlimited usage. You are also asked for your payment information, via Visa/MasterCard/AMEX/Discover. Sorry, folks without credit cards, those are the methods.

Assuming everything goes through correctly (my card didn't go through twice, with no specific errors, and the bank saying all should be fine, and I had to use a separate card - seems the validator may be off), you'll get another pop-up alert letting you know your account has been activated.

You should be able to immediately use 3G at the speeds you're familiar with from your iPhone 3G/3G[S]. Some reports of people having to restart their devices before getting 3G data (even though the 3G bar at the top says its connected with good reception) have been heard, although mine worked fine immediately.

You can view your account info and change it via the Settings app at any time. You'll be asked for the name and password you set up initially.

3G so far is working well, and other than those software and hardware differences, this is pretty much an iPad WiFi - which you're familiar with by now. Netflix streaming over 3G works great - annoyingly, the ABC app won't play anything, and requires you to be on WiFi.

comex's Spirit jailbreak should work fine on the iPad 3G, and is being released "sometime after the iPad 3G release" - from talks I've heard, it is close. Obviously testing on the iPad 3G will need to be done before they release a jailbreak, but assume it's their priority.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Mine should be here within the next hour and four minutes.. "FedEx 3PM Guaranteed" better be more than just words.. can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    The fact still stays... there is no Jailbreak.. = Useless brick.
    = useless post....

im still un-jailbroken on my iPad and its not a useless brick....beat it with your negativity...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

If I have an IPhone can I share the data service with my IPAD or do I have to create a new account?

Too bad if there ever is an unlock T-Mobile will have to start supporting micro sim and those customers will be stuck with Edge speeds. But I guess if you are a T-Mobile user, the choice is simple. If you want an iPad, get the WiFi version and save $130 in the process.

Edit: @ isham.padron, you can share the data connection using an app called MyWi (Cydia/Rock, it is a tethering app) with the WiFi iPad. Just remember your iPhone battery will die very quickly unless you have it plugged in and charging.
    Last edited by southfrisco; 04-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

That blows... I pay enough for phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Too bad if there ever is an unlock T-Mobile will have to start supporting micro sim and those customers will be stuck with Edge speeds. But I guess if you are a T-Mobile user, the choice is simple. If you want an iPad, get the WiFi version and save $130 in the process.

Edit: @ isham.padron, you can share the data connection using an app called MyWi (Cydia/Rock, it is a tethering app) with the WiFi iPad. Just remember your iPhone battery will die very quickly unless you have it plugged in and charging.
    the iPad is already unlocked...its not tied to any carriers

Anybody having problems with MyWi ? since the ipad 3g release, i cant get mywi to work! wtf!

false alarm..had to reset network settings and now it works.
    Last edited by jayteez; 04-30-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisasticup View Post
    you need to pay another 30 for "unlimited" data
    No you don't if you know where to look...

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post

cant you just cut ur regular sim into a micro sim? i could of swarn i seen a DIY around here ...id say google it

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    the iPad is already unlocked...its not tied to any carriers
    T-Mobile 3G uses 1710 to 1755 MHz, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz which is an AWS band. There is one other carrier in the US that uses this band and it isn't AT&T. From what I read the iPad doesn't support these frequencies so it is Edge speeds for T-Mobile users. Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but I am pretty sure this is correct.

Even an unlocked iPhone won't work on T-Mobile 3G because of this, so I am pretty sure this is the correct thinking.

Edit: @carlos916, sure you can but that would be a pain in the rear.

@z3r01. its beautiful

lol@ that pic

i just got mine.

Please forgive me for using this thread to ask a question but seeing that you received your ipad 3g already can you answer a question for me?

I can't pick up my ipad until 5pm, and since I live in hawaii that makes me the last to pick up my ipad 3g for the launch day guys.

Hehehe...My question is does the 3G ipad behave like the iphone? In which the 3G data connection stays active while the screen is off.

I was thinking of using it to do messaging and was wondering if it would still receive alerts to emails or messages while the device was switched off.

Thanks!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i have the 64GB wifi ipad. I just use mywi on my 3GS when i need to use the internetz (ussaly there is a wifi signal when i need it). Anyway, i just couldnt justify paying for another service plan.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I was getting one today so I can be just as excited as some of you. I'll just play with my nearly month old WiFi model.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Do both units have GPS or is it just the 3g Version ?

I actually only use sms and 0 voice minutes whatsoever lol if the 3g can still receive messages while the scren is off i'll just shut off the berry and go strictly 3g data only. I do remote tech support and logmein ignition has been awesome.

I took back my 64GB on sat to get the 3G and this week with my berry only has been utter hell lol.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    = useless post....

im still un-jailbroken on my iPad and its not a useless brick....beat it with your negativity...
    So the ipad is a useless brick because you cant change how the icons look or the wallpaper??? Oh wait or use SBsettings?? Really what is sooo important post-jailbreak that makes that huge of a difference...lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast