+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rejecting "Dashboard" Apps?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
A day before the iPad goes on sale, Apple has decided to reject a handy app that replicates Mac OS X Dashboard functionality, and is leaving another similar app in
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Rejecting "Dashboard" Apps?

A day before the iPad goes on sale, Apple has decided to reject a handy app that replicates Mac OS X Dashboard functionality, and is leaving another similar app in limbo. No reason has been announced for the rejection of the apps, which would have helped users deal with the lack of multitasking on the new device, but this move leaves open the possibility that Apple believes that the apps are too similar to future iPhone OS improvements.

Aqua Eagle Desktop was an app that took advantage of the iPad's capability of having multiple windows open at the same time. The app provided easy access to a number of different simple utility widget-like windows that a user could switch between with a single tap. Desktop, which included a mini-browser, a dictionary, conversion tool, a translator, a calculator, a currency converter, mapping, a "stats" monitor, a weather widget and a quick email composer, had been available in the App Store for $4.99 after approval yesterday, but it disappeared today.

It's About Time Products designed their mini apps system using the Apple Dashboard API, and claims that their app will be compatible with "the majority of available Dashboard widgets on the Mac." Shipping with an old-school "1984-style" Calculator, a browser, Sticky Notes, Weather, and the NASA image of the day. Use of the standard API would make it possible for more widgets to be added. The mini apps title has not appeared on the App Store yet, and the developer sent me an email saying he has neither gotten acceptance nor rejection from Apple of their submission.

According to a company spokesman I got an email from, Aqua Eagle hasn't heard anything from Apple as to the reason why their app was dropped. It's possible that Apple found some issue, though the removal of Desktop after its approval suggests there's something else at play rather than a Developer Agreement violation. Could it be that Apple is working on similar functionality for iPhone 4.0, and didn't want the competition? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 04-02-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks

First, Still trying to keep open mind of a large 500 buck ipod touch with no camera who gives for an overpriced app?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

Vathgol (04-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've said all along that the iPad is a useless device and the removal of this type of app proves it. What are we suposed to to with the thing - sit and look at an expensive blank screen on a machine that does nothing worth while.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clive.weller For This Useful Post:

Vathgol (04-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll be a Jailbreak app!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    I've said all along that the iPad is a useless device and the removal of this type of app proves it. What are we suposed to to with the thing - sit and look at an expensive blank screen on a machine that does nothing worth while.
    No this type of app removal proves that apple may have in mind something like this in mind as a future plan so they dont need an app like this.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree, the iPad is just an oversized iPod touch, and unless apple starts accepting these apps, that's all it ever will be... non portable iPod

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davocarli For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (04-02-2010), Vathgol (04-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    No this type of app removal proves that apple may have in mind something like this in mind as a future plan so they dont need an app like this.....
    Exactly. There will be as dashboard mode in 4.0 I bet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, and I have been waiting for the last eighteen months for all these wonderful apps on my iPhone, But PANCAKE FRIDAY never comes!
    Last edited by clive.weller; 04-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only thing this "proves" is that Apple is still removing apps (and people's hard work) with zero explanation.

And people question whether jailbreaking is still important. What a joke.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aperry For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (04-02-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbravo
    . There will be as dashboard mode in 4.0
    I do hope so. But I doubt it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davocarli View Post
    I agree, the iPad is just an oversized iPod touch, and unless apple starts accepting these apps, that's all it ever will be... non portable iPod
    non-portable... are you really small or something?

I carry a laptop around every where I go for email/net/excel/word/pdfs...

This is the best solution for me.

Smaller then a laptop, battery lasts longer, does everything I need, if I need an app for something I can get it from the app store, if I need to show a client some numbers I can pull it out and have it open far faster then I could on a laptop.

----

back to the point, love that the settings are in, well, settings now, makes more sense!

This product is not for kiddies with ipods and no money, it's for people who have a purpose for it and know what they are spending their money on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    I do hope so. But I doubt it.
    my exact thoughts
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

NO MULTlTASK FOR YOU

Thanks

I would like to take this time to thank Apple for opening Pandora's Box! I'm acquiring a minor in economics and I would like to test out a few predictions. Apple has really outdone themselves. Companies aren’t going to let Apple gain all the market share without a fight. They were fortunate with the iPod and iPhone. Nevertheless, I don’t see this happening with the iPad. They should have taken advantage of the headstart and gave the consumers what they been patiently waiting for. I admire their board of directors for they are educated individuals who worked smart. I hope they didn’t put all there eggs in the basket with the iPad. I advise future investors to think twice about Apple...

Here’s what I despise about the iPad, the name. I would have prefered if they kept it real and called it the iPod Touch XL. Calling it the iPad deceives the average Joe and Jane that they’re getting a completely new product. I must applaud them on that. No. All I see is a bigger screen. Nothing else. All the amazing apps that will utilize the screen doesn’t surprise me. The average consumer is so caught up with their wants that they’ll see right through this. That Apple logo has them brainwash! As I stated in other formus, the only thing the iPhone/iPod/iPad has a lead with is the App Store. That’s it! Little do consumers know, developers will port their apps to other platforms to maximize revenue...

The fun has just begun. The market will be flooded with portable devices. Developers will take advantage of it. The same exact apps will be avalible across a different variety of superior devices. Apple will have competition far beyond its dreams. They’ll have to spend billions of dollars to stay on top. Advertizement, paying developers for exclusivity, and investing in new technology just keep up with the demand. The tables will finally turn. Apple was ready to screw its customers again with the upcoming iPhone this June. Right? Release minor upgrades with outdated features. No. Not this time buddy. After HTC announced EVO 4G, what did Apple do? WSJ announced the possibility of the iPhone HD with an front camera. I’ll leave the rest to your thoughts...

I have absolutely nothing against Apple. They make great products. Apple use to be the Bentley’s of technology. Now as they rapidly try to gain market share they forgot what made them honorable in the first place. Apple is a Honda Ex to me. This is just my prediction. My first economic prediction at that. I know I have a lot learn. I’m new to this. Feel free to agree or disagree. I'm nobody's fanboy. I'm an educated consumer!

Thanks

you mean like how they rejected them for the iPhone and iPod Touch?

yea...I love what they did with the iPhone lock screen over the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    I would like to take this time to thank Apple for opening Pandora's Box! I'm acquiring a minor in economics and I would like to test out a few predictions. Apple has really outdone themselves. Companies aren’t going to let Apple gain all the market share without a fight. They were fortunate with the iPod and iPhone. Nevertheless, I don’t see this happening with the iPad. They should have taken advantage of the headstart and gave the consumers what they been patiently waiting for. I admire their board of directors for they are educated individuals who worked smart. I hope they didn’t put all there eggs in the basket with the iPad. I advise future investors to think twice about Apple...

Here’s what I despise about the iPad, the name. I would have prefered if they kept it real and called it the iPod Touch XL. Calling it the iPad deceives the average Joe and Jane that they’re getting a completely new product. I must applaud them on that. No. All I see is a bigger screen. Nothing else. All the amazing apps that will utilize the screen doesn’t surprise me. The average consumer is so caught up with their wants that they’ll see right through this. That Apple logo has them brainwash! As I stated in other formus, the only thing the iPhone/iPod/iPad has a lead with is the App Store. That’s it! Little do consumers know, developers will port their apps to other platforms to maximize revenue...

The fun has just begun. The market will be flooded with portable devices. Developers will take advantage of it. The same exact apps will be avalible across a different variety of superior devices. Apple will have competition far beyond its dreams. They’ll have to spend billions of dollars to stay on top. Advertizement, paying developers for exclusivity, and investing in new technology just keep up with the demand. The tables will finally turn. Apple was ready to screw its customers again with the upcoming iPhone this June. Right? Release minor upgrades with outdated features. No. Not this time buddy. After HTC announced EVO 4G, what did Apple do? WSJ announced the possibility of the iPhone HD with an front camera. I’ll leave the rest to your thoughts...

I have absolutely nothing against Apple. They make great products. Apple use to be the Bentley’s of technology. Now as they rapidly try to gain market share they forgot what made them honorable in the first place. Apple is a Honda Ex to me. This is just my prediction. My first economic prediction at that. I know I have a lot learn. I’m new to this. Feel free to agree or disagree. I'm nobody's fanboy. I'm an educated consumer!

but that's okay. in a couple of months, you'll get it too.
    Last edited by adrian1480; 04-02-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    you mean like how they rejected them for the iPhone and iPod Touch?

yea...I love what they did with the iPhone lock screen over the last 3 years.
    Sorry if i missed that but did they have any apps like that for the iphone, that got rejected by apple? And what did they do with the lock screen hasn't it always said slide to unlock?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default what if
    This is what happened at the start isn't it?
    They wanted the original iPod touch to not be like an iPhone so they crippled it, and now basically they're both the same. So its Mac, iPhone, Ipad. The Mac has the high end Stuff, the iPhone has the portable stuff, and the iPad has the entertainment stuff. They're not trying to let the iPad be an information centre. That's pretty much what a mac and sorta what the iphone is.
    The iphone and iPad will never get dashboard because its too much Mac. Apples just paranoid it'll stop people buying macs when really it won't

Thanks

if the ipad could do everything that the macbook could for half the price, i'd happily switch over, but that's not the case.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (04-02-2010), Vathgol (04-02-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    THANK YOU THANK YOU .. AND THANK YOU....
    IF the rest of the ppl who spent useless dollars on this "THING" would answer that same question.

SO what you can read books....BOOOO!! is that it?

Oh did I say thank you for your comment?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I can watch netflix anywhere