+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Docs Reveal "Elite" iPad Details

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The FCC approved the iPad on Friday, just in time for the device to be sold legally in the United States. The lengthy application was partially held confidential by the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default FCC Docs Reveal "Elite" iPad Details

The FCC approved the iPad on Friday, just in time for the device to be sold legally in the United States. The lengthy application was partially held confidential by the US regulatory agency, as is often the case to protect trade secrets, so there were few blockbuster revelations. However, the documents confirmed that new device will support dual-band WiFi and AT&T's faster HSPA standard, and that the part number for the Wi-Fi + 3G model would be A1337.

All new devices that emit electromagnetic energy must receive approval from the US Federal Communication Commission before they can be sold in the United States. It's a fairly laborious process to test the device to show that it adheres to the required standards limiting interference and potentially unsafe emissions, and to fill out and send the required documents to the FCC. It usually takes manufacturers weeks to complete the process, and so information often enters the public record before a device is ever available.

Not so with Apple. The secretive company timed its submission so that the approval was received just as preorders began on Friday. While there are no secrets revealed by the application, it does show details about the WiFi and 3G models that had not yet been confirmed by Apple.

A fairly significant revelation is that the iPad will support dual-band 802.11n WiFi, in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. This is potentially a very valuable feature, as the 2.4 GHz band has become increasingly congested with the proliferation of 802.11a/b/g WiFi hotspots. With more and more WiFi-enabled devices entering the market (and Apple reportedly sold 100,000 iPads yesterday alone), wireless networks and hotspots will have an increasing need for spectrum The 5 GHz band, which can only be accessed by 802.11a and dual-band 802.11n devices like the iPad and Apple's Airport Extreme, will provide less crowded spectrum and offer room for growth.

The 3G model (part number A1337 in either a coincidence or a shout out to old-school phreakers) was revealed to have support for AT&T's GSM and UMTS/HSDPA protocols in the 850MHz and 1900MHz bands. AT&T is in the process of rolling out faster 7.2 Mbps HSDPA, which is supported by the iPhone 3GS and the iPad, a process it says will be complete sometime in 2011. Some tests run by Engadget last year, however, showed little speed improvement over the older 3.6 Mbps network.

According to specs released as part of the application, the 3G model is very slightly larger - 0.3mm taller and 0.1mm wider - than the WiFi only model, possibly because of the 3G antenna panel on the top of the device. The difference shouldn't matter, though some tightly-fitting cases may need to be released in two versions to cover the two models

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes. That's intresting I wonde If apple knows
    Last edited by battlecrushr; 03-13-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

ofcourse they do, they know everything, also they made the device
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hm, 5ghz range over iPad or another tablet brand with USB support and I can add a 5ghz USB dongle (there will be a few coming out after this I bet)...

I don't know which. 5ghz is also used for those doing long distance wifi (over 2.4ghz), but with iPads selling 5ghz I think that might be the final push needed for companies to start pushing more 5ghz routers out.

Thanks

Apple knows everything, they are planning world domination

Banned
    Thanks

5GHz wifi is interesting. And 1337 is old school now? Makes me feel old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rota For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (03-13-2010)

Thanks

i needs that iCondom for my iPad

tight fit for my pleasure
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

why wouldn't apple make the wifi model the same size as the 3g model? Thats just stupid on their part. I would have reduced manufacturing cost because thay could have used the same cases for both iPads.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    i needs that iCondom for my iPad

tight fit for my pleasure
    lmao now this is bad...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    why wouldn't apple make the wifi model the same size as the 3g model? Thats just stupid on their part. I would have reduced manufacturing cost because thay could have used the same cases for both iPads.
    0.3 and 0.1mm are almost unmeasurable with anything except a caliper. I don't foresee any issues with cases.

Thanks

good to know
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i wonder what would have happened if they rejected it?

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    If the very small size difference is an issue, it wouldn't put a stress on Apple, it would on the third party case manufacturer so I doubt Apple cares. Besides, it will be the same result as cases for iPod Touch and iPhones - manufacture both cases and potentially make more money.

1337 is 0ld sCh007? iT f337s liK3 y3$t3rdAy wh3n di$ wA$ th3 c007 wAy 2 tALk.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

still debating on whether to order the 64GB wifi or the 64GB 3G... hmmm decisions.

Thanks

Yeah, I don't get the size difference either. Why not make all the cases the same larger size to keep costs down. No one would be able to tell the difference. With two sizes that means you probably need two different molds and machinery for every part that is affected by the size difference.

Unless the cases are actually the same manufactured size and apple just crammed so much stuff in there that it's actually bulging at the seams......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have ordered a 64GB wifi version