+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2nd Gen iPad May Sport Pricey OLED Display

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
It could be expensive... but, boy, it would be awesome. That may be the thinking at Apple these days, as sources reveal to Taiwan's DigiTimes that the 2nd generation iPad
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default 2nd Gen iPad May Sport Pricey OLED Display

It could be expensive... but, boy, it would be awesome.

That may be the thinking at Apple these days, as sources reveal to Taiwan's DigiTimes that the 2nd generation iPad model could serve up new OLED display technology that, while costly, would ramp up the iPad user experience to a whole new level.

According to the DigiTimes this morning, Apple is already hard at work on the second generation iPad, a model that will reportedly utilize the same design concept employed for the iPhone 4G. This information comes from sources in the know from "the component industry." So, if the report is to be believed, the second generation iPad with the super-duper display will roll out sometime next year.

Of course, the addition of an OLED display would seriously jack up the price of the iPad, perhaps even to a degree that will make the 2nd gen tablet out of financial reach for many. After all, the most expensive component of the current iPad is its LCD screen, which alone costs about $100. By comparison, a 9.7-inch OLED display - just the display - runs approximately $500. So it isn't impossible to envision a $1000 basic 2nd gen iPad model if the OLED display works its way into the mix.

If you remember, however, there were similar rumors before the January 27th unveiling of the iPad that Apple had already lined up a deal to deliver OLED displays for the 1st gen iPad. Obviously, that didn't happen. The cost of doing so would have all but certainly crippled the tablet's affordability with many consumers. Unless the cost of OLED display technology dramatically tapers off in the next twelve months, Apple may very well have to scrap its OLED hopes once again.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-19-2010)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Apple and OLED... Could it get any better?

But seriously... could it?

COME ON, SOMEBODY TELL ME!
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I hope it happens for the new iPad and the new iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I thought one of the major advantages of using OLED instead of LED was that it would be cheaper to manufacture? And that one of the (only?) primary cons of OLED was that it wouldn't look as great in bright light (see: outside)? Would it just cost [the consumer] so much because its fledgling technology or is there a legitimate reason?

Thanks
    i think your confusing oled and lcd... lcd is harder to read in bright light, but cheaper to manufacture than oled. oled also uses much less power due to not needing a back light. it is also thinner and if i remember correctly flexible.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

oh wow. let the next iPad rumors begin.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

As much as I love my iPad and would love to have an oled display for it, $1000 bucks for a basic model is a little high for me. I barely bought the 32 gb model.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Is it just me or does anyone else get a litle sick of these "Rumors". It gets a little old. the ipad has just barely been relesed and now theres supposed rumers of the 2nd gen one. Yea right. I remember all the rumors about the 3GS before it was released and i dont think any of them ended up true.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kickerman65 For This Useful Post:

dmaximob (04-19-2010), reanimationxp (04-19-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Not a chance in hell of this happening in the next two years. Two problems with OLED screens: huge price and quick death of blue pixels. Neither of these makes this a worthwhile venture. OLED is still in beta for all practical purposes and as yet only Samsung, with their "SuperOLED" has managed to correct the outdoor viewing issues. Whoever posted earlier that LCDs looked worse in daylight is misinformed. LCD is cheaper to make, works better in nearly all situations, and is a more viable choice. The benefits of OLED are better contrast and lower power use. Many years back the claim was that OLED would be significantly cheaper to produce en mass, but that's not even come close to fruition, nor will it for the foreseeable future. Right now, it would be impossible, IMPOSSIBLE, to justify a price hike of at least $400 just to claim you have a screen with better contrast on a tablet that can't be read outdoors and won't last very long. This is rumor for sure, but not based on any facts. "Insider info" my ***!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (04-19-2010), mortopher (04-19-2010)

Thanks

Already just like i thought they release then a month later another comes out and people get pis*** because they got the old model. But led is a real good thing to do to add more life to it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

OLED is the perfect technology to put into these devices that effectively get a refresh yearly as I believe it has a much shorter lifespan than LCD and other technologies. I am not sure I would want this (yet) in a television (until prices drop drastically), but nobody really uses these products for more than a year anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't believe until it comes out cuz most reports are rumores and no facts I understand that there trying to update this site with reports but I now that from 3gs there where alot rumors an I mean a lot

Thanks

I use my iPhone for two years and hope my iPad lasts longer. And I still use my original iPhone for development.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

well, when a 2nd gen hits, most likely next year, OLED won't be as expensive.

So calling it expensive now will mean nothing in a year.

as far as it being awesome, not really, bit better batter life...

IPS + LED backlit looks just as good if not better then OLED screens I have put it next to.
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 04-19-2010 at 02:36 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I've probably earned myself a reputation as not really caring about the iPad that much, I mean an OSX Netbook would have been way cool, but obviously Apple have to be different. But anyways, I really don't see what everyone is creaming themselves over OLED.....it's a light, thats all. Call me when the iPad has 160GB hard drive and oh I don't know, Bluetooth file transfer and a webcam and I might be interested, oh wait....no I'd still buy a netbook with OSX capabilities, thats runs "old clunky software"..... hang on a minute Steve, it runs OSX, does that mean that OSX runs "old clunky software" too? Seriously, since when have

Apple been popular for making a product that people actually wanted. Don't get me wrong, some of their products, though overpriced are nice, but why not start listening to their customers and give us what we want....I know, it's because if the 3GS was released back in 07, they wouldn't have anything to release that would have "out done" the original. Research iBlueNova, that app makes my first gen iPhone better than any 3GS
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay316 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (04-19-2010)

Thanks

Are you serious? THE IPAD JUST CAME OUT!

Thanks

Oled will come to macs before ipads. It will cost that same for a macbook pro as it will an ipad if they do this

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It would work for iPhone as oled would conserve battery better

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I agree that LED + IPS is just as good, if not better than OLED.

BTW, the rumour is bollox, just enjoy your NEW iPad and think about next gens alot further sown the line.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

they could just release two version of it with one OLED and with as the normal...