+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It's The WePad vs. The iPad This Summer

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
In what's being presented by some in the media as a pay-per-view worthy showdown between Apple's tablet and it's rival German twin, the latest "real" head to head competition for
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default It's The WePad vs. The iPad This Summer

In what's being presented by some in the media as a pay-per-view worthy showdown between Apple's tablet and it's rival German twin, the latest "real" head to head competition for the iPad comes against a little something called the WePad. Perhaps you've heard of it. A German company is taking aim at Apple with a new device that clearly knocks-off the tablet and attempts to infuse a few extra bells and whistles.

The Android tablet hitting the German market in summer is, without question, remarkably similar to the iPad, yet it supports Flash, sports a bigger screen, serves up a webcam and even two USB ports. And while the WePad's makers at Neofonie and 4titoo say the device isn't an 'iPad killer,' its ostensible goal - to take a bite out of the iPad's market share - is obvious. And the WePad was cleverly designed with certain iPad deficiencies in mind. Taking a swipe at iTunes, in fact, the makers of the WePad are taking every opportunity they get to notify potential buyers that no special software is needed to listen to music.

Most interested buyers, however, are seemingly fixated about the device's USB ports which, naturally, enable the tablet to be connected to a wide variety of accessories that will embellish the WePad user experience. Preorders can be placed in Germany on April 27th, with the product launch tentatively planned for late July. And with international iPad delays on the horizon, the April pre-order strategy for the WePad could help the new device gain some momentum over its Apple rival - at least in Germany.

The basic WePad delivers Wi-Fi capability and 16 gigs of storage for euro 449 ($600). A 32-gig with 3G modem, however, is naturally priced higher at euro 569. The makers of the WePad are endeavoring to present the German tablet as a relative bargain when compared to the iPad, given how the WePad offers "more functionalities" and more opportunities for modification and accessory use. As a result, executives at the German company expect sales to far outpace industry expectations.

Image via Boston Globe

Green Apple
    Thanks

I believe later versions of the iPad will have some of the things that this German iPad will have. As far as flash goes I don't think we'll ever see that…

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Interested, im gonna wait for the head to head before i make the call

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is soooo much better than that iPad sh*t! in for one. flash alone sells me on it. Apple - you nailed it with the iPhone. you f*cked up with the iPad.

Thanks

So the 16 Gb made by a make no one has heard of is the same price as the Apple device? and the 32Gb at approx $777 is more expensive than the 32Gb with 3G from Apple?
    I'm not sure many people will think a few extra features are worth it.
    I could be wrong....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I suppose the next line of high end notebook computers will then look "remarkably similar to the macbook pro" too right? Give me a break, tablet devices all look similar. Aside from thickness, a 5 year old tablet PC looks similar to the iPad as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idesideratum View Post
    this is soooo much better than that iPad sh*t! in for one. flash alone sells me on it. Apple - you nailed it with the iPhone. you f*cked up with the iPad.
    Im with you on this one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sandymary For This Useful Post:

idesideratum (04-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In my eyes, when a company sets out to specifically imitate and beat another product, even if they use slightly better hardware, they've already lost.

What sells are original products and Apple are pretty good at doing that.

Thanks

Great news!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They forgot to mention that it has a Card Reader and an HDMI-output.
    Last edited by bobby563; 04-14-2010 at 11:00 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mikef's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my iPad, of course I wish there were a few extra things on it, in it, and what not, but that said I'd rather have a company i know and some what trust make my product that i can rely on and get updated on a regular basis. I don't think apple has everything right all the time, but hopefully they start to interwork some of these bells and whistles into the next gen iPad
    3.0 3g *******

iPhone? More like MyPhone giancarlo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    So the 16 Gb made by a make no one has heard of is the same price as the Apple device? and the 32Gb at approx $777 is more expensive than the 32Gb with 3G from Apple?
    I could be wrong....
    If the user interface is cool then it might just win the first round. Integrating a camera, HDMI, USB and a larger screen with what seems to be a more open platform as well.....not to mention the ever fabled FLASH support. I like how Apple and Steve Jobs are trying to re-direct the way all websites are being made now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I could be wrong....
    The iPad is probably going to cost 450 and that's not 499$. So it might not be that expensive in the US.

Thanks

I find it less and less cool that Apple intentionally leaves out key features so as to get first-gen buyers to upgrade. We are just now getting multi-tasking in the iphone and only got cut/past 9 months ago. Anyone who says that wasn't intentional is living under a rock. This damn tablet has been rumored 3+ years now and they still couldn't get a camera in it?? C'mon.

Plus, I've been a devoted iPhone user since the OG back in '07 and have owned all 3 iPhone versions but the Android platform is looking more appealing the more I see of it. Apple better be careful lest the lemmings wake up a realize Apple has been fleecing them on EVERY release for the last 3+ years.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i think the ipad beats it cuz it has the app store, but this beats it in hardware

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll just wait for the 2nd gen iPad and will only get it if its jailbroken and worth the money. What's with the g*y names, WePad, iPad..
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 04-14-2010 at 11:15 AM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm returning my iPad TODAY. This device is what I always wanted in my iPad. USB, HDMI, FLASH, CAMERA, iTUNES-FREE, BETTER PRICE, BIGGER SCREEN.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    I'll just wait for the 2nd gen iPad and will only get it if its jailbroken and worth the money. What's with the g*y names, WePad, iPad..
    thats funny....

look , even a microwave has a usb port

not that i need it on my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    I'm returning my iPad TODAY. This device is what I always wanted in my iPad. USB, HDMI, FLASH, CAMERA, iTUNES-FREE, BETTER PRICE, BIGGER SCREEN.
    fail...
    Last edited by z3r01; 04-14-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I love my iPad, of course I wish there were a few extra things on it, in it, and what not, but that said I'd rather have a company i know and some what trust make my product that i can rely on and get updated on a regular basis. I don't think apple has everything right all the time, but hopefully they start to interwork some of these bells and whistles into the next gen iPad
    you got one company laying it all in the table for you versus apple who hasn't.

z3r01 your delusional, not even worth my time.

BTW i didn't say the iPAD is not a great device cuz I really do like it but the We sounds too good to pass up, after 14 days I could always return it for an iPad. no problem. the fangirls gotta stop attacking me for testing a device out.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 04-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks

Will be funny once flash is replaced by HTML 5
    Then all apple device competitors will have to think up a new and dumb reason
    Keithsta

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast