Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carmack Wants to Bring Rage to the iPhone/iPad

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Carmack Wants to Bring Rage to the iPhone/iPad

Pioneering game developer John D. Carmack won his third lifetime achievement award at the Game Developer's Choice Awards in San Francisco, and gave an interview to Kotaku from the floor of Moscone Center. In the interview, he revealed that his company, id Software, "certainly are expecting to try" to bring the hotly-anticipated Rage title to the iPhone OS. He also said that despite his advocacy of iPhone gaming, Apple didn't send him a prerelease iPad.

Carmack, who co-designed Doom and was lead designer of Wolfenstein 3D and the Quake series of games, is hard at work on id Tech 5, the latest generation of the venerable Doom engine. Rage will be the first title based on id Tech 5, with Doom 4 expected later this year. Rage is a post-apocalyptic game in the style of Mad Max, set in the near future following the impact of the asteroid 99942 Apophis, and combines a first-person shooter with a road racing game.

Carmack is passionate about the iPhone, calling it a real game platform, not a tiny little toy. He has complained about "software inefficiencies" in the OS, though, saying that "in raw hardware horsepower, the iPhone should be better in performance than the Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable." He's met with Apple to try and explain how they could do things better, but it's not clear that they took the advice. They certainly did not show him their gratitude by giving him an iPad, but that's all air through the engine for Carmack.

He personally brought the Doom Classic and Wolfenstein 3D Classic iPhone apps into existence, more or less working on them in his spare time, and says his dream is to spend a couple of months every year just coding iPhone games.

Forget an iPad: Apple should be paying this guy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (03-16-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nicee cant wait

Thanks

Should be interesting.

An an OG Doom fan, Carmak is a god in my book.

googles rage
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    lol... I won't be playing that on an iPhone... but I can't wait for it to be released for PC...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

RAGE looks pretty awesome. It should be a spectacular Windows game (sorry Macs), but I've no idea how it would play on the iPhone. Most iPhone shooters I've tried have had dreadful controls and only basic graphics.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
    RAGE looks pretty awesome. It should be a spectacular Windows game (sorry Macs), but I've no idea how it would play on the iPhone. Most iPhone shooters I've tried have had dreadful controls and only basic graphics.
    I'm enjoying every second of Brother in Arms 2. And Call of Duty: Nazi Zombies is my most played game.

It doesn't even feel like I'm playing on a touch screen anymore.

Looking forward to RAGE. Carmack is such an awesome advocate for the iPhone and Apple should utilize while they still can.

I wonder if his phone is jailbroken ^_^

Great story, I'm even more surprised that I haven't seen this on Joystiq.com or TouchArcade.com. as they are usually my go-to sites for iPhone gaming news. Could MMi start doing gaming news? That way I don't have to go anywhere else? =P lol
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 03-16-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    #eli7e revived me

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

^ I second that iPhone/iPod/iPad gaming section....let's face it, Apple probably make most of their profit on application sales via the games.
    3G vs 3G'S' is like comparing a standard BMW to an 'M-Tech' version of the same car. They pretty much look identical, but it's whole 'nother beast beneath the shell.
    The 'S' is for 'Sheer' Power.

nice photoshop job on the picture

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh...

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

why not. i think games and mods will be the best part of owning an ipad. if there are enough great games i might consider getting one...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Caboose1408's Avatar
    Thanks

This should be absolutely badass if Carmack goes through with it. I am a big fan of Doom, Wolf, and Quake. So another ID game coming to iPhone. Schweet!