+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Websites Going Flash Free for iPad, iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If there's one lesson we've clearly learned about Apple, it's that Cupertino gets what Cupertino wants. And what Cupertino wants at present is a smorgasbord of websites, mobile applications, and
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,585
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Websites Going Flash Free for iPad, iPhone



    If there's one lesson we've clearly learned about Apple, it's that Cupertino gets what Cupertino wants. And what Cupertino wants at present is a smorgasbord of websites, mobile applications, and other digital content suppliers to crank out new flash-free offerings optimized for the iPad.

    Apparently, Apple's wish is everyone else's command. Despite the consistent barbs from critics, Apple is successfully changing the way many websites would have otherwise functioned with Flash for the sake of capturing a chunk of the tablet's presumably large forthcoming audience.

    Today, the world learned that both National Public Radio and The Wall Street Journal are also bucking large chunks of their Flash content and, instead, now working on iPad-specific versions of their websites.

    NPR and the WSJ are in good company. As we recently witnessed, a growing number of companies - not even those confined to the publishing or broadcasting industries - are changing how they do business in order to accommodate how Apple is doing business. Virgin America recently endeared itself to iPhone users by removing all Flash content that would have impeded travelers from checking their flight status on the popular Apple smartphone.

    While its premature to estimate if Apple's no-Flash posturing will do irreparable damage to Adobe, it is clear at present that companies want - and need - Apple. And if Apple goes without Flash, it seems so too will others - many others.

    Image via tipb

  2. #2
    Green Apple sk_anti35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts

    I am apple follow my commands!

  3. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    920
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 128 Times in 123 Posts

    F'in pussies

  4. #4
    CHUCK-TASTIC battlecrushr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston follow @al_da_beast
    Posts
    7,940
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

    wow apple




    Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

  5. #5
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    That's stupid if companies give in to Apple! I want Flash player on my iPhone.

    Why doesn't the MMi full site work on the iPhone, no matter how many times you click on Normal Version, it still gives me the iPhone site and I hate that, is it because there's flash on MMi

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  6. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Apple reminds me of that person you work with who takes a position on something, gets proven 100% wrong, and continues to argue just for pride's sake, refusing to admit they're wrong in the face of insurmountable evidence to the contrary. Those people annoy everyone.

    There's no reason for Apple not to make Flash an optional feature in mobile Safari.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to aperry For This Useful Post:

    SquareWheel (03-16-2010)

  8. #7
    iPhoneaholic extremzocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    world domination... its happening

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to extremzocker For This Useful Post:

    dsg (03-16-2010)

  10. #8
    apatia z3r01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,697
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 886 Times in 557 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    F'in pussies
    lmao , why you say that, eff that i would rather have a less hoggy pluggin takin my resources then that fat ***** of an app called flash lmao..

    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    That's stupid if companies give in to Apple! I want Flash player on my iPhone.

    Why doesn't the MMi full site work on the iPhone, no matter how many times you click on Normal Version, it still gives me the iPhone site and I hate that, is it because there's flash on MMi
    no, companies are seeing that they can use a standard format like HTML5 to do exactly what they want and not have to worry about user compatability. and by that i mean that there is people still out there with ****** computers that cant work with flash properly...


    so if i was a bug company and say , hey i want a site that is gonna target every one hmmm...lets see..flash? only some computers and a limited number of phones....or html5 that works on anything with a browser..????hmmmmmmmm

    HTML5 FTW!
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

  11. #9
    Retired Moderator soulthoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,097
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 603 Times in 506 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    That's stupid if companies give in to Apple! I want Flash player on my iPhone.

    Why doesn't the MMi full site work on the iPhone, no matter how many times you click on Normal Version, it still gives me the iPhone site and I hate that, is it because there's flash on MMi
    Download useragent faker from cydia and you will get the full lversion.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

    hollow0 (03-17-2010), MetallicaFan1991 (03-16-2010)

  13. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life lolcats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,069
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts

    does anyone actually know any good sites that use html5?

  14. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    lmao , why you say that, eff that i would rather have a less hoggy pluggin takin my resources then that fat ***** of an app called flash lmao..



    no, companies are seeing that they can use a standard format like HTML5 to do exactly what they want and not have to worry about user compatability. and by that i mean that there is people still out there with ****** computers that cant work with flash properly...


    so if i was a bug company and say , hey i want a site that is gonna target every one hmmm...lets see..flash? only some computers and a limited number of phones....or html5 that works on anything with a browser..????hmmmmmmmm

    HTML5 FTW!

    Right, we know, HTML5 is the way to go and I don't think people are arguing this. In fact, I'm sure that in 5-7 years the majority of the websites that currently use Flash will have migrated to HTML5 or some other open standard.

    Of course in 5-7 years we're talking about about the iPad version 5. I think people would like access to this content with iPad version 1. The "boated/battery-killer" arguments are weak as it's pretty easy to make Flash an optional switch in Settings. I don't think it's too much to ask.

  15. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    ...and Flash continues to die a slow death.

    I'm totally okay with that.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to billchase2 For This Useful Post:

    Kroo (03-17-2010)

  17. #13
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    HTML5 isn't even here yet, ffs. I don't want to wait for 4 years to get full web browsing on the iPhone.
    There's still no reason not to put Flash in for now and put an switch in Settings.

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  18. #14
    apatia z3r01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,697
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 886 Times in 557 Posts

    people have grown to live without flash...just because u cant go to your myspace and access ur music or go to hulu or other flash sites that host movies, doesnt mean everyone else wants to (although i want to lol) but the fact of the matter is that i learned to live without it...at first i was like yea i need flash but really....its nothing...even if they put it on i might not use it...being real
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

  19. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts

    lol@soup nazi reference
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

  20. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,224
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Too many issues with flash. Even big companies like YouTube and Google are making HTML5 sites available for phone users, and with so many people using smartphones now they have the right idea.

  21. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts

    First phase of world dominion is complete!
    Once we wipe up Google, deal with this pesky Nokia lawsuit, then make everyone buy wearable computing gear, we can implement phase two-
    mwahahahahahah!!!

  22. #18
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    **** apple

  23. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Why doesn't the MMi full site work on the iPhone, no matter how many times you click on Normal Version, it still gives me the iPhone site and I hate that, is it because there's flash on MMi
    It's a redirection mod they use. It detects the device and directs you to the iPhone template. So every time you click that button it just redirects you back to the iPhone template. I use it too.

    I could care less about Flash support. I have learned to live without it in my iPhone experience. Flash is pretty, flash is useful, and I do think iPhone users deserve a toggle.

    But, why can't websites make two versions of there site? Desktop and mobile. Dekstop version can be all flash pretty and mobile is very basic.

    The computers I've seen that can't stream a video or support flash content need to be thrown out.
    Last edited by iphoneguy.; 03-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.

  24. #20
    Green Apple knguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I wonder what Flash will do to a phone's processor, because it doesn't play nicely with my i7 920. You guys should monitor your CPU when Flash is on once in a while.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts