+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple (Kinda) Acknowledges iPad WiFi Issues, (Sorta) Suggests Workarounds

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Some iPad owners began reporting WiFi problems after bringing their new iPads home on Saturday, but Apple has been silent on the matter until today. In a new Knowledge Base
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple (Kinda) Acknowledges iPad WiFi Issues, (Sorta) Suggests Workarounds

Some iPad owners began reporting WiFi problems after bringing their new iPads home on Saturday, but Apple has been silent on the matter until today. In a new Knowledge Base article, Apple notes that iPads may have connectivity issues and offers ways of dealing with it. However, the workarounds mentioned have not solved all problems, and at least one user found that a replacement iPad worked fine.

Several different WiFi-related problems have been reported so far. The most common appears to be weak and/or unstable connections. Many users that tried to reconnect to to home or hotspot networks after waking their iPads from sleep found that the device wouldn't reassociate. Apple issued a Knowledge Base article Saturday ("Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections") that many users found… well, kind of lame: it offered generic advice such as "Move closer to the Wi-Fi router or hotspot" and "verify the Wi-Fi router is connected to power and turned on."

The Knowledge Base article posted today acknowledged that "under certain conditions," the iPad does not reconnect to a wireless network after waking from sleep. The problem is limited, according to Apple, to multiple-band a/b/g wireless gateways where the same network name is used for multiple bands. The suggested workaround is that users set up separate network names for each band and make sure the same encryption methods are used for the different bands.

Some posters to the support forums noted that the problem went away when they set the iPad's brightness above minimum. And one iPad user took their problematic iPad back to the Apple Store for exchange, and didn't experience the problem with the replacement unit, suggesting that this is a manufacturing issue with certain iPads.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

LittleJob (04-08-2010), reaves205 (04-07-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

that what happens when ppl rush to buy something...you all were just testers...thats why you have to wait!!!! til they fix the bugs

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine's been having the connectivity issue, kind of gets annoying. Oh well, still love everything about it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

as u should..im just saying...that normally happens when ppl rush

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzdre View Post
    as u should..im just saying...that normally happens when ppl rush
    That's just dumb. The wifi issues are just on a small percentage of iPads. If it continues to have an issue, take it into an Apple Store and they will replace it. They have the best customer server when it comes to fixing these issues.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MJedi's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if it's due to the aluminum back. With the 3G version having that plastic top for the 3G antenna, I hope it will improve WiFi reception.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    That's just dumb. The wifi issues are just on a small percentage of iPads....
    I hate to disagree with the boss ..... but I will

History proves early users experience more problems. This applies to almost any new product.
    Exceptions do exist, but they are rare.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks

I don't have bad wifi signal. But do experience the ipad sometimes not automatically reconnecting with wifi after waking from sleep. I have to manually reconnect from settings. Hopefully a firmware patch will fix. As I bought from best buy and there is no apple store here.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@ mes true the ipad feels like it was rushed and needed to wait until 4.0 and probly new feature were expected like camera and newer processors but it feel like ur just testers and there will be and version 2 coming soon with iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

did you guys did a full restore? when i receive mine a experienced. i decided to do a full restore and so far so good!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Mine is working great. I have a dual band g/n Netgear router with separate names for each n band and the same encryption for both bands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waheedtarin View Post
    @ mes true the ipad feels like it was rushed and needed to wait until 4.0 and probly new feature were expected like camera and newer processors but it feel like ur just testers and there will be and version 2 coming soon with iPhone
    The iPad is a great idea --- and I want one . But I've learned from experience to wait. Wait for bug fixes in software/firmware, wait for the second generation of a new model car, wait for almost everything. I like to be on the cutting edge, not the bleeding edge

The 3GS was an exception to my 'wait rule'. Waiting allowed Apple to update their iBoot and further restrict jailbreaking/restoring/unlocking.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-07-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
    I wonder if it's due to the aluminum back. With the 3G version having that plastic top for the 3G antenna, I hope it will improve WiFi reception.
    I believe the black apple logo on the back is the antenna cover. Its made of plastic. It appears to be chrome at a quick glance but if you inspect it closely you'll find that its actually black plastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    I hate to disagree with the boss ..... but I will

History proves early users experience more problems. This applies to almost any new product.
    Exceptions do exist, but they are rare.
    I agree but I could never be one of those guys who waits a couple years for the DVD format to prove itself

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I agree but I could never be one of those guys who waits a couple years for the DVD format to prove itself
    A couple years!!!
    With Apple software, wait a month or 2, with new H/W, one year max!

With Blue-Ray ----- I'm still waiting (hahaha)
    [Blue-Ray === don't need it, don't want it, can't use it]
    Last edited by Mes; 04-07-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I love new technology and gadgets too much to wait unless its from a crappy manufacture. With Apple, I feel like I am not really gambling. I have always had good luck with their products.

I bought a PS3 on launch day and started my blu-ray collection.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So what do you guys think? WiFi or 3G+WiFi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

3G+wifi for sure...but for now I can handle my wifi only model
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbizzy1 View Post
    So what do you guys think? WiFi or 3G+WiFi
    Wifi since the cost is ridiculous for a 3G antenna. You can simply tether to get a connection anywhere.
    Really?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

wcstryfe10 (04-07-2010)

Thanks

mine is affected.

and no amount of saying, "only a small % are affected" will make mine less affected or make me feel any better.

she's going back just as soon as I decide for sure if that product is worth replacing in my computing world.