+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It's The WePad vs. The iPad This Summer

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by lolcats1 syncing an ipod? boy, that's a new one Seriously? That's like saying I wanting sync my iPod video with my iPod nano. The iPad has an
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    syncing an ipod? boy, that's a new one
    Seriously? That's like saying I wanting sync my iPod video with my iPod nano. The iPad has an iPod component to it!! It's not meant to be your primary computer with hundreds of gigs of storage to serve up media to other devices... Geez!! I feel like I'm talking to a group of 15 year olds.. Oh wait... That's about the median age on this forum these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

an accessory thats only for convenience but not necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post

Buy a laptop?
    only an option
    Last edited by z3r01; 04-14-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

An SD card slot would be good. iPad 2nd gen here I come. Hopefully it will be able to do stuff the iPhone can't and will be jailbroken fully :P

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

The camera attachment works for that for now. But yea I think an card reader wouldn't be horrible but at least they give you an option with the addon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Poseidon, you've made some valid points - but ultimately my point is this. If the iPad should be considered not a netbook replacement, but more in line with the ipod line, then havent they just cannabalized the market for the iPod touch?

With the features this thing has in its first iteration, the only 2 things the iPad has over iTouch is larger screen estate and a 3G option. If I wanted 3G on an iTouch, I would have (and did, and then sold, and never returned) an 3GS. As for the screen estate - I am impressed, but frankly I am not interested in using this over a Macbook Air. I mentioned this in a another thread. For the $800 you'll spend a nicely equipped ipad touch that can read ebooks, you can buy an Alienware m11x. Yeah. Flight Commander HD @ 1024x768 vs Mass Effect 2 at 720p. Your pick.

If anything its more of an inconvenience because part of the awesomeness of laptops as sitting them on your lap and not having to hold it with your hands. You lose this nifty little feature with iPads. I'm not buying a separate stand for 50 bucks to allow my media device to not have to layflat on a table. Nor am I going to hold an ipad in my goddamned hand at a 45 degree angle for 90 minutes while I'm watching a movie.

Now I could live with that, IF it offered a full OS experience. Running a cell phone operating system on a device that isnt a cell phone is a smart BUSINESS decision because it costs you virtually nothing in development, however it is not going to cut it moving forward. And while I appreciate the attempt to move the industry forward from flash, not supporting the current industry standard is just plain dumb. So while you wait until 2011 to experience HTML5 en masse across the internet - enjoy your blue legos.

And Cerote is right, a flash reader could have been awesome on the iPad.

The iPad (and these other tablets that dont offer a full desktop-like OS experience for that matter) is going to turn heads for a while, than slowly go the way of the newton camera. Remember the Newton? Exactly.

Also, stop hating on Android - Screw the app market, the OS itself if improving at a truly terrifying pace. 17 months people. It hasn't even been out a year and a half yet.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 04-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Jobs did mention that the Newton was something he wanted to be big but the technology that we have now he said he is able to make his true vision come out.

I don't use the iPad for my normal computing stuff but as a living room device it is outstanding. My GF never cares to actually use a computer or the internet for anything but since I have gotten the iPad she has been using it non stop. It is just one of those devices that are big enough to look at the internet and just a little more to keep you entertained but not enough to take out a full computer.

I see how it could cut into iTouch but most that have iTouch love the size because it is still a highly portable music device. The iPad goes further than just music with the screen size.

Thanks

After using this thing for over a week I can say the iPad is much more kin to a laptop than an iPod touch. The screen real estate opens up worlds of possibilities the touch could never be practical for. Gaming on the iPad is amazing while the same games on my iPhone are worthless and almost unlplayable such as command and conquer. Surfing the web on a touch is just plain stupid as you have to zoom in and out all the time or get the mobile version of sites. The ipad or any other tablet should not run a full OS yet because as the Slate has proven the battery life will be horrible at best and a single core atom processor with a mere 1 gb of ram to run a full version of windows will be very very poor. I do not think this device will eat into the touch market at all because it won't fit in your pocket which is the main advantage to that device which is now the iPad nano
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

@ Poseidon - I think Cerote hit it right on the head, when he brought up jobs saying that the newton was not ready because the tech available at the time was insufficient. I liken this to the iPad now, because youre right - and Atom processor and 1 GB of ram in a tablet running win 7 or SL would blow garden hose.

So that said, the iPad won't really be all than it CAN be until hardware progresses to the point where something the size of Courier, iPad, WePad (rolleyes), etc can offer a desktop computing experience - while maintaining the chic look and easy traveling size. In other words, iPad 3 or 4 should be the sh*t... lol.

But in the meantime, I just cant recommend this over whats already out, because while its good at what it does, there is too much that it doesnt do to really replace anything - other than the iTouch.

I'll put it this way - would you travel with BOTH a pad and a touch in your bag? Knowing that you would STILL have to bring a laptop?
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 04-14-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

By the time iPad v3 or v4 is out then desktop computers will be a step ahead again. They are already putting faster and more core processors out there. This is something mobile will never catch up to because of the strain on battery for portable devices.

Thanks

[*yawny*]
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idesideratum View Post
    this is soooo much better than that iPad sh*t! in for one. flash alone sells me on it. Apple - you nailed it with the iPhone. you f*cked up with the iPad.
    Ok, when the iPhone first came out ,there were free phones out that had better specs than the iPhone, but specs doesn't really matter for competition with the iPhone, it's just hype and a large app market. Then again, the only market capable of doing this is the Android market, but Google needs to learn to release one major product instead of lots of smaller products on which they put their software...But yeah, Google wants its customers to be happy more than pure profits, so I guess it's all for good. As for iPad killer, I say it's not possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    ......It's not meant to be your primary computer with hundreds of gigs of storage to serve up media to other devices... Geez!! I feel like I'm talking to a group of 15 year olds.. Oh wait... That's about the median age on this forum these days.
    ++1
    killall Terminal[]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^ You would want still more than 16GB of memory in the crappy cheap model. You Americans got the iPad at a good price but everywhere else in the world people will get ripped off especially here in the UK. Until it doesn't get rid of them annoying blue bricks in Safari and no MS Office, it is pointless for now. Oh and a jailbreak and SD card slot.

Thanks

iWorks...., sd slot is coming...flash..who needs it? when everyone switches to html5 then what are u gonna do with flash?
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That thing is not ready at all! They had a press conference yesterday and it was a disaster. They had ONE WePad to show, and the one they had to show wasn't even running their WeOS. It was running Windows 7 with a WeOS movie running and the touchscreen was disabled. That became obvious as the CEO of the company was holding the WePad up for the press to take pictures the Windows Media Player crashed and an error message was displayed.

Here is the link to the story with a picture (it's in German): WePad: Wunder-Flunder oder Vaporware? - News - CHIP Online

Thanks

HAHAHAHA... huge FAIL. You hold a press conference with a product that isn't even done yet?! "We have this awesome product with a new WeOS and Flash and USB ports and a touch screen!!!" ..... "Just kidding.. it's still in development... so here's a touch screen that doesn't respond to touch... runs Windows.. and not well considering a native program just crashed."

Everyone go out and pre-order this one today!! WOOO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

i think some people are so sucked in to a certain brand e.g apple and get emotionally attached to it that any other product that comes out cant compare to apple even if they havnt seen it working i think thats pathetic its exactly the same as the ps3 vs the xbox war.... "ps3 is better" no it aint "xbox is better" actually they are both good at what they do. I don't follow brands or makes, if a product is good enough for me it will get my cash.

i have reason for wanting flash, external hardrive usb ports etc etc unfortunately apples ipad cant provide this so i have no use for it.

Thanks

They announced the existence of a WePad that doesn't even exist yet! They didn't even have a working prototype! Are you freaking kidding me?! Can you imagine a REAL company like Dell, Micrsoft, Nokia, Google, Apple, IBM.. etc... holding a press conference like this! Imagine Steve Jobs unveiling the iPad a couple months ago... but the touch screen didn't work... it ran windows (or whatever)... and the ONE program it opened up crashed! I mean come on... there's not even a product here to compare to the iPad... the WePad is still just an IDEA! lol.. omg I feel like deleting this whole thread because this product is a JOKE and nothing more than media hype.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Lot's of things claim to be better than the iPhone, so far I've seen none that are (IMHO - but I'm sure others will go on about Android).
    I'm sure this is just one of many iPad beaters - I would be surprised if any of them will beat it - at least for the foreseeable future.
    But, if it looks good on paper there are plenty of Apple bashers who will want one.
    If you don't like the iPad, don't buy one.
    If you want to buy something just because on paper the specs look better then I'm sure you've already got rid of your iPhone and bought one of the many phones which have better specs on paper.
    I don't like Macs, Have been using PCs for more years than I care to remember, I used Windows Mobile for many years with the odd foray into Symbian. I've had my iPhone for longer than any other mobile I've owned in the past 10 years.
    If you can't see what an iPad is for, fine, don't buy one..
    if I can scrape together the money I might buy one. Because I want one.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    iWorks...., sd slot is coming...flash..who needs it? when everyone switches to html5 then what are u gonna do with flash?
    When its actually advantageous to use HTML5 I will use it without a problem. Never seen anyone AGAINST HTML5, or the natural progression on technology. But to prematurely ban the current standard from all of your devices is stupid, and arrogant.

I liken this to buying an Ethanol only car. Sure its great for the environment, future friendly and all that, but if you have to drive 80 miles out of your way to the nearest gas station for a fill, what the hell is the point? Apple should have supported flash NOW, until HTML5 actually has enough of a footprint to warrant the decision to phase out Flash.

On top of that, me (and most consumers) won't buy a product thinking that Version 2 of said product is going to be so much better. If you're so convinced that V2 will be so amazing, then why buy the first - knowing that is isnt really all you were hoping for? Are you really balling like that to be able to buy two 600-800 dollar non-laptop or phone devices in one calendar year? No wonder we're XX trillion in debt.
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9