+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod AT&T SIM to Work in iPad 3G

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by Eninety2 To the OP, how do you plan on replacing your SIM in your iPhone? First, I cut it out with a razor so it will puzzle
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eninety2 View Post
    To the OP, how do you plan on replacing your SIM in your iPhone?
    First, I cut it out with a razor so it will puzzle piece back into the remains. It goes in and out of the iPhone flawlessly. Secondly, I have a separate business line through Att that has data and I don't have to pay for so the sim is staying in the iPad for good.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is pretty cool and I can see plenty of people doing it. If the next gen iPhone goes microsim (as has been rumored.confirmed... don't know which, depends on if you believe in the Gizmodo debacle), even more-so. ATT should seriously give some sort of discounted rate for people who already have an iPhone contract to keep this from happening. I hear people's statements that they wouldn't want to go phone-less, but plenty of people have more than one iPhone in the house (in my case my girlfriend also has one). I would have no problem popping out my sim from my phone and putting it in an iPad whenever she is around, which is almost all the time when we are not at work/school.

My only concern with this method is that ATT will catch on sooner rather than later I feel if this goes mainstream. They can tell what sort of device is pulling the data and if your account gets flagged (once said flagging protocols are put into place) you could be SOL.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

awesome guide melech

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    First, I cut it out with a razor so it will puzzle piece back into the remains. It goes in and out of the iPhone flawlessly. Secondly, I have a separate business line through Att that has data and I don't have to pay for so the sim is staying in the iPad for good.
    That makes 2 of us.. I stripped the SIM from my Samsung Netbook (Which i made into a hackint0sh anyway) and I'll be putting it in my iPad.

MiWi is great if you enjoy depleting your iphone battery within an hour.. No need to knock people (the OP) for being intuitive and savvy.
    White iPhone 4S - 32GB
    Black iPhone 4 - 32GB
    White iPad 2 - 32GB
    MacBook Air 1.86 Ghz OSx Lion

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hi, if you do not have a AT&T sim there is a trick to get it working .. because if you just cut it to match the size you will get "sim not installed" what you have to do is line up the 3 lines on the bottom of your SIM CARD, to match with the Micro Sim. Once you have lined them up, then cut it out with a box cutter. WOrks! BUT i am having a problem now. my service provider name shows up along with 3G but i cannot goto any site other then rogers.com, i mean i tried the "phone" in apn, and internet.fido.com. still same problem. any help? i know its connected to the internet because you can browe the rogers website. And i DO have a data plan. Everything was working fine when the sim card was in my iPhone 3GS. .... ANY HELP PLEASE?????

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to Thailand for 6 weeks and I thought I would have to pay rediculous roaming charges now I can just get a local sim and cut it out to use on iPad 3G.
    Thank you. You're a genious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if the "Iphone" 4G has a micro sim port. will i have to cut my t-mobile sim to unlock it???

Thanks

^ I really hope that is all we will need to do. Wishful thinking.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I doubt that all SIM cards can be cut down or they never would have been that large to begin with. It makes sense that any recent one would due to the fact that they would only want to make one set of internals for all devices.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a feeling a number of things are about to happen.

Since we now have the usb kit there will be a way to video chat on your 3g ipad since it's going to be rolled out on the iphone 4g according to giz. Now I think it's going to go a step further if google finally wins acceptance or is ported to the ipad via saurik. For those who did not buy the 3g and bought the wifi ipad will get an external device that will allow you to also take part in 3g data plans but will likely be awkward and will stick out of the bottom like a sore thumb. After all at&t doesn't want you missing out on the data plan nor does apple frown on selling you extra hardware. I think texting and phone service will be rolled out onto the ipad because afterall it would be insane for someone to not capitalize on voip.

To the dude with the conundrum of his stroking and talking..4.0 os multitasking will fix that. lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshadow10020 View Post
    if the "Iphone" 4G has a micro sim port. will i have to cut my t-mobile sim to unlock it???
    You are getting way too ahead....anyway using micro SIM was to prevent iphone users to swap SIM card but as we expected, we found vthe way already.

very interesting to see if Phone really works on iPad, then I will sell my iphone too.

as far as 4G iPhone, I am pretty sure iPhone 4G will be equipped heavily to block unlocks.

iPhone 3GS with w/AT&T
    Technician
    Smart Cellphone Repair
    www.ifixsmartphone.com
    Ask me all your hardware problem!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Melech518, quick question about the type of data plan that you have in your ipad. Is it the aircard data 5gb $60 per month, or a voice plan with $30 iphone data on there.

I'm curious to see if the $60 aircard data works in the ipad as I have that now and wouldn't mind plugging that in an ipad.

Thanks
    anaki

Green Apple
    Thanks

I will receive my iPad Wi-Fi plus 3G in a few days but i still don't know a bunch of things so please help me. The device is locked on AT@T or i can put a romanian Sim card edit APN and use it? If it is locked can i used only with wi-fi for the moment or it needs to be activated with iTunes and a AT@T sim? Can it be activated without a sim card?

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol just unlock your phone and get a gophone sim
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

nice, hope this will be the same for the iPhone HD
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Answer a few questions.
    First, it works with a T-Mobile SIM.

Second, you can sync it to iTunes without a SIM even for the first initialization.

Third, you will only get EDGE on T-Mobile.

The speed is the same as my 3GS on T-Mobile.

I wrote this message on my iPad 3G using T-Mobile, no wifi.

And I am using the old T-Mobile BB plan.

-Dk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dratk00l For This Useful Post:

thunderica (05-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anaki01 View Post
    Melech518, quick question about the type of data plan that you have in your ipad. Is it the aircard data 5gb $60 per month, or a voice plan with $30 iphone data on there.

I'm curious to see if the $60 aircard data works in the ipad as I have that now and wouldn't mind plugging that in an ipad.

Thanks
    anaki
    It is the voice plan with $30 iphone data on there. Great to know it is working well on T-Mobile as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

spazattack (05-02-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just cut my reg sim to micro sim. The AT&T account is data only. APN needs to be changed to wap.Cingular. All works well! Thanks!
    AmyTan,

Do you have the $60 aircard data only or the voice plan with $30 iphone feature?

Thanks
    Anaki

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

So it is confirmed that you can do this hack with a T-Mo sim and it works fine? But you just can only use EDGE and not 3G from T-Mo, because of the different 3G frequencies right?

Also, lets say you do this hack and cut your sim card to use your data plan on your iPad. You can move the sim back and forth from your phone to your iPad and both work fine, but is there anyway to get a second sim card from your carrier that is identical to yours? so you could keep one in your phone and one in your iPad all the time? I don't even know if carriers let you do that but who has an answer?
    i LOVE apple.