Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPodMeister Starts Junk for iPad Exchange

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default iPodMeister Starts Junk for iPad Exchange

Those of us who have considered renting a small apartment just to house the physical CDs we've accumulated in the last two decades may discover a deal worth looking into from iPodMeister.

The company famous for trade-ins (your old CDs in exchange for a new iPod, iPhone) is now getting into the business of iPad even-exchanges. And all it requires is a boatload of your digital media. Reputable and secure, iPodMeister has reduced the digital clutter of many in return for a pretty sweet payload. And with the iPad tossed into the mix, its a safe bet that thousands of CDs collecting dust will soon see the light of day yet again.

Here's how it works (although the criteria is subject to change). 220 CDs will get you an 8GB iPod nano. A 16GB iPad can be yours for 600 CDs. The 64GB model can also be yours... in return for "only" 1,150 CDs. If you're wondering how many CDs will get you a 64GB iPad with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, that would be about 1,400 discs.

If you have all the CDs but not their jewel cases, don't even bother sending in your junk. According to iPodMeister, only CDs in their jewel cases with authentic, original cover art will be accepted because the overseas market is ripe and eager to pay handsomely for the music that dominated the US charts in decades past.

According to the New York Times, the deal is also invalidated if you send in any promo CDs or albums that aren't the "original." Additionally, as you can imagine, iPodMeister is the ultimate judge, jury, and executioner in deciding what is and isn't "acceptable." If your CD isn't deemed acceptable, not only will it not count toward your bundled give-away, it will also never make it back to you.

At least the shipping of your collection to iPodMeister is free. Otherwise, for what you would spend on postage for 1400 CDs might not make the "free" iPad so "free" after all.

Let's see hear $8.99-$17.99 a cd multiply that by 600 or even 1600 is alot to just trade that in to get a iPad so that they can bolster there collection then resell overseas for a hefty sum hell no i say this is crazy
    Last edited by rickybobby; 03-22-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Too bad I collect cassettes.

What's Jailbreak? twilight_gaijin's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Yes..this is a even exchange...NOT!!!
    I don't know about all you but I purchased my CD's at $15-$18 per CD.And to me $15/CD times 600= $9,000. OK, I know that CD don't mean the same as before, but I see a huge disadvantage at giving my CD's to a company to make a profit off what had taken me years to collect on the off chance of getting a product that would only cost me $500-$1,000 to purchase myself.

Thanks

Too bad I stopped purchasing CD's ever since I remember having the internet (remember the good ole' days of Napster and Kazaa?)
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak? twilight_gaijin's Avatar
    Thanks

True I remember Napster...used it back when I still had Dial-up..but I still like going into a record store(which is a dieing business)to get the new CD of my favorite artist..

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    Let's see hear $8.99-$17.99 a cd multiply that by 600 or even 1600 is alot to just trade that in to get a iPad so that they can bolster there collection then resell overseas for a hefty sum hell no i say this is crazy

Yeah but most people have already imported their cds into their itunes library so it wouldnt really make a difference. id be glad to give up all my CDs for an iPad, if i hadnt already preordered one.

doesnt seem like much of a fair exchange. i have more records than CD's anyways.
    killall Terminal[]

i have only 5 cd's what would i get for that lol. i think this people are crazy they want the cd's to be in perfect condition whit original case and labels, lol who would have 1500 cd's like that

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see why you guys are stating here that you paid $15 per album and therefor this is not a fair trade. Can you find someone to buy that album from you for $15? Probably not. In fact, years back in high school (7+ now) the theatre team needed compact discs for props and asked for people to donate. We got tons and TONS of old albums that nobody wanted, for FREE. There was nothing physically wrong with them, it's just people could care less about them anymore. I agree the number of discs required is a little obscene, but let's be realistic. Nobody you know is going to pay you anywhere near what you paid for your CDs. I have probably 200 discs that I would be more than happy to get rid of. I don't remember the last time I actually played a cd. I would have forgotten how they feel if they didn't feel exactly like DVDs and blurays.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 03-22-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I could see myself grabbing a bunch of free cds from friends and family just to get a free ipad.

I just see this as a scam to get hard to find music mark up the price for resell over seas it just dont make sense to give these guys thousands of dollars worth of music for a ifail(ipad) sorry lmao dont seen worth it to me maybe a mac now that would be nice
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

oh boy! If only there were still a tower records around for me to go to and buy 1400 CDs

don't be a fool, wrap your tool

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It might not be a fair exchange as far as how much the CD's are worth but for some people who just have a bunch sitting around collecting dust it's a nice little trade. If I had a ton CD's that I wasn't ever going to use anymore and someone offered me an iPad for them, I'd do it in a second. But I can see how for some people their collection means more especially at the exchange price he's offering, extremely low.

What's Jailbreak? socalrailroader's Avatar
    Redwood Valley, Northwest Calif/but SoCal Born&Raised
    Thanks

Default Three decades of CD's here.
    Try the last three decades, I got my first CD player in High School around 1988.

I actually don't think 600 USED cds for a $500 NEW device is that bad. I've had trouble getting a dollar for used cds at garage sales, hence the cardboard box full of rejects in my garage. If you buy a car for $25,000it looses 20% of it's value when you drive it off the lot. It's rough to think that you're getting less than a $1 but who's buying these things nowadays? I dont think I have enough for the iPad but Im totally going to get one of those iTouch things.

Thanks

I'm going to try this to see if it really works. Once I get enough CDs and send them out I'll post back.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I'm going to try this to see if it really works. Once I get enough CDs and send them out I'll post back.
    nice what are you aiming for?

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

lets do a little economics lesson.....almost every cd that they would deem "acceptable" by those standards would cost about $10-$20 each...but lets be totally unrealistic and say you got every single one for $3....now this is big math but try multiplying 3*1400......once you put your calculator away you should get 4,200....so for $4,200 these guys will give you a $829 iPad (which I could argue the useless-ness of)....now lets look at it this way....sell all those cds you bought for $10-20 on eBay to the guys "overseas" that are so interested in buying the "classics" and after a little trouble you will have come out $3,371 richer...your choice but sounds to me like these guys are geniuses if they can get one person to do this because they definitely won't be selling those cds for $3 each

EDIT: just read a post that said some people couldn't get a dollar for some of their cds (probably wouldn't be accepted by the program if you can't get a dollar for them) but if you got 75 cents for each cd you would still come out $221 richer....
    Last edited by wannabprogramma; 03-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast