+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Previewers Love Their iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Previewers Love Their iPads
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIic04tXkRw&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Fry Unpacks iPad[/ame]

The people who were lucky enough to receive early preview iPads have begun writing about their first impressions of the new device. And it's little surprise that they're mostly positive, and in some cases positively excited about their iPads: Apple chose mostly writers who were already Apple fans. However, some of the most prominent reviewers - such as David Pogue from the New York Times and Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal - have not shied away from criticizing Apple when they fell short in the past. The computer maker needed those high-profile pundits to come out positive for the iPad, and so they have.

Pogue calls the iPad "fast and light,' and extols its "bright and responsive" touchscreen. Saying that the new device is a "goof-proof computer for technophobes," he notes that it's not as good for creating content as it is for consuming it. He says that the iPad is "so easy to navigate, that it really does qualify as a new category of gadget." For techies, though, Pogue pointed out that you can get a lot more power for a lot less money with a laptop.

Mossberg, for his part, claims that the "wicked fast" iPad could "change portable computing profoundly." He found the interface, which he called "a pleasure to use," to be so good that it might "propel the finger-driven, multitouch user interface ahead of the mouse-driven interface that has prevailed for decades." He agreed with Pogue that the iPad is lousy at content creation, though, and had some major problems exporting documents created in Pages to Microsoft Office and PDF formats.

British actor Stephen Fry is such a fanboi that when he did the cover-story interview with Steve Jobs for TIME, he forgot to turn on his tape recorder while he asked his first question, "a nervous babble that lasts five minutes." After the interview, Fry got ten minutes alone with an iPad, and appears to have bonded with the device in a somewhat creepy way. He describes his reaction from switching it on, noting that "a little sigh escapes me as the screen lights up." Fry managed to get an iPad of his own after the interview and "it goes with me everywhere… like a gun lobbyist's rifle: the only way you will take it from me is to prise it from my cold, dead hands."

The emotional responses seem to show that the device is good enough and fun enough to use to make it worthwhile for people who either don't need to create stuff, or are fine doing it on another device. For the large segment of consumers that don't have an opinion, though, and would just be using this as a sort of plaything, it's quite possible that reviews like these from friends and other people they trust will be enough to make the iPad fly off the Apple Store shelves.

We'll see in a couple of days.

Thanks

I still see no need for this for people who already have a Iphone or a iPod i will only have one if its a gift but to each its own i say after the iphone come out this summer this will fade down a little
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

^ there is no "need" for this. It's purely a "want".

yes, it's getting rave reviews all around.

as long as people understand it's not really for "content creation" so much as for "content consumption", people will have the right expectations and will enjoy it more. those who need computing devices principally for creating things need not apply.

not excited about having to buy that expensive BT keyboard...but I don't see a choice. lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (04-01-2010)

Thanks

you are right it is a want and people will shell out big bucks for a impulse want only APPLE product i have is a iPhone and its gonna stay that way
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rickybobby For This Useful Post:

Vathgol (04-01-2010)

Thanks

for the people who own iphones and ipod touch's kno that the screen is small and the iPad has more screen luxury, is faster then any iphone or ipod touch...so clearly, for the people that is doesnt suite their lives and have negativity towards it, should only share it with themselves and leave the people that will actually enjoy their device alone from such negativity.....

right now there are rumors of the iPad getting netflix which i kno people would really want! and that alone on that device will kill! all...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm excited the reported battery life actually EXCEEDS Apple's 10 hours by about 20% under super heavy load testing. I totally agree with the above comments that this is for content consumption and "light" content creation. For those like me who surf, read a lot, social networking sites, and want to be highly mobile without the need for a power supply this thing is perfect. I bet my iPhone car charger will work just fine on this thing too which means I wouldn't need one anyways! 2 more days!

Thanks

yea! exceeds darnit! do you kno how many movies i have waiting for this! and if that netflix rumor turns out real, then its a wriiiiiiizzzzzzzzzaaaaaaapppppp!
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just got an email that says no Saturday delivery in my area!!!!!

Guess I will go to the local apple store and get a second one on Saturday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    I just got an email that says no Saturday delivery in my area!!!!!

Guess I will go to the local apple store and get a second one on Saturday.
    Which area?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    you are right it is a want and people will shell out big bucks for a impulse want only APPLE product i have is a iPhone and its gonna stay that way
    Then why, for the love of god, spend so much time commenting on it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iPad Unboxing x2!

original post with more vids

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Which area?
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 04-01-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have nothing negative to say except that this is a forum... for people to share their opinions. I am about as sick of hearing people try to defend the damn thing as I am of people trying to bash it. If all that TRULY matters to you is your own enjoyment then why does it matter so much when people say "this thing is not needed"? Same posters arguing virtually the same points over and over again in various threads.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I have nothing negative to say except that this is a forum... for people to share their opinions. I am about as sick of hearing people try to defend the damn thing as I am of people trying to bash it. If all that TRULY matters to you is your own enjoyment then why does it matter so much when people say "this thing is not needed"? Same posters arguing virtually the same points over and over again in various threads.
    And you are the guy we are sick of hearing from that's trying to defend "you like it, or you don't and to shutup". well then the forum becomes empty because we can no longer share our opinions.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i cant wait to get it on saturday,and for all you haters i have one advice for you people.you only have one life to live so if you work hard and your bills are paid for the month of march and you like this device go out and get it.tomorrow is not promised to you or me,or to anyone in this site. i have been on this planet for over 43 year and i have yet to see anyone take their money with them when they die,so my advice to you all is life is short and saving all your money wont do you any good. at the end you will leave it here for someone else that did not work hard for it to spend it for you.take it from me i know, recently my aunt pass and left some insurance money for her daughter. well this girl is been spending money like there's no tomorrow well that could be anyone of us here hahahahahaa, so enjoy life and stop crying about other people's money and how they spend it.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 04-01-2010 at 02:32 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what's the possibility for an app via app store or a possable jb community that will allow me to manage my iTunes on the ipad and sync my phone via my ipad

a jb community turning out apps to ssh into my iPhone from my ipad, manage my iTunes on the fly, torrent downloading, could see the ipad buying well worth the price

Green Apple
    Thanks

it just got really deep, really fast.

Thanks

i can't wait till saturday! i will read books all day!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfudvs View Post
    what's the possibility for an app via app store or a possable jb community that will allow me to manage my iTunes on the ipad and sync my phone via my ipad

a jb community turning out apps to ssh into my iPhone from my ipad, manage my iTunes on the fly, torrent downloading, could see the ipad buying well worth the price
    The possibility is zero b/c the ipad is not capable of running any version of iTunes that will sync to another device. It can only run the iPhone/iPad app version. It would also not be legal to take iTunes which is owned by Apple and re-write it in a way that would allow this.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm still haven't made up my mind on the iPad. Just like the first gen iPhone, I wanna play with it before dropping that kind of money on it. Anyone know if they'll have them on display at best buys on Saturday?

Btw @the people raving about netflix, what do you like about it? there steaming library is just horrible and it's 15 bucks a month when you have iPhone exclusive streaming sites...

Green Apple
    Thanks

really? does everyone NOT know that the netflix thing was an april fools joke??