Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T May Not Sell The iPad

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default AT&T May Not Sell The iPad

Those who pre-ordered their iPad for the big April 3rd roll-out will likely receive a notification of their order status before the end of this week. And while hundreds of thousands of customers will either receive their tablet at home or pick it up at the nearest Apple store, it appears there's one location that won't be part of the iPad frenzy - your local AT&T store.

Overall, it hasn't been a positive week for AT&T so far. First, as covered by MMI, it was reported that Apple will now make the iPhone available for purchase without a corresponding AT&T contract. Additionally, based on another "email from Steve Jobs," the iPad will be available for purchase exclusively at Apple retail and online stores and Best Buy. At this time, AT&T simply isn't part of the picture.

The latest note from Steve Jobs (assuming, of course, that the messages are legit) tops off a flurry of terse email comments from the Apple chief in recent days. Jobs reportedly responded to an inquiry as to whether it's possible to get documents on the iPad via iWork.com with a simple "yes." Last night, the blogosphere lit up with reports of an email from Jobs telling one Apple customer "not to worry" in response to concerns about the enormous lag time between MacBook Pro updates.

Although these scantly-worded emails from Jobs hardly suggest a talkative-turn for the mostly reclusive tech titan, it is clear that there is no shortage of hustle and bustle around Cupertino right now as the company prepares for the rush of a major product release and significant updates to other established and equally popular products. Overall, its a whole lot of activity that seems to have very little to do with AT&T.

Image via USA Today

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-23-2010)

Thanks

Is this more psuedo news?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Effenpig! For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (03-23-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T will have people coming into their stores though to get the 3G service

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think ATT would want to deal with these sales anyway. You are not required to activate 3G data even if you buy the ipad with 3G capabilities. They really have very little incentive to want to sell these units...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is true. If they avoid selling them then they avoid having people coming in for warranty work etc.

Don't they kind of lose the opportunity to sell the 3G service to customer since ATT has to activate it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The 3G service can be activated at Best Buy, right? I think this saves AT&T a headache. Not having to deal with customers demanding on-site repair is a major plus.

Shock...
    The iPad isn't a phone. ATT doesn't sell Macbooks do they? Why is this news?
    Really?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

staterunner180 (03-24-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    3g is activated right on the iPad itself. i remember reading it when the keynote came out

Thanks

is it even coming to canada? lolololol
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    unsure if its not genuine? but most of the article is rehashed from the previous thread.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Absolutely. It's just as bad as the frequent "3 year old patent finds something insignificant...IT'S PROBABLY COMING TO THE NEWEST IPHONE!!" posts.

Yo , if there is so many haters hating on the news lately , why bother reading news then? Sheesh , for the people with negativity towards news , do this, come up with newsworthy news urself then get back at us...till then serious , jerks.....

Thanks

We read the news because we a lured in by misleading and/or innacurate headlines/titles, that's why.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Yo , if there is so many haters hating on the news lately , why bother reading news then? Sheesh , for the people with negativity towards news , do this, come up with newsworthy news urself then get back at us...till then serious , jerks.....
    I hate when people make the "can you do better?" argument. I don't have to know how to do something better to know that it is still s#%$.

Complaining is a way to get improvements things. We complain here and tell Apple what we want.... and eventually they may get around to addressing those changes. Why should it be any different with the "news" we read?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

1. 3G iPad not available until end of April. Why would AT&T sell the wifi only version?
    2. Other than speculation where does it say that AT&T won't be selling the 3G version at their stores when it debuts end of April? Odds are good they will just so they can show users how easy it is to turn on and off the 3G service (no contract either) with a few touches of your finger.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

maybe they will start selling the 3G version in april.

hopefully whenever these ipads come out, you'll think of me when you see my signature all over the place.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I hate when people make the "can you do better?" argument. I don't have to know how to do something better to know that it is still s#%$.

Complaining is a way to get improvements things. We complain here and tell Apple what we want.... and eventually they may get around to addressing those changes. Why should it be any different with the "news" we read?
    Do you hate it cause you know they're right? You can't seriously think people will want to change how they write or what they write about when you're bashing them do you? There's a difference between voicing your opinion nicely or as a suggestion then openly criticizing them, the least you could do is send a PM, you don't have to bash them in a thread. Not to mention you don't even have to come on here and read it, no one's forcing you. Lame...

Anyway, think it'll be best for AT&T not to have to deal with the iPad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a close relative that works for AT&T without saying too much about him, he always finds out what new devices are coming out a couple months before they hit the stores. He told me the iPad was never coming to AT&T stores it was just a rumor started by other people outside of both companies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast