+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Focuses on iBooks to Bring In the Bucks

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The expanded iPad section on the Apple website now includes information about iBooks, the app that will be the focus of the e-reader strategy for the iPad, which one analyst
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Focuses on iBooks to Bring In the Bucks

The expanded iPad section on the Apple website now includes information about iBooks, the app that will be the focus of the e-reader strategy for the iPad, which one analyst thinks will be a huge money maker for the company. The information comes as Barnes and Noble - whose Nook device will be one of the main competitors to the iPad as an e-book reader - announced plans to release an iPad app of its own.

Apple's updated website now details the iBooks app for the first time, revealing new information and confirming many of the guesses that have been floating around since the iPad introduction in January. The app, which will initially only be available in the US, will have to be downloaded from the App Store once people start receiving their iPads on April 3rd. By not making the iBooks app native, Apple is allowing competition for e-book reader apps. This could be an indication that the company is softening its traditional Apple-centric strategy, allowing users to get titles from existing e-book marketplaces in a play to make its new device more attractive.

The Apple website confirms reports that the app will support the open ePub standard, so that users will be able to import their existing ePub titles to their iPads in addition to content that they download from the iBookstore, Apple's "iTunes for e-books" marketplace. Apple has not commented on a report in the LA Times that claimed Apple's FairPlay digital-rights management (DRM) technology used to protect iTunes videos will also lock e-books on the iBookstore. Even though ePub is supported, a concern of both open standards advocates and manufacturers of other e-readers is that FairPlay would lock content purchased on the iBookstore and keep it from being readable on other devices.

The new iBooks page describes the app's features, like the ability to go from single-page portrait to double-page landscape mode by rotating the iPad. You can touch-and-hold any word in an e-book to bring up a pop-up menu which will allow you to search for that word inside the e-book or on the Web, or look it up in either the built-in Dictionary app or Wikipedia. Content in iBooks will also be able to take advantage of VoiceOver technology, which uses the iPad's voice synthesizer to turn every book into an audiobook.

By selling content as well as offering an e-book reader for sale, Apple is taking on established e-book players like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, whose B&N eReader for iPad was announced yesterday. Barnes & Noble's software already comes in PC, Mac, iPhone and BlackBerry versions, and allows users to access the more than 700,000 titles available on the Barnes & Noble eBook Store. Like the iBooks app, the eReader app supports the ePub standard.

Apple is counting on the buzz surrounding the iPad - as well as the fact that the device is more than just an e-book reader - to propel it and the iBookstore to dominance in the growing e-book market. Broadpoint AmTech analyst Brian Marshall estimates that Apple will bring in as much as 10% of the money it will make from iPad hardware sales in e-books and other content this year, and 30% in 2011.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be using the book reader a lot for school, I'm thinking others will too which would definitely bring in the big bucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I already have about a dozen books I am ready to purchase. I have been holding off on buying some the past few weeks.

Thanks

I'm interested in seeing how it does as an eReader.

backlit displays are typically not good for reading. will this one be different? we'll see.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I already have about a dozen books I am ready to purchase. I have been holding off on buying some the past few weeks.
    Same here! I'm curious to know how well the voice synthesizer will be, I like listening to audio-books before bed and in between classes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I'll be using the book reader a lot for school, I'm thinking others will too which would definitely bring in the big bucks.
    that's what I'm planning on doing....it would be awesome to have all the college books on the iPad instead of carrying all these heavy textbooks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

that is the main reason why people are buying ipads, so of course that is going to be the biggest money maker for the ipad...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Same here! I'm curious to know how well the voice synthesizer will be, I like listening to audio-books before bed and in between classes.
    Good point. I listen to audio-books a lot on my iPhone. I wonder how loud the iPad will get

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kingboarder View Post
    that's what I'm planning on doing....it would be awesome to have all the college books on the iPad instead of carrying all these heavy textbooks.
    That WOULD be wonderful but I can't help but wonder how long it will take to get textbooks in an online format. It seems that the higher you go in acedemia, the greater the resistance to change.

Then of course there is the economic factor: If the textbook only sells a few hundred copies every year, just how much incentive will there be to convert it to epub?...
    Last edited by davshirley; 03-12-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

the kindle is still a better book reader. it has free access to amazons huge e book library, wirelessly, anywhere.

i can go an entire week on a single charge, and since it has some fancy screen thing, it has no glare, and dosen't need a backlight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

(Sarcastic Tone)

Oh wow... I had no clue the iPad was made to make Apple money. For some strange reason, I thought it was a free product for Apple loyal fans. What was I thinking???

On another note, I hope it sells billions. I recently became a Republican (by 50.0000000001% decision). I love to see corporations such as Apple make tons in profit (and save it) while the poor communities struggle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

It comes down to the person, if you can't afford it then don't buy it. That is the general rule for any purchase.

I have a few books in mind that I would like to get. I had a the Sony reader before. I liked it but this will allow me to do more than jsut read a book on it.
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-12-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default .:My First Double Reply:.
    It'll be the same as the iPhone 3Gs; good enough for dictating simple commands. Nothing more and nothing less. Assuming Apple has nothing up it's selves that is...

Quote Originally Posted by kingboarder View Post
    Stop whining... Carrying books build character! LL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Stop whining... Carrying books build character! LL.
    yeah right...currently I just leave 'em at home

Thanks

I'm not really interested in the iPad, I'm really interested in the AT&T Unlimited 3G Data for $30!

I wonder if there is anyway I could possibly use this with my XPS Laptop. It has the AT&T 3G WLAN Card, but I haven't used it due to the high cost of "DataConnect" plans ($35 for 250MB WITH A 2 YEAR CONTRACT!!!). If I can get a $30 iPad plan working on my laptop without a contract, I'd be one happy camper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

It will probably be like the iPhone plan and have a invisible 5 gig limit. After that becomes suspicious.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post

the kindle is still a better book reader. it has free access to amazons huge e book library, wirelessly, anywhere.

i can go an entire week on a single charge, and since it has some fancy screen thing, it has no glare, and dosen't need a backlight.
    What relevance does anything you say have to do with this article? Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    (Sarcastic Tone)

Oh wow... I had no clue the iPad was made to make Apple money. For some strange reason, I thought it was a free product for Apple loyal fans. What was I thinking???

On another note, I hope it sells billions. I recently became a Republican (by 50.0000000001% decision). I love to see corporations such as Apple make tons in profit (and save it) while the poor communities struggle.
    So I gather your disgust goes out to Microsoft, Google, Amazon, IBM etc also? Or does your prejudices extend only to Apple, MS fanboy? Last time I heard, Bill Gates made more money than anyone else in the IT world, along with his company that pumps out high priced garbage. How does that sit with your "morals"? I eagerly await your critic of the fabled MS eReader.
    Last edited by Kroo; 03-13-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post

are you aware that the title of this thread is "ipad to focus on ebooks"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroo View Post

So I gather your disgust goes out to Microsoft, Google, Amazon, IBM etc also? Or does your prejudices extend only to Apple, MS fanboy? Last time I heard, Bill Gates made more money than anyone else in the IT world, along with his company that pumps out high priced garbage. How does that sit with your "morals"? I eagerly await your critic of the fabled MS eReader.
    Yep,*I*was*hoping*someone*would*bring*this*up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there any easy way to convert books already purchased with the Kindle to use on the iPad? I know you can load the Kindle app and read them there, but it might be a nice thing to have all your books in the same place on an iPad.