+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Don't Keep Your iPad in the Sun... or in the Refrigerator

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Don't Keep Your iPad in the Sun... or in the Refrigerator

As summertime looms large around the corner, thousands of new iPad owners are likely gearing up for many a day at the beach or at an outdoor cafe enjoying a cold drink and whatever cool content is being pumped out from their tablet. But as we've already learned from those who have taken their iPad outside, the device could very well malfunction if exposed to too much sunlight.

Overheating has joined the list of initial problems punctuating the iPad's first full week of release. From word yesterday of the iPad having difficultly obtaining a Wi-Fi connection to the internet, to the latest news of iPads boiling in the sun, the iPad's earliest days of life have certainly not been without a glitch. Nonetheless, as with any laptop or portable mobile device, the possibility of an overheated meltdown is always present. And the iPad is simply not above the unpleasant reality that holds true for many similar devices.

Of course, should you experience a shut down or screen prompt that your tablet is overheating, no one is suggesting that you follow the humorous example of PC Magazine editor Zach Honig. Honig stuck his device in the fridge when his iPad revealed its forthcoming heat-stroke. So if you see the warning screen that reads: "iPad needs to cool down before you can use it," don't jam your device between the cold cuts and Sunny D, okay?

If you're curious or haven't already discovered this interesting little fact, the iPad's operating temperature is 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C) while its non-operating temperature is -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C). It should be noted, however, that several folks were simply using their iPads in relatively cool environments when "overheating" issues occurred. Honig, for example, was in 70 weather when his iPad began to overheat - a situation that leads some to speculate that there could be internal temperature problems for the iPad as well.

Image via Zach Honig/CNET

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (04-07-2010), reaves205 (04-07-2010)

Thanks

Wow, this thing just keeps getting better and better!
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-07-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Refrigerator? I would use a freezer. Under the peas. Cold air would fall on to iPad and warm air will go up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, if I end up wanting an iPad (which I don't right now, my iPod is good enough for me) I'm going to wait for 2nd Gen. It's showing more problems than most people would like soon after it's release.

Also, you should expect overheating. It's a 1GHz processor with no ventilation, that can only mean trouble.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

this is a STUPID article. Every single iPhone and iTouch exhibits this EXACT same behavior. why are you calling out the iPad???

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s4mb4 For This Useful Post:

iggychins (04-07-2010), ltjbigshot (04-07-2010)

adp
    Thanks

^ The ipad will overheat a lot quicker. It's got more power and no ventilation. I live in S FL and in the summer it's always over 95. This could be a huge glitch on apple's side

9. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

KoNeko (04-08-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say that the iPad definitely needs some sort of ventilation because the iPhones did the same thing and the iPad is basically the same kind of design but much bigger and bigger parts mean more heat, as demize95 says, that can only mean trouble.

s4bm4, they are calling out the iPad because Apple obviously have not learned from their last mistakes with the overheating of the iPhones and for Apple or any company for that matter, critisism is a good thing because if nobody complained then they would not know of many of the problems with their devices and be able to rectify them in the future. they will hopefully be taking notes of these complaints preparing for the next gen.

Thanks

Ignore the minium operating temp, ive cooled my iTouch down to -10c before use and it still works perfectly (battery and wifi were better).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I have never had an iDevice do this and I doubt it will be any different with the iPad.

Thanks

Hey! I live in South Florida! How you liking the weather?

Ehh some punkass Freshmen brought his iPad to school yeterday I wanted to break over his head... Everyones talking about this stupid thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demize95 View Post
    Yeah, if I end up wanting an iPad (which I don't right now, my iPod is good enough for me) I'm going to wait for 2nd Gen. It's showing more problems than most people would like soon after it's release.

Also, you should expect overheating. It's a 1GHz processor with no ventilation, that can only mean trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    I would say that the iPad definitely needs some sort of ventilation because the iPhones did the same thing and the iPad is basically the same kind of design but much bigger and bigger parts mean more heat, as demize95 says, that can only mean trouble.

s4bm4, they are calling out the iPad because Apple obviously have not learned from their last mistakes with the overheating of the iPhones and for Apple or any company for that matter, critisism is a good thing because if nobody complained then they would not know of many of the problems with their devices and be able to rectify them in the future. they will hopefully be taking notes of these complaints preparing for the next gen.

I totally agree with you both, however, sticking a fan in there would inevitably incease the thickness of the iPad or maybe they'll just punch some holes for vents near the suspect points of heat accumulation ...

I'm now seriously considering holding on even when this launches in the UK...If these spate of isues continues, Apple would probably be forced into releasing an updated and modified version sooner rather than later...

Though none of my idevices have had these issues either...not that I'll ever want them to though I'd be very cross if that happened
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 04-07-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Because it's awesome Zeal

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

W/e what did you expect a perfect ipad? like no matter what happens people will always complain no matter how good the product is.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 04-07-2010 at 09:24 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've experienced the same issue with my iphone outdoors. I had the black phone and would put it glass face down the black back exposed to the sun. Even on an 80 degree day the black color will absorb the heat and the temp of the cover can soar to over 120 degrees then I get a yellow triangle on the screen. I upgraded to a white iphone, issue resolved. If you don't follow me on this, go outside on an 80 degree sunny day and feel the hood of a white car and a black car in the sun. Need I say more.

Thanks

@ hitman10: Apple prides itself in making sensible useable and user-friendly products and over time, devotees and haters alike have come to expect nothing short of perfect...so if something does go wrong, people will and should complain in order for Apple to do things better next time (that's what complaining about faults aims to achieve)...also, that's what forums like this are for, and also for matured like minds to have a conversation in a civilised manner...not for little minds
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 04-07-2010 at 06:11 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've been sitting in the sun with my ipad several times a day since Saturday. Temps here in NC have been high 80's and we even went over 90 one day. Not a single overheat issue. My iPad was tucked inside it's apple case and performed with no problems.

Only issue I ever had with my iphone overheating was when i left it by the pool for an extended time period. Never has it overheated while being outside and using it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

stay out of the sun problem solve hahahahah.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It still is a oversized iPhone with fullscreen apps.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 04-07-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs down This is getting really annoying...
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinbui View Post
    It still is a oversized iPhone with fullscreen apps.

Wow...I'm sick of this crap. We're on an apple forum, and people like calvinbui still come in here and talk this crap. I'm not going to argue what you said, even though you are more than wrong. The fact is that this forum is for people to discuss Apple products and all I keep seeing is people trashing other people just for liking a product. So what, other people like something you don't...do you trash other people that buy other phones that you don't have? Or that buy other every-day products you don't have? I can see it now..."Psh, you bought the 120GB PS3? That's just an oversized 60GB PS3." Or maybe "Oh, you bought a 60" Plasma? That's such crap, it's just an oversized 19" TV." By the way, this isn't just devoted to calvinbui, but anyone else posting this crap on the forums. If you don't like a product and don't want it, that's fine, but don't trash talk the people that do. Geez, just leave it alone already.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 04-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    We won't have this problem in the uk, our weathers ****

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast