+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Accessories Delayed: Victims of Success?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad Accessories Delayed: Victims of Success?

The first weekend of iPadmania brought upwards of 150,000 pre-orders, according to estimates floating around the Web, with store reservations adding an unknown number to the total. While Apple insists that all pre-orders and reservations will be fulfilled on April 3, the company is apparently hedging its bets for a number of iPad accessories. Ship dates for some items were pushed back to May on the online Apple Store, with no explanation forthcoming from Apple about the delay.

The iPad case is said to start shipping in mid-April. The iPad Keyboard Dock, which includes an aluminum keyboard with special "iPad keys" won't ship until late April, and the 10W Power Adapter that offers a longer 6-foot (2m) power cord for charging. And there’s still no information about the mysterious Camera Connection Kit, which is supposed to provide both a USB connection and an SD card port. The regular iPad Dock and the Dock to VGA Adapter will apparently still be available.

Some observers saw the sharp decline in the number of iPad pre-orders after the first day as a sign that sales might not be as brisk as the hype may have suggested. Persistent rumors of supply problems were bolstered by Apple pushing the release date of the iPad back to early April after promising a late March delivery. The launch was also limited to the US alone, with availability still vaguely claimed as "late April" in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK, and unknown in other markets.

Still, it could be that unexpectedly brisk business in accessories - with keyboards possibly much in demand by people who aren't sure how they're going to type on a tablet - could have forced Apple to push shipping dates back.

Boy Genius Report passed on information from the flagship Apple Store in New York City that indicate that most people are going for the midrange 32GB model, and that this is "what Apple was expecting." Reportedly about 50% of store reservations were for the 32GB iPad, with 30% for the 64GB unit and the remainder for the 16GB model.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

On my invoice it didn't have a specific date for the case. I'd imagine they're trying to get all the iPad orders filled first. Oh well, I'll just be excited to have my new toy

Thanks

how interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

My conformation said my case was coming with my iPad on the 3rd. Glad I ordered at 7:31

Thanks

im tryin my best to hold out on dis ipad until i get some hands on, and i wanna see what else comes out...but it is temptin as ****
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

Is that 2nd item a case or is it something that turns your iPad into a very expensive picture frame?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to knguyen For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (03-16-2010)

Thanks

Ya know, with that keyboard attached, it looks suspiciously like a laptop....

I didn't see the specs so I'm assuming the keypad does physically attach to the ipad. I wonder if there will be any compatibility with standard wireless keyboards ( yeah right!! )

I don't know, but from the looks of it apple care is going to be doing a lot of dock repairs if that keypad doesn't have some auxilliary support.
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 03-16-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

if i ordered an ipad, the only one i would have cared about was the keyboard stand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    Is that 2nd item a case or is it something that turns your iPad into a very expensive picture frame?
    That second item is a nifty iPad case that doubles as a stand, of sorts. The panels are "re-enforced" or something for extra strength, and it can be positioned to make the iPad slope like a keyboard. Neat, eh?

Thanks

i look at most of the iPAd accessories kind of like the Wii's accessories. a cumbersome burden..
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    That second item is a nifty iPad case that doubles as a stand, of sorts. The panels are "re-enforced" or something for extra strength, and it can be positioned to make the iPad slope like a keyboard. Neat, eh?
    yea the case is sweet. They should make one for the iPhone

Thanks

I still think that by design, it will be a PITA having to support the ipad when your sitting down, and it doesn't look like the stand is going to be too stable. I still want one though, but I'll wait unroll they start popping up for sale used, cause that's how I roll

*until*
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 03-16-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

we will see a knockoff version of the case in no time from the communist chinese

Thanks

Communist Chinese?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

My case ships on 4-15 and delivery date is 4-20

I was not to happy about that... I ordered the second morning...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

dude dude, you could just get a real keyboard. cool idea, huh?

Thanks

so will there be a camera attachment or is it a SD card reader?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Ya know, with that keyboard attached, it looks suspiciously like a laptop....

I didn't see the specs so I'm assuming the keypad does physically attach to the ipad. I wonder if there will be any compatibility with standard wireless keyboards ( yeah right!! )

I don't know, but from the looks of it apple care is going to be doing a lot of dock repairs if that keypad doesn't have some auxilliary support.
    They do show that the Apple wireless keyboard will work with the ipad.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTcyMTgwOTU
    Last edited by vindutch; 03-18-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: To add a link