+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Struggling to Get Content for iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
With just a couple of weeks to go before the iPad launch, Apple is having a hard time getting big content providers, like TV networks and publishers, to cut deals
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Struggling to Get Content for iPad

With just a couple of weeks to go before the iPad launch, Apple is having a hard time getting big content providers, like TV networks and publishers, to cut deals on providing content for Apple's new device. The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is scaling back its plans in the face of resistance from the content providers, and observers are wondering if the lack of attractive content may cause iPad sales to stall after enthusiasts - who have helped push iPad pre-orders near the half-million mark - are done buying.

Apple has made much of the iPad's multimedia capabilities since the product announcement back in January. Calling it a "magical and revolutionary new device," Steve Jobs sat on a couch the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco and showed off how useful the device was for not only web browsing, but also watching TV and movies, and reading newspapers and magazines. However, the licensing deals for the TV and newspaper content have not materialized, as companies are nervous about the iPad cannabilizing their traditional revenue sources.

According to what the Journal report refers to as "people familiar with the matter," Apple is being forced to give up its plans to provide an "all-you-can-eat" subscription plan that would have allowed users to watch unlimited TV programming on their iPads for a flat monthly fee. The major networks are having second thoughts about the idea, worrying that it might cut into their revenues, including the billions they get from their deals with cable TV carriers and satellite networks. Reportedly, Apple is pushing hard to sell them on the idea of lowering the price per TV episode to $0.99 US from $1.99 or $2.99, arguing that increasing iTunes sales would be a new source of income.

Similarly, publishers of newspapers are also resisting Apple's overtures, and the same report says that these deals are being put "on the back burner" for now. One of the main sticking points appears to be Apple's lack of support for Flash content on the new device, which many companies use to serve ads and other content. the publishers are reluctant to rework their sites to work around Apple's disdain for Flash, meaning that the notorious "blue Lego" will continue to haunt the iPad browsing experience.

One bright spot for Apple is the apparent excitement among book publishers for the new device. Deals are reportedly already set with major and independent publishers including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group and Simon & Schuster, and the new iBookstore should have a broad assortment of titles available when it launches. Users will also have the option of loading content that is encoded with the open ePub standard, and both Amazon and Barnes & Noble have announced that they are developing iPad apps for their e-book offerings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

they shoulda planned better

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks

A bit unnerving for potential customers; hearing this two weeks before launch...
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks
    Talking F U C K Apple
    It serves them right for being so greedy and controlling of their devices and content.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    -Einstein

adp
    Thanks

lol @ the picture...seems like Jobs shares McCain's cheek tumor

Yes...the infamous blue brick...
    Last edited by adp; 03-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Newspapers especially have been hit hard from folks not buying paper printed material so this seems like a logical way to get customers back. They already have online subscriptions so how does it not make sense to offer one for the iPad?

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess as soon as it comes out... developers will run towards the ipad not the other way round... same as what happened to the iphone... Im in no concern that they wont get enough stuff for the ipad! I mean is there anything else like it on the market except the ipod touch and the iphone??
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Watching TV on 47" screen or a 10" one, boy that sure is a hard decision

I doubt anyone would give up their cable/satelitte subcription in favor of buying TV shows on iTunes but if the iPad is designed for "couch-surfing" then wouldn't the owner already be on the couch, with the TV in front of them? Maybe if you're on a flight somewhere this could be useful, but sitting in the park/on the subway with this extremely attention-grabbing device isn't exactly the best way to protect your investment.

Thanks

Epic picture! Serves apple right.

Twitter: @tshoults

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Things are still good on the eReader front - so I'm still a happy clam ^_^
    #eli7e revived me

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Not worried. I'm sure it'll take off... just give it a little more time.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Not worried. I'm sure it'll take off... just give it a little more time.
    just like the lama burgers

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can see Apple leaking code to jailbreak devs, just to get this thing popular, if this news is true.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdmundGerber For This Useful Post:

A666R (03-20-2010), miistahmagic (03-19-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! SERVES THEM RIGHT.

Thanks

This post reminds me of a TV Commercial that Kyle Matthews (founder of MMi) was in a few years ago. What a sexy beast: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb9zNU-pk_I]YouTube - RNR Custom Wheels | Wheels Or No Wheels[/ame]

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savon For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (03-24-2010), Melech518 (03-19-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If they just supported flash, I am sure people would be happy with Hulu.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Misleading Title
    Apple may be rushing to try and secure an "all-you-can-eat" subscription-based service, but in no way will content be limited on the iPad as this article implies. You'll still be able to download music, tv shows, movies, etc...Apple wanted a monthly service fee to allow it's iPad users to select any network, show or movie to download, but the networks are pushing back. Therefore, Apple is trying to negotiate a $.99 per episode for TV downloads. This is all to benefit it's customers. However, if they don't get this done by launch, it's by no means a failure as some would imply. There's no other deals remotely similar to what Apple was trying to negotiate, so it's a moot point. Idiot bloggers!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stickyd For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (03-19-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Secrets dont make friends. And neither does a closed minded environment. HP slate here i come and maybe a little ASUS all in one keyboard.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    If they just supported flash, I am sure people would be happy with Hulu.
    I for one am not at all sold on the need for Flash, and I am the furthest thing from an Apple fanboy (though I am a Flash developer). Flash IS CPU-intensive, and few sites use it properly. Also, today I watched a video on my iPhone from the new Flashless NY Times site, which was thrilling. Already, developers are preparing for HTML 5, which WILL make for a MUCH better browsing experience. Sit tight and prepare to be amazed.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

please tell me you made that photo

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews