Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Websites Going Flash Free for iPad, iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

adobe must be pissed

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    I wonder what Flash will do to a phone's processor, because it doesn't play nicely with my i7 920. You guys should monitor your CPU when Flash is on once in a while.
    Streaming a 1080p trailer of Avatar, I get 30% usage on a 1.6GHz Atom with Flash 10.1. I don't know what's wrong with your computer, but it isn't Flash.

EDIT: Getting about 9% CPU usage on my quad core AMD Phenom II x4 streaming the same 1080p video.
    Last edited by Success.Is.Sweet; 03-16-2010 at 09:11 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Flash was introduced FOURTEEN YEARS AGO, those of you that are trying to rationalize why Apple wouldn't put a toggle for it are only fooling yourselves. Maybe if Apple bumped up the battery capacity instead of DECREASING IT we wouldn't be facing these problems. My absolute number one gripe with the iPhone is the poor battery life, something that could definitely be remedied considering the amount of profit already made with each iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    I wonder what Flash will do to a phone's processor, because it doesn't play nicely with my i7 920. You guys should monitor your CPU when Flash is on once in a while.

On a computer running Windows flash doesn't bog down the CPU very much at all. Macs on the other hand (I'm guessing you are on a mac) is terrible with flash why exactly? well I don't think anyone really knows must have something to do with lazy programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    On a computer running Windows flash doesn't bog down the CPU very much at all. Macs on the other hand (I'm guessing you are on a mac) is terrible with flash why exactly? well I don't think anyone really knows must have something to do with lazy programmers.
    Video streaming and flash is terrible on MAC computers. I can vouch for that first hand.

Take the MAC supports. lol

Thanks

Soup Nazi reference was awesome.

Apple are dickheads.

im just putting this out there. [adobe.com] will be the last to stop using flash on their website. =P
    killall Terminal[]

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    lol@soup nazi reference
    ditto that...lol.....love the soup nazi reference ...and one of the best episodes i may add

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    people have grown to live without flash...
    uh...no, we haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    just because u cant go to your myspace and access ur music or go to hulu or other flash sites that host movies, doesnt mean everyone else wants to
    those aren't the only sites people visit.

sometimes I think people that have been living in the Mac world where flash is so hot have conflated their experience with the 90% of computer users NOT running MacOS who have had a perfectly fine experience with flash. you guys hate Flash in ways that people using Windows and Linux do not. it's unfortunate that your experience hasn't been great...but don't presume that the rest of us are ready to toss Flash just because you're not happy with it.

you guys represent 10% of the computing world, give or take. until it stinks for the rest of us, we won't feel a need to "get over it". and really, Flash is only going to get better and better now that its dominance is in jeopardy. if flash gets better, it will remain on top.

nobody cares what websites use to serve up the content so long as they can get it.

Thanks

GEORGE: Um, excuse me, I - I think you forgot my bread.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The funny thing is that I have a Mac, and flash works just fine. And on my iPhone, I don't NEED flash the majority of the time, but when it pops up, it would be nice to be able to use it. If there's a toggle in the settings for it, there's plausible deniability for all the people who complain about their battery dying faster hehehe.
    Flash is not going anywhere.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    uh...no, we haven't.

sometimes I think people that have been living in the Mac world where flash is so hot have conflated their experience with the 90% of computer users NOT running MacOS who have had a perfectly fine experience with flash. you guys hate Flash in ways that people using Windows and Linux do not. it's unfortunate that your experience hasn't been great...but don't presume that the rest of us are ready to toss Flash just because you're not happy with it.

you guys represent 10% of the computing world, give or take. until it stinks for the rest of us, we won't feel a need to "get over it". and really, Flash is only going to get better and better now that its dominance is in jeopardy. if flash gets better, it will remain on top.

nobody cares what websites use to serve up the content so long as they can get it.
    My flash experience has been fine actually but i doubt flash will become so much better. I think it'll stay the same. Like one person says it's been around for 14yrs..how much better can it get.. companies have made formats for Apple to connect with for a long time. Look at all of the podcasts and ipod functionality out there. I think almost every car stereo is ipod capable. So i wouldn't doubt that websites will merge to html5. It'll happen whether you like it or not. If html5 is universal and not dependent on certain PCs and mobile phones than why not go to it? And besides iPhone is not the only phone that cannot access flash. We may represent 10% of the world but that 10% has been known to change things dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    HTML5 isn't even here yet, ffs. I don't want to wait for 4 years to get full web browsing on the iPhone.
    There's still no reason not to put Flash in for now and put an switch in Settings.
    Umm, WRONG. There's plenty of HTML5 content out there, including youtube, you're obviously not looking hard enough. All third party Web browser coders have decided to drop support for flash also because whether you know it or not, it's a piece of ccrappp! Bugs, security holes and failure to keep up with OS's other than MS. Web content shouldn't revolve around one plugin that has excluded all others FOR A PRICE and stole open web content from the masses. Build a bridge, flash wrote its own demise. GONE!! Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    uh...no, we haven't.

WRONG. Linux is dropping support for flash also, google linux flash problems, you'll see. The tired old argument "you're only 10% of the market" gets stale and even you guys know it's a lame excuse for crapp programming. There are more chopsticks sold in the world compared to knives and forks, so we should give it up to chopsticks now? Give me a break. The market will decide, not whiney little pussies playing flash games with one hand. What's wrong with choice? Should we just let Adobe run all web content. Web content used to be 100% open, until MS pushed flash on all its OS's 15 years ago, swamping the market and killing competition. I'm sorry you have a problem with choice being offered to ALL users of the web. Don't like it? Get yourself something else, now that's choice!! I want choice too, and that's no more flash!!

THIS JUST IN....... Internet Explorer is adding support for HTML5 and javascripting. Read here> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8271
    Last edited by Kroo; 03-17-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    Umm, WRONG. There's plenty of HTML5 content out there, including youtube, you're obviously not looking hard enough.
    i went to the supposed html5 youtube website on my ipod. didn't work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (03-17-2010)

Try YouTube and enable HTML5

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    my thoughts exactly. my macbook is horribly slow at everything that has do do with anything that isn't local to the hard drive. point in case: my ipod touch both loads web pages and streams you tube videos faster than this 1000$ macbook.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeT674's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    lol@soup nazi reference
    rofl!

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post
    Umm, WRONG. There's plenty of HTML5 content out there, including youtube, you're obviously not looking hard enough. All third party Web browser coders have decided to drop support for flash also because whether you know it or not, it's a piece of ccrappp! Bugs, security holes and failure to keep up with OS's other than MS. Web content shouldn't revolve around one plugin that has excluded all others FOR A PRICE and stole open web content from the masses. Build a bridge, flash wrote its own demise. GONE!! Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    There's plenty of HTML5 content? In your words...."Ummm WRONG". Yeah, everyone knows that YouTube and possibly Hulu are working on it which is out of necessity because their entire business is dependent on Flash right now.

As for the rest of the roughly 30% of all websites that use Flash.....care to speculate on how many of those 10's of millions of websites have converted to HTML5? When will they spend the time and money to port everything over? The most popular browser in the world doesn't even fully support it yet, so my guess is several years at best.

I don't really know how to "learn to live without it" on my iphone because some sites simply require it and are completely useless without it. I couldn't view a menu from a restaurant last weekend in my iPhone because the site was full Flash. Sucked for me (and I guess sucked for them because we didn't go there).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    [COLOR="Red"

Why doesn't the MMi full site work on the iPhone, no matter how many times you click on Normal Version, it still gives me the iPhone site and I hate that, is it because there's flash on MMi [/COLOR]
    On a jailbroken iPhone... Install UAFaker as an SBS toggle. You should be able to view all full websites as if your on a desktop.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to iBwizzle For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (03-17-2010)

Flash can't die soon enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast