+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Israel Lifts Controversial iPad Embargo Today

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
For nearly two weeks, the tech world has kept a curious eye toward Israel in response to the country's ban on Apple's iPad. Israel opted to place a veritable embargo
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Israel Lifts Controversial iPad Embargo Today

For nearly two weeks, the tech world has kept a curious eye toward Israel in response to the country's ban on Apple's iPad. Israel opted to place a veritable embargo on the device until it had been thoroughly tested and inspected by the government. Upon the tablet's April 3rd launch in the US, Apple's Israel distributor did not soon-after provide Israel with enough details on the inner mechanics of the device to warrant the immediate introduction of the iPad to Israeli consumers.

As the Israeli regulations in the area of Wi-Fi are similar to European standards, which are different from American standards, which permit broadcasting at lower power, therefore the broadcast levels of the device prevent approving its use in Israel.
    So serious was the concern among officials in Israel that government officials ordered all iPads discovered in the country to be immediately confiscated, with fees imposed for the storage of the confiscated devices. The head of customs at Ben-Gurion International Airport reveals that some 20 iPads were seized at the country's international airport.

The somewhat controversial restriction, however, has now been reversed. Following a comprehensive technical review by governmental officials, Israel has concluded that the iPad's wireless signal will not disrupt other communications devices. Israel's communications ministry simply concluded that the iPad meets "local standards." As a result, this weekend iPads are now permissible in the Israeli marketplace.

But just because the iPad is now "legal to possess" in Israel doesn't mean it will be readily available there or elsewhere in the region. Due to international shipping delays and intense demand consistently outpacing supply, Apple says the official international launch of the iPad won't commence until late May.

Thanks

Already posted a couple hours ago I believe.

But I recommend eveyone to stay on subject here and not talk about other things concerning Israel, like the thread last week

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raptors For This Useful Post:

FuseUnison (04-25-2010), iamilya77 (04-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

ya please

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

to be honest it doesn't matters to us here in Israel and thats because
    the most expensive version of iPad cost 829$ in the US here it will cost about 1800$
    we rather take the chance and "Import" it ourself

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

can someone tell me why it was banned in the first place?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromcr View Post
    can someone tell me why it was banned in the first place?
    Israel are very high on their security, and are borderline paranoid about anything that is introduced into the country. The reason why it was temporarily banned was because of the WiFi signal emitted from the iPad supposedly had the potential to bring down other networks.

Thanks
    This is what has been happening for ages guys, I remember strict regulations present when the 1st G5 came out without the WiFi utility being available in the country. But it is good that it was lifted this fast as normally it would have taken even more time!
    (as for the cost, well, everything here is expensive, so I'm not at all surprised)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iJake View Post
    Israel are very high on their security, and are borderline paranoid about anything that is introduced into the country. The reason why it was temporarily banned was because of the WiFi signal emitted from the iPad supposedly had the potential to bring down other networks.
    chickens hmm no wait ultra chickens ... good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    But I recommend eveyone to stay on subject here and not talk about other things concerning Israel, like the thread last week
    I quoted this so people will remember to listen to this. Posts going "off topic" will be deleted.
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

good news for apple though