+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPadmania Roundup: Apple Selling 20,000 iPads an Hour?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
An eager iPad early adopter bought two iPads 30 minutes apart and noticed that the order number for the second one was 10000 higher than the first, prompting him to
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPadmania Roundup: Apple Selling 20,000 iPads an Hour?

An eager iPad early adopter bought two iPads 30 minutes apart and noticed that the order number for the second one was 10000 higher than the first, prompting him to wonder if Apple really sold twenty thousand gizmos every hour this morning. As the mania surrounding Preorder Day subsides, a number of updates - including details about the 3G data plan - have emerged throughout the day.

Apple announced this morning that businesses and individuals could pre-order no more than two iPads, which will be delivered for free on April 3, if Saturday delivery is available in their area. Others can reserve their iPads for in-store pickup if they want to be first on their block, but Apple will only ship enough iPads to each store to cover the number that are reserved for pickup at that store, so don't think you can just walk in and buy one on the 3rd. Rumors of supply problems with the iPad have been going around over the past few weeks, and even though both manufacturers and Apple themselves have denied the claim, the 2-per-person limit and the restriction of the launch to the US only raise questions.

Phanfare CEO Andrew Ehrlichson bought as many iPads as he - or anyone else in the US - could: two. As he wrote on his blog this morning, he looked at the difference between the two order numbers and speculated that Apple was selling ten thousand every thirty minutes: or as he notes "$10MM (ten million US dollars)/hour." As Ehrlichson noted, there's no way of knowing if all the orders were for iPads, or even if the order numbers are sequential, but as he observed "at 830am in the morning on the east coast, my guess is that most of the orders were for iPads."

Apple's updated specs page for the iPad revealed a few previously-unknown details, such as the fact that the Mute button right above the volume controls on the device's side has somewhat surprisingly been changed to a Rotation Lock button. Engaging the switch will prevent the device's orientation from changing when the motion sensor detects that the iPad has shifted from vertical to horizontal. This is presumably to help make it easier to read, browse and game on the move, or when you're lying down. Hopefully we'll get one of these for iPhones as well.

The website also noted that iPad Wi-Fi + 3G owners who use the 250MB plan will be able to upgrade to the $29 unlimited plan whenever they want, or they can add an additional 250MB for $14.99 on the fly. The iPad will have a Cellular Data section within Settings that will show your real-time data usage. pressing a button on this screen will allow you to add data to your plan or upgrade to unlimited. Users of the 250MB plan will receive push notifications when they get close to their limit: one at 20 percent, 10 percent, and one when you're out.

There is no way of knowing if Apple's limits on the number of available iPads is related to supply constraints, or if it's just a way to increase demand by making them harder to get. It seems hard to believe that Apple would do anything other than sell as many devices as they can as quickly as they can, but they didn't get $40 billion in cash by being dumb businesspeople.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (03-12-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

damn thats alot an hour! and i think im the first

iPhone? More like MyPhone playboii's Avatar
    Thanks

I still dont see the point of the iPad if it isnt jailbroken. What can you do on the iPad that you can't do on the iphone? And dont tell me e-books because nobody here is going to use this crap to read books. And really who reads books? lol (I dont). I see the potential for the iPad ONCE is jailbroken but in stock form is a peace of HIGH PRICED CRAP. And whos going to buy this for games? Really? Touch screen games are horrible by the way. I own zero games on my iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Holy crap rotation lock in OS 4.0 PLEASE!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playboii View Post
    And really who reads books? lol (I dont).
    Is that right?

Anyway, They must be in short supply. I see no other reason to limit it to two. Maybe 10 if they were trying to prevent people from reselling them. It wouldn't let me buy a third one this morning

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (03-18-2010)

Thanks

Can't wait for the reviews...

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

where is my 'iPad countdown widget' for my MBP ;-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No I was

Thanks

Worthless piece of junk
    EDM

Thanks

playboii - I read books. playboii - Touchscreen games suck because you have never played any to compare them to anything but suck? Article - These bloggers get dumber by the day. 20,000/hr because his second order number was over 10,000 higher in number than the first. This has to be an Apple plant, right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They just sent out emails with all the pre order info that got me to at least reserve one

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    Worthless piece of junk
    Welcome to the forums Bill Gates. You'll find the dummy on the floor behind you.!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Red face Can't wait
    Ordered mine this morning 64gig wifi.

Why are all of these negative nancy's posting comments. They are on the wrong forum.
    Last edited by acidburn; 03-12-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Had something better to say

Thanks

I bet that when apple sends the out of data notification they probably charge overage for the data used by their message !! Now that's funny!!

Why the hell would someone actually be proud and/ or think that it's funny that they don't read books. Is that somethng to be proud of?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm with Acidburn on this one..16GB ready for pickup for me, and ill be out there waiting the night before. I'm wondering how long the lines will be, since they may only have enough for the preorder people...is there going to be any point in 'camping' then? I've never had a chance to, so I kinda want to be first in line with this one..but no idea what time to arrive at the Apple store...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd never get a tablet, but if i was I'd get the Dell mini Tablet, or the HP tablet and wave my flash support and widgets right in front of the ipad users face.

That's a fact
    Last edited by mudrock1000; 03-12-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

^ I'm not sure that is really a "fact" , and even if it was, is it really necessary to state that it is?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wrong post to complain in, I think...hmm. Flash...no flash....I like no flash better...
    Last edited by DubbaCTrumpetMSU; 03-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks

Lolcats- I'm pretty sure that comment crossed the line of taking things a little too far. But that's just my opinion

Green Apple
    Thanks

Haters, are we? Good lord. I'm surprised you get this worked up about something you aren't even going to buy. Leave it be already. If you need flash, I'm sure there are lots of Windows and Android tablets coming. If you want a Dell Mini...buy a Dell Mini. Buy what you want, and be done with it.