+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Playing Beat The Clock Ahead of iPad Launch

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to a story in this morning's Wall Street Journal , Apple is playing beat the clock before the release of the iPad, which is now just days away (16
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Playing Beat The Clock Ahead of iPad Launch

According to a story in this morning's Wall Street Journal, Apple is playing beat the clock before the release of the iPad, which is now just days away (16 to be exact). In recent weeks we've covered the many media outlets - from the New York Times to the WSJ - that have ramped up efforts to introduce dedicated apps and iPad-customized material. So far the efforts have even included the removal of Flash content from parts of major websites in order to accommodate the iPad.

But, as you may have noticed, while the interest among developers and major news outlets and publishers is substantial and will likely yield significant digital content offerings in the very near future, the iPad is now set for release without an immediate plethora of content. And it seems Apple is suddenly a bit concerned with what some are calling a "content shortfall."

The last-minute discussions show the complexities that Apple and Chief Executive Steve Jobs are facing in creating a networked multimedia device, which has pushed the company to pare back some of its initial intentions for the iPad's release.
    The WSJ article suggests that one of the biggest sticking points for Apple and its potential networking partners is the ongoing negotiation with would-be partners to reduce the price of multimedia media content (like television programs) that can be downloaded and viewed on the iPad.

Preliminary sales indicate a massive first wave of buying for the tablet. But with many more potential iPad buyers taking a wait and see approach to the tablet's arrival and the first round of customer reviews, Apple is presumably getting apprehensive about what some could perceive as a "lack of things to do" with the iPad until developers and other content providers sink their teeth into the tablet's revolutionary platform.

Image via Techabob
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

which is now just days away
    WHAT!?

I think you mean weeks.

Thanks

Weeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkkk!!!!

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

With the App Store being the way it is, I don't see how the iPad can be "lacking" content. Granted, it's content that the iPhone can use, but it's content nonetheless.

It would seem that even Apple hyped themselves up in regards to the iPad launch, at least as far as what they THOUGHT they could accomplish within the window they had.

It's still a launch most companies would only hope for - a software library in the thousands. I mean, the iPhone itself was BORING at launch.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Do iPhone apps work on ipad? I thought there was a graphic size discrepancy that made them unusable?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampr View Post
    Do iPhone apps work on ipad? I thought there was a graphic size discrepancy that made them unusable?
    Yes. Apple has said the you can run almost every app that's in the App Store right now on the iPad. If you think about it it's already a head start in a way. I'm sure there's things that they might need to update or make compatible to get the full power from the iPad, still though...awesome

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

slingplayer on the iPad will be awesome

Green Apple
    Thanks

Whoa man ipad is so cool but I'm gonna wait for it and see what happens I belive that apple Is up to something I think apple is evil and it's like the movies they are controling our minds everyone is buying apple. If it wernt for the AppStore and people making apps for the iPhone would suck. But still apple is evil. EVIL!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

They probably got like like a secret app in there (icontroler ) and making us buy there pruducts
    Last edited by waheedtarin; 03-18-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

the tablet's revolutionary platform.

Image via Techabob

haha revolutionary?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, iPhone apps can run on the iPad......in "double-pixel mode"! No, that is not a joke, your iPhone apps that are perfectly designed for the iPhone's 480X320 resolution will now be dumbly scaled up to 1024X768, blockiness and all. I can't wait.

So it has plenty of (clunky-looking) content.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It will be in much better shape than when the first iPhone launched. I am still not buying the 10 hours of video. Never gonna happen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone ever notice that, by far, those who continually post negative thoughts about the iPad also show in their profile they are Windows users, not Mac... just sayin...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Anyone ever notice that, by far, those who continually post negative thoughts about the iPad also show in their profile they are Windows users, not Mac... just sayin...
    yeh, but they own other Apple hardware. doesnt mean they're Microsoft fanboys bashing Apple.
    personally, i own an iPhone, run Win7 but dislike the iPad and im not an Apple basher/Microsoft fanboy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    yeh, but they own other Apple hardware. doesnt mean they're Microsoft fanboys bashing Apple.
    personally, i own an iPhone, run Win7 but dislike the iPad and im not an Apple basher/Microsoft fanboy
    You, my friend, prove my point. And, its interesting that you can "dislike" a product you have never seen, held, or used. You may not think you want an iPad at this time, but to say you dislike it is simply ridiculous - especially since you own a similar product. I would assume that you believe that since the iPad is similar to what you have - the iPhone/iPod - that you don't want it or desire it, because it is so similar. However, the larger screen and faster processor alone make it a different product with tremendous potential.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    You, my friend...blah blah blah... However, the larger screen and faster processor alone make it a different product with tremendous potential.
    You have a valid point. However, not everybody is a DIE-HARD Apple fan such as you. We all have a choice no matter what. I don't buy MACs because they don't have things I want (Blu-ray, HDMI, and TV tuner) and they're expensive! The only thing I feel is great about MACs is the quality build and design. That alone isn't enough to make me want one for MACs aren't mandatory for me to sustain a living.

As for the iPad aka iPod Touch XL... I don't need or want one. I'm somewhat satisfied with my jailbroken iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an jailbroken iPhone can do 150% more of what the iPod Touch XL can do. Right? Everything the iPod Touch XL can do plus, phone calls, capture video, take pictures, and messaging. On top of that, it can fit in my pocket! A bigger screen and slight increase in speed isn't "tremendous" enough to make me buy it.

You my friend, may have the time and money to wait for Apple to put together your dream product, but I don't. Hence, I'll go with what I desire which is the HP Slate, Courier, or Adam.

Thanks

While we are all getting "friendly," please know that I am not a die-hard Apple fan. I have been using computers since CPM days, then into DOS, and eventually into Windows. I have only started using Apple products, and the Mac, about a year and a half ago. I still use PC's, and I end up doing all the tech support for everyone where I am at. I started using Apple products because of my lousy experience with a Windows Mobile phone, leading my to try an iPhone. I was so pleased with it, that I looked into getting a Mac. I have a MacBook Pro now, and find that it simply works. All the time. No problems. I am not a PC. And, I am not a Mac. I am an individual who uses the products that work for me, rather than me working for them. I have made arrangements to purchase an iPad, most certainly not because I have plenty of money, but rather, because I will be able to use this successfully to help me in my line of work. And, I will be able to do that with an iPad in ways that I can't use my iPhone or my MacBook. It will be used to replace my KindleDX. And, additionally, it has the capabilities of doing far more than the Kindle could ever do.

That's my reason. It's obviously not the same situation for everyone. But, for anyone to put down the product simply because they can see no personal value in having one is both short-sighted and ignorant. There are many things that I have no use for, but that does not make that product worthless or the person buying one lacking in intelligence. And, I guess that is what seems so curious to me - why people who don't see a need for the iPad insist on complaining about it. If it's not for you, then fine - don't buy it. I can introduce you to many people who would use your same logic and rationale to put down the iPhone. Does that make the iPhone worthless?

But, it appears that there are many people who agree with me. They were selling, at least the first weekend, at a rate of 25,000 per hour. I wish I had something so worthless to sell.

Thanks

Honestly, I'm not trying to degrade meaning to any Apple products. As you can tell I'm young (22) and my line of work doesn't revolve around needing a well put together product. Most likely in the future when I no longer have discretionary income I'll look into making better investments. Till then, I want products that can do for me. PC's have their faults but they get the job done at a low price in my opinion. In a way, we're both new to Apple products. I owned the first iPod and iPhone till now. But it wasn't till I followed the iPhone when I saw Apple's marketing plan. Yearly updates adding outdated/minor features ... Hands down, the iPhone was probably the greatest mobile product created in the last decade. I applaud Apple for that. On the other hand, phone manufactures are starting to catch up and surpass Apple.

You have to understand my friend, many of us had high hopes for Apple and they let us down. I had enough with their lock down system. The only reason I still have an iPhone is because it can be jailbroken and I managed to get AT&T $15/month 3G data plan to work. Had the N900 or HD2 supported AT&T 3G bands, I would have been ditched the iPhone ages ago. We have the right to pick and choose as a consumer. Now that the iPhone has 25% of the smartphone market (US) I personally don't have the passion to wanting it anymore. My 'cool' factor died. Lol. I want the next best thing and it won't be from Apple.

Of course the iPad is going to sell. We already knew. Just wait and see how many people will complain, return, and sell the iPad. Most of the early buyers are developers anyways. Apple's new focus went from "high class" to "cash cow". I'm so over the App Store. I don't play games for there's no dedicated buttons. The App Store is the iPhone's only claim to fame and you know it. Developers will eventually export their apps across all platforms to maximize revenue. Then what will Apple have to say about that?

Thanks

its going to be an exciting launch for sure.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

lets put the iPad arguements behind us and be friends, OK?