+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Project Gutenberg e-Books to Be Available on iBookstore

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
A big concern among electronic rights activists has been that Apple's new iBookstore for e-books will be hobbled by the same Digital Rights Management (DRM) software that Apple had initially
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Project Gutenberg e-Books to Be Available on iBookstore

A big concern among electronic rights activists has been that Apple's new iBookstore for e-books will be hobbled by the same Digital Rights Management (DRM) software that Apple had initially used for iTunes music and still uses for video content. However, according to someone who has gotten a sneak preview of titles on the iBookstore, free books from Project Gutenberg - possibly all 30,000 of them - will be available for download.

Project Gutenberg is an all-volunteer effort to put non-copyrighted books and other publications in digital form. It started when a University of Illinois grad student named Michael Hart got free access to the university's mainframe, keying in the Declaration of Independence and saving it on the the Xerox SDS Sigma V's enormous three-megabyte hard drive. Since then over 30,000 books have been digitized by volunteers and saved in a number of common formats, from plain text to PDF to HTML and ePad.

When Apple announced the details of iBooks on its website, it was confirmed that the e-reader app will be able to read ePub formatted titles. The iBooks page notes that "you can add free ePub titles to iTunes and sync them to the iBooks app on your iPad," which seemed to suggest that users would be able to download Project Gutenberg files from the website. However, AppAdvice's Alexander Vaughn got what he termed a "not-so-NDA (nondisclosure agreement)-complying preview" of the iBookstore site and found that a number of Gutenberg Project titles are already there, including works by Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, and popular science fiction writer Cory Doctorow, who has made most of his work available for free.

Free e-books on the iPad are good for the iPad and iBooks - by creating an instant library of diverse titles, including some of the greatest works in English (and many other languages). It's also good for Project Gutenberg, because it'll raise awareness of the project in the public's mind, and make it much easier for people to access the books. Everybody wins.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation three?
    three whole megabytes?

(first)

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is great. I just hope that reading on the iPad display will be enjoyable. I wish this would raise the reading level in the US, but i will not hold my breath in hopes of that! I see the iPad becoming a mobile video device more than eReader

Thanks
    three megabytes?
    surely a mistake there

all i want from the bookstore is for it to be in categories. on the appstore my ipod just shows it in one big list which makes it hard to view books of one specific genre.
    Last edited by mole92db; 03-25-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I believe the "enormous" 3 megabyte comment was sarcasm; in 1971 (when Project Gutenberg was started), 3 megabytes were a lot, lol.

This is GREAT news. I've been a fan of Project Gutenberg since I've heard about it, and even tried to contribute to it (they look for volunteers who are willing to basically type up written works in text, pdf, etc. format; anyone can contribute who wants to).

Great stuff, great news.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

wonder how much memory the human brain has, if it could be translated into bytes.

bear in mind that we can remember touch, smell, site, taste, and a huge number of senses that computers can't record (yet).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

But the problem is that a lot of Project Gutenberg books are just that: historical texts that no one is really looking to read much. :P It's nice that they're available, but its not like Apple was going to charge for them anyway, since they're completely free and publicly available as is.

As for DRM, we all know that books that are purchased from the book store are going to be loaded with DRM (what did you expect)? But what I'm interested to know is what the deal will be with PDF's. I've already downloaded a lot of books over many years in PDF form, and as long as the iPad opens them just like any other book, I'll be happy. But it makes me wonder, whats going to keep the hacking that we all KNOW is going to happen from converting the DRM'd bookstore books to PDF? The case of cracking apps from the AppStore is different, as Apple devices don't normally allow the cracked apps to run. Cracked bookstore books, however, assuming they're converted to PDF, will run as ordinary PDFs. I'm curious as to what Apple has up its sleeve to prevent this from happening (as quickly as it will. :P)

I'm very, very curious to see what the future holds for books on the iPad, especially since I'm buying the iPad partly to make up for the high cost of college textbooks that I will hopefully never have to buy (at such a high price) ever again. Where there's a will..
    Last edited by NessLookAlike; 03-25-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    wonder how much memory the human brain has, if it could be translated into bytes.

bear in mind that we can remember touch, smell, site, taste, and a huge number of senses that computers can't record (yet).
    999,999,999,999,999 Terabytes
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's pretty good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvaj4859dg0]cheap ibooks[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvaj4859dg0]ipad ibooks[/ame]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    u can make ur ibook urself at links given below
    mod edit/link removed

What's Jailbreak?