Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A4 Teardown: "Nothing Revolutionary Here"

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow only 256MB of ram and it's supposed to multitask soon with the games and iPad specific apps...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Wife wanted an Ipad, went and looked Saturday...well, the online movies she watches online do not work...nah, I don't think it's flash, as she can watch them on the iphone with imobilecinema.

There went her only reason for the ipad...(she's only a user)...looking at the HP Slate as an alternative...looks pretty cool, front/rear cams, usb, flash, etc.
    This is one Apple product I will have to pass on...

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Wow only 256MB of ram and it's supposed to multitask soon with the games and iPad specific apps...
    is see you have a 3gs....well how does that multitask? mine has always handled my needs and then some with no lag at all......so i'd say that since it manages so well with less ram than competitors, its safe to say that iphoneOS is WAY more efficient than any of the other mobile OSs out there.....for instance...i've got the nexus one also...twice the ram as the 3gs, but since i'm running the desire rom on it, i've got the same available ram on both devices......just means that android and specifically sense is pretty memory intensive compared to iphoneOS......add the fact that iphone apps are a ***** load more robust than anything i've downloaded from android market, and it becomes pretty clear that apple is still years ahead of google in terms of how well their mobile OS's operate.

Quote Originally Posted by rel1215 View Post
    the teardown also revealed that the iPad only has 256 MB of RAM. That was the most shocking thing to me. Same RAM as the 3gs.
    I know right? i love the ipad and all but 256 made me sad .... the ifixit people first said it had 256mb per die meaning 512mb total and that made me happy but then they said they were wrong and there was actually a total of 256mb ram...... it just runs so fast

Buttttttttttttttt

The RAM Dosent matter on this device and it is awesome with its 1 ghz processer.....

i think
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 04-06-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Only 256?!? What! I'm guessing the new iPhone will be a complete let down then. I seriously thought this peice would atleast have 512mb. Running fast or not, 256mb is garbage.

i love two things in life: statistics and dale1v's signature photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -qsibaobp.jpg  
    killall Terminal[]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

dale1v (04-07-2010)

Thanks

bummmer...neva gone buy this one,i still want a new 3gs .

Well next year in june/july the second gen ipad will be out and then ill buy. For now im just waiting for jb for 3gs

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I still don't understand the reasoning of wanting 512MB of RAM on the iPad when it clearly has more than enough to multitask with 256. 3.1.2 on a 3GS and 3.2 on an iPad yield the same amount of available free memory to use for multitasking. The 3GS never runs low on memory. In addition to the phone and mail apps that run all the time I have iRealsms, iPod or Pandora, and IM+. I don't think there would ever be a need to run more than 2 or 3 additional apps at the same time. You could give the thing 16GB of RAM and it still wouldn't make it any faster or more usable.

Russian, 3gs is jb. WTF are you talking about?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monadzback View Post
    Russian, 3gs is jb. WTF are you talking about?
    An iPhone 3GS (or IPT 3G) with the new bootrom on 3.1.3 is not able to be jailbroken. All other firmwares with the new bootrom have a tethered jailbreak which people are waiting for an untethered solution as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilsongeorge View Post
    cool, but will it blend?
    yes
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko]YouTube - Will It Blend? - iPad[/ame]
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

This explains why the iPad feels so sluggish.

Scrolling while zoomed in on Safari, the response is about 2 seconds behind my finger gesture.
    Keyboard cannt keep up with my typing sometimes.
    Scrolling down large HTML or PDF files requires long screen refresh times.
    Demanding apps such as Molecule is more sluggish then a 8 year old laptop.

Apple A4 seems to be nothing more then hype.
    10 hours isn't that long considering how lacking in power the iPad is.
    With only 256MB and a single core Arm processor, this device seems more sluggish then my old laptop from many many years ago.

I should have gotten a ION net book. Half the price and much more powerful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12