+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Wave of iPad Apps All About Gaming

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Although most of us saw this reality coming from a mile away, now we have data to back up the worst kept secret of the app development world since the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default First Wave of iPad Apps All About Gaming

Although most of us saw this reality coming from a mile away, now we have data to back up the worst kept secret of the app development world since the tablet was announced January 27th. According to research from mobile analytics company Flurry, the first wave of iPad applications will be heavily entrenched in gaming. Of all the apps being polished by developers for introduction into the forthcoming iPad App Store, gaming is the dominant category, one that consumes 44% of all applications being prepared.

Entertainment, which should largely be expected to include video content, places second - accounting for 14% of the iPad apps believed to be in development. Sports, travel, utilities, and lifestyle apps round out the remainder of the pie. While there's no way of telling if this scenario will prove 100% accurate at the time of the iPad App Store grand opening, the data is an excellent primer on the major types of content we can expect right out of the gate.

Just days ago Apple began inviting developers to submit their iPad apps before March 27th so that they can be reviewed and possibly included in the App Store before the iPad reaches consumers on April 3rd, its scheduled release date. Developers are required to build their apps using beta 5 of the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK.

Although Flurry Analytics would not divulge the total number of iPad apps they're tracking, industry analysts have proven incapable of reaching a consensus on the total apps that will be ready for debut by April 3rd. While some say only a scant few hundred apps will be ready, others have predicted upwards of 10,000 iPad-optimized apps upon the grand opening of the iPad App Store. For now, the specifics aren't known. But it appears that a wealth of content is being readied, the bulk of which will all but certainly appeal to the avid gamers eager to enjoy the tablet's revolutionary gaming platform.

Image via Flurry

Thanks

Sorry, but I'm getting pretty sick of the whole touch-screen-analog-stick deal. Once we get an iDevice with real gaming controls, or at least an accessory that can provide them, I'll really be interested in gaming on my phone other than racing.

Thanks

my app will be in that bunch!
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

you know i like this device not alot but i still see no reason fo it wow people are buying this even when u have a touch or iphone its crazy but everyone has a preference
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

well, i love my iPhone and my macbook pro, but if i want to surf online, my iPhone is great but small, amd to turn on my MBP and do all of that, i get the ol' iPad out and bam...great screen luxury , nice browser , lighter then my macbook pro
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    well, i love my iPhone and my macbook pro, but if i want to surf online, my iPhone is great but small, amd to turn on my MBP and do all of that, i get the ol' iPad out and bam...great screen luxury , nice browser , lighter then my macbook pro
    dude i love that comic. saw it in the newspaper, a while back. too small for an avatar though.

Last edited by lolcats1; 03-21-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

"Blue Brike of FAIL"

i think you mean "brick"[=fail]
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

oh great more games

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    I'm in the same situation, it'll be easier to have the iPad out to do things like that. I'm also going to use it for school, so instead of lugging my MBP and books around I can just have my iPad, light, sleek, big screen, etc.

That comic really is funny!