+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Surveys: 100% Don't Know What iPad's For

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Surveys: 100% Don't Know What iPad's For

Steve Jobs notably introduced the iPad as an entirely new class of device: "something in the middle" between a laptop and a smartphone. It's a smart approach, because it potentially appeals to anyone who would get either an iPod or a MacBook: pretty much everybody. But the pitch has left users without a clear idea about what the device would be good for and why they would want one. A couple of new surveys released today highlight the confusion, with potential users saying different things about what they'd be most likely to use an iPad to do.

Sybase made its bones developing relational database management software in the 80s and 90s, notably licensing its database engine as the SQL Server on OS/2. After the tech bubble burst, Sybase reorganized its business to focus on what it calls the "unwired enterprise:" bringing access to corporate databases to mobile clients. As a part of this business, it periodically commissions surveys to see what direction the industry is moving in. Sybase hired Zogby to poll over two thousand people, about a quarter of whom currently use smartphones. According to the survey, 52.3% of the smartphone users said they'd most likely to use a new tablet device like the iPad to do work, while 48.2% said they'd watch movies and TV shows, and 35.4% would play games.

In a separate survey, the market research firm comScore also asked about two thousand people what they thought they'd use an iPad for. Nearly half said they'd use it for browsing the Internet and email (50% and 48% respectively), and more than a third said they would use it for listening to music (38%). As far as e-reading goes, 375 of respondents said they'd be “likely” or “very likely” to use it to read books and magazines, but about the same (28%) said they'd be “unlikely” or “very unlikely” to do that. Interestingly, current iPhone/iPod owners (grouped together in the survey as "iOwners") overwhelmingly seemed to like the idea of newspapers and magazines formatted specifically for the iPad, with a full 52% of respondents said they’d pay for newspaper and magazine digital subscriptions. Other responses included maintaining an address book/contact list (37 percent), watching videos/movies (36 percent), storing and viewing photos (35 percent) and reading newspapers and magazines (34 percent).

When a new technology comes on the market, it's always a mystery what the ultimate use will be. One of the first home computers ever made, the $7,000 Honeywell Kitchen Computer, touted its abilities to maintain a database of recipes. The killer app for the iPad may not have even have been been invented yet.

Thanks

I would use it as a photo frame something classy like that

Thanks
    actually a decent, beautifully designed photo frame would cost around 200$ so a photo frame and an ebook reader with wifi at 500$ doesnt seem like much ..

Thanks

Well I'm going to buy like thirty of them make a bracket for em and just hang them up and just let the pictures do there thing and have very classy music playing in the background. That would be pimpin

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've ordered mine already...I can't wait!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd sell it since I have no use for it. My iPhone does everything iPad does. Its more like a giant PDA iPad=iPda

Thanks

I had a dream about the iPad a few nights ago and I haven't pre-ordered one or am even convinced I'll buy one. I might be a lost cause

But in the dream I was using it to check email and surf the web
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Green Apple
    Thanks

"When a new technology comes on the market, it's always a mystery what the ultimate use will be. "

Really? I mean, I know that statement may have sounded profound when you wrote it, but it's just not true.

1) Plenty of technologies have plainly identified "ultimate uses" when they're invented.

2) Is there even any "new technology" with the iPad? It's just a big iPhone. We could debate whether or not it's more useful than an iPhone, but who can tell me what "new technology" separates it from the iPhone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Give me a reason not to but I'd rather get the Dell Mini 5. Open platform, good size, not so big that it'd need a special case to carry. Will do everything the iPad does. To me, using the App Store as the main selling point is like Microsoft saying not to buy a Mac because all the best stuff is designed for them. If enough people buy alternatives it will force Apple to do what it does best which is actually design revolutionary products instead of feeding BS. If I want BS I'll buy elsewhere.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nosliwsirhc For This Useful Post:

safinator (03-26-2010)

Thanks

I can see it being big for avid book/magazine/newspaper readers, but other than that, I do not see the appeal.

My iPhone does almost everything my laptop does (in the sense of day-to-day usage like email, weather, sports, bank, etc) and fits in my pocket. And for what it doesnt do: I have a laptop.

The iPad seems like it will be a pointless medium between the two, with an unfortunate name.
    Last edited by McMike; 03-24-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ill buy one eventually just because its the new thing to get these days. but otherwise i have an iphone an ipad will do and a macbook an ipad wont do...so no use for me here....but id use it for internet browsing

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bagek View Post
    I'd sell it since I have no use for it. My iPhone does everything iPad does. Its more like a giant PDA iPad=iPda
    YOU KNOW IT KILLS ME WHEN PEOPLE SAY THINGS LIKE THAT, OH MY IPHONE IS THIS AND THAT. YES I KNOW THE IPHONE IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPEND TO ME AND MOST OF US HERE,BUT THE PHONE IS TOO SMALL TO ENJOY ANYTHING ON IT.I WISH APPLE WOULD PUT A PHONE FUNCTION IN THE IPAd and stop making that garbage iphone lol,and you all know that will be the next thing that steve does,so get use to using a bluetooth or keep cring about it. and you can cry all you want no one cares steve dont care lol, he will put out anything he wants and you would still buy it. and yes i pre order 3 ipads two wifi and one 3g for me.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 03-24-2010 at 01:34 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandonii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    BUT THE PHONE IS TOO SMALL TO ENJOY ANYTHING ON IT.
    /sarcastic/Yes, I HATE my iPhone. I enjoy NOTHING on it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonii View Post
    /sarcastic/Yes, I HATE my iPhone. I enjoy NOTHING on it.
    hahahahahahahaha...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I can't really see a purpose to it either...Where the interesting stuff will come is from the jailbreaking community. What we have at the moment is an over sized Ipod touch, however, I'm sure clever ideas will slowly start to come out as the months go by. But I have no intentions of ever purchasing one of these unless I find a really good reason to do so.

Thanks

YOU KNOW IT KILLS ME WHEN PEOPLE SAY THINGS LIKE THAT, OH MY IPHONE IS THIS AND THAT. YES I KNOW THE IPHONE IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPEND TO ME AND MOST OF US HERE,BUT THE PHONE IS TOO SMALL TO ENJOY ANYTHING ON IT.I WISH APPLE WOULD PUT A PHONE FUNCTION IN THE IPAd and stop making that garbage iphone lol,and you all know that will be the next thing that steve does,so get use to using a bluetooth or keep cring about it. and you can cry all you want no one cares steve dont care lol, he will put out anything he wants and you would still buy it. and yes i pre order 3 ipads two wifi and one 3g for me.
    OH YEAH LOOK AT ME I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS THAT MAKES ME LOOK BADASS oh wait my caps lock broke oh darn...

Thanks

It's worth the money just to play Bejeweled Blitz double-sized. 'Nuff said.

;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I thought Steve made it pretty clear that the iPad will be "the best way to experience the web, email, photos, and video". Whether this is true remains to be seen, but those were the words used.

Having viewed the keynote, I guess I'm one of the users with a clear idea about what the device would be good for and why I may want one. So if you're your looking for a reason to buy, I would start there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You're implying that anyone in their right mind would lug around a 10 inch wide device to make phone calls, the 1980s are calling. And I have no issue enjoying media on my iPhone, for watching movies/checking news/googling on the go you can't beat the convenience. If you need a bigger screen go for a laptop, because the screen keeps itself propped up, as opposed to the iPad which you'll need to hold out in front of you (this'll be real fun for watching videos more than 5 minutes long) unless you wanna fork over $35 for a stand that will only work when you're sitting down at a desk, completely defeating the purpose of the iPad. The market for this device is so unbelievably niche that it's mind-blowing that Apple would release it.

iPhone + net/notebook > iPad

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Well I'm going to buy like thirty of them make a bracket for em and just hang them up and just let the pictures do there thing and have very classy music playing in the background. That would be pimpin
    THAT is an AWESOME idea!! Too bad I couldn't afford it, but that would be a badass photo wall. The more I look at one the more it becomes appealing to me, I just can't justify the price for it. Maybe after a month they'll drop the price like the original iPhone. I want one, just not at it's current price and feature set. Gaming would be fun, and casual browsing on it would be nice, but I need my jailbreak and as much space as my 3GS to make it worth it. I'm going to get one I think, if/when the price drops.