+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Much Does it Cost to Build an iPad?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
We all know how much the iPad and its various models cost. But how much do the components that actually comprise the iPad really cost? According to the analysts at
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default How Much Does it Cost to Build an iPad?

We all know how much the iPad and its various models cost. But how much do the components that actually comprise the iPad really cost? According to the analysts at ISuppli, about $260.

Since officially going on sale last weekend, everyone it seems has been deconstructing the iPad - and not just the guys at iFixit. In addition to jailbreakers, modders, and your run of the mill Apple fan boys, there is no shortage of individuals who want to know everything about the iPad from the inside and out. ISuppli's latest findings help to nicely satisfy that growing appetite.

All told, the components that make up the $260 iPad include several chunks that largely account for the bulk of the tablet's cost of production. For example, the touch-screen display alone ($95) is responsible for more than one third of the entire materials cost of the low-end iPad. The neat little processor (brought to life by Apple and Samsung) chips in another $26.80 to the total package.

Of course, if you're talking about a whopper of an iPad - the $699 64-gig model, for example - the cost of production spikes substantially, with Apple's materials cost settling in at $348.10, according to research from ISuppli.

Shortly after the iPad was announced on January 27th, iSuppli analysts estimated that the cost of the device's components would run Apple about $220. That prognostication, however, was blithely unaware of the sophisticated innards of the tablet computer, which is packed with more silicon chips than previously anticipated.

Naturally, representatives for Apple won't confirm or deny iSuppli's findings - but did anyone really expected otherwise?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (04-07-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow that is so cheap
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You gotta keep in mind the prices Apple receives for buying thousands upon thousands of these parts in bulk.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wonder how much the upcoming iphone 4G cost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    You gotta keep in mind the prices Apple receives for buying thousands upon thousands of these parts in bulk.
    i agree...and putting it all together!!

Does anyone know when they are coming to australia and how much?? would love to get one!!!
    Edit Poseidon: Edited for readability
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 04-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

8 retarded posts deleted. Stay on topic!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You guys need to keep in mind the research and development that goes into these devices, advertising, and also cost to swap it

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

No surprise here, Apple's in the business to make money.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How much profit they make about $100 cause of the people who work at apple there fees and so much more so that's not that much but still $700000x100=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's just the begining lol this mf will be swimming in $100 bills alot of them with a big *** deepend

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems fair enough, the mark-up is just around the 100%.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

260 dollar. What do I win?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i dont care how nuch it cost to make one, why dont we all go and get all the parts and try to built it our selfs and see if it comes out this nice, oh please who cares? everyone is out to make monney. why should apple and steve not make any money off their hard work and amazing device. i dont care i'm happy with my device and next year they will get my money again and again hahahahahahaha.

i beg all the Moderator here stop posting this king of news here, please this is more garbage that we dont need to here about apple or the way that they market and sell their amazing devices that they give us for realy nothing. i remenber in the early 80's when motorola would come out with one garbage phone every month and sell it for 1500 or more, no one cry about it so please stop crying about apple's prices . what we need to do is try do get back some of the money that motorola got from all of us ,for the garbage phones that they gave us hahahahahahas.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 04-07-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The cost to make to cost to purchase is moot. That's how business is run, it has to be so as to make a profit. If you want to complain about it then build one yourself. I mean this goes for ANYTHING. a music cd. Cost .10 to make and is charged $15. A pair of sneakers is probably $10 or less in material, but can run upwards of $70. Sure I wish it was cheaper. But is it unreasonable? Not at all. The iPhone cost about the same afaik.

Thanks

Making over 100% profit on each unit is a little too much but hey if I was Jobs id keep the same price. Maybe even more. But that the jewish blood in me speaking

Thanks

Don't forget the price it costs to pay the people who transport and build these, even if it is cheap labour

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

What a huge profit margin. good for Apple. They'd sell more if they lower the priced as it is just a bigger iPod Touch where hardly any extra development went into it.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    i dont care how nuch it cost to make one, why dont we all go and get all the parts and try to built it our selfs and see if it comes out this nice, oh please who cares? everyone is out to make monney. why should apple and steve not make any money off their hard work and amazing device. i dont care i'm happy with my device and next year they will get my money again and again hahahahahahaha.

i beg all the Moderator here stop posting this king of news here, please this is more garbage that we dont need to here about apple or the way that they market and sell their amazing devices that they give us for realy nothing. i remenber in the early 80's when motorola would come out with one garbage phone every month and sell it for 1500 or more, no one cry about it so please stop crying about apple's prices . what we need to do is try do get back some of the money that motorola got from all of us ,for the garbage phones that they gave us hahahahahahas.
    I don't understand.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Even considering the research and development, assembly, shipping, and various other costs, I doubt it costs more than 50 bucks per unit to take care of those costs. Not to mention the more units that are produced/sell the less it effectively costs per unit.

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I don't understand.
    I am certain you understood, you just anted to poiny out a poorly written post.

Paraphrased, he is saying that there should be a profit margin and there is one. Also, this is a crap "news" post (in his opinion).
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-07-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

dale1v (04-07-2010), zozodouce (04-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Well for the high cost you have to factor in all the money Apple spends on advertising, manufacturing, buying out smaller companies and paying employees. So of course the iPad is going to cost more to buy then to make. They have to make a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Even considering the research and development, assembly, shipping, and various other costs, I doubt it costs more than 50 bucks per unit to take care of those costs. Not to mention the more units that are produced/sell the less it effectively costs per unit.

I am certain you understood, you just anted to poiny out a poorly written post.

Paraphrased, he is saying that there should be a profit margin and there is one. Also, this is a crap "news" post (in his opinion).
    thank you my brother, you understood what i was trying to say. i was at work when i wrote it, and my boss was around i was trying to do it fast lol.