+ Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Just wanted to add that I followed the tips here, and carefully trimmed my iPhone sim card, and it works perfectly in my iPad, as well as slipping back into
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Just wanted to add that I followed the tips here, and carefully trimmed my iPhone sim card, and it works perfectly in my iPad, as well as slipping back into the shell of the original sim card and working fine in my iPhone.

I won't use this often. Most of the time I have wifi. Other times I can use MyWi to wirelessly tether between my iPhone and iPad. But using MyWi for very long chews the iPhone battery in a hurry - so sharing the sim card from the iPhone to the iPad is a good option.

I always like to have a back up plan. I do my best to have good internet access wherever I am. This is just good planning.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got this to work beautifully. I have a USB 3G device from AT&T, took it's SIM, gut it dowon to size, then used Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone to add the apn settings. Everything is working great and I have a standard $15/month data plan on the ipad. Do they have any way of knowing I am using an Ipad and not my flip phone???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

works in europe netherlands as well,just get a duo-sim and surf away

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow that's great... i never thought about that...It works fine with my TMobile card
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This definitely works but the phone apn shows up on the Cingular bill, so I would suggest wap.cingular for the apn since that's what the iPhone uses. Thx melech-awesome find.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone4 SIM
    I have a non-jailbroken iPad and now an iPhone 4 and I gave the old SIM switcheroo a shot with no success in accessing the data network on the iPad. Tried using the APN as phone and the whole nine...anyone else have some success?

I lied, can confirm it works!
    Last edited by SuedeGopher; 06-23-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    didn't work for me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by talbott View Post
    didn't work for me
    Then you are doing it wrong, because it unquestionably works perfectly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Works fine for me, but I did have to reboot the iPad after putting in the phone's SIM. Prior to rebooting, I got a message about not being signed up for a data plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Phone as apn
    I stand corrected. AT&T has now converted all iPhone data usage to "phone" apn instead of the old wap.cingular.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Works like a charm! I initially tried the wap.cingular but no cigar...then changed to phone. Works Perfect Thanks!
    So the adding of the telephone ui works or not? Anyone try it? Results?

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

cool but I need a solution that allows me to have my iphone and ipad functional at the same time.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    cool but I need a solution that allows me to have my iphone and ipad functional at the same time.
    Solutions -
    1 - pay for a data plan on the iPad, or
    2 - pay for a tethering plan on your iPhone, or
    3 - jailbreak (as available) your iPhone, purchase MyWi, and tether (be prepared to chew up the iPhone battery faster than you can re-charge it)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Buna, am si eu un iPad 3G si nu reusesc sa ma conectez la internet. Mi-am luat un microsim de la Vodafone si nu merge. Tu cum ai facut cu al tau?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderica View Post
    I will receive my iPad Wi-Fi plus 3G in a few days but i still don't know a bunch of things so please help me. The device is locked on AT@T or i can put a romanian Sim card edit APN and use it? If it is locked can i used only with wi-fi for the moment or it needs to be activated with iTunes and a AT@T sim? Can it be activated without a sim card?
    Buna, am si eu un iPad 3G si nu reusesc sa ma conectez la internet. Mi-am luat un microsim de la Vodafone si nu merge. Tu cum ai facut cu al tau?
    Last edited by dragansorin; 07-24-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default This isnt working!
    Just picked up a new iPad 32 gig with 3G.

WHan I turned it on it wanted me to connect to itunes right away, before i could do anything else.

I modded my iphone sim to fit into the ipad and it noticed the rogers network. I changed the apn to phone. nothing.

any latest news on how to make this work??

WHAT AM I MISSING????!!!!!!!!!

DO the newer iPads have some better security?

Thanks

Changing the apn to "phone" only works with ATT. Not sure what you need to do for the Rogers network. Any Canadian readers...?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Success!!!!!!!!!!!
    Canadian owners with Rogers sim - I'm so pumped because I was told it couldn't be done.

Instead of changing the apn to 'phone', for Rogers users enter this for apn settings:

rogers-core-appl1.apn

That's it!! It gave me one more denial, then connected.

For those of you who don't know where the apn setting is, simply click the settings icon, click 'cellular data' then 'apn settings'

You don't need anything in the user name and password sections.

Sweeeeeeeeet victory

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question AT&T SIM Copy working in iPad?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I took a SIM out of my iPhone, went to AT&T and told them I somehow lost my SIM, and got them to give me a new one (this actually happened to my friend, and they gave him a free replacement), then put one in my iPhone, and cut the other one to MicroSIM size, and put it in my iPad, would both devices work? I am wondering because I heard 2 devices with the same SIM will be detected on the network, and will be denied service until only one device is operating on the network, meaning SIM cards will have to be constantly swapped, or whenever I want to use one, the other must be in Airplane Mode or turned off.

I would just pay for the special AT&T iPad service, if they let me have unlimited data. I know for sure I will blow their 2 GB max cap and be charged outrageous prices, so since we can't get unlimited data anymore, that's why I want to use the current plan I have with unlimited data on my iPhone, on my iPad too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by superriku11 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I took...
    You are wrong. Once you activate the new SIM, the old one is deactivated, and will not work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about using a 3G data sim.I have one from work that I use on my work laptop however it's best if I can just carry my iPad, I modded the sim card I got from work and put it on the iPad but I get a message saying that the card is activated however can't be activated for this device, I called AT&T and they told me I have to sign up for a new account. It's crazy since I already have an account just for data.
    I'll try to use the above settings tomorrow but Im not sure they'll work since the sim card it not a voice/data account its just data.