+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google, Amazon, and Dell Ready The Streak Tablet

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Amazon, Dell, and Google are taking aim at iTunes in a joint venture that - all kidding aside - could seriously challenge iTune's digital preeminence like no competitor has until
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Google, Amazon, and Dell Ready The Streak Tablet

Amazon, Dell, and Google are taking aim at iTunes in a joint venture that - all kidding aside - could seriously challenge iTune's digital preeminence like no competitor has until now. The hullabaloo started when pictures surfaced on the Internet of what appeared to be a Dell presentation revealing the Google Android-powered Dell Streak tablet. But here's the kicker. This handy-dandy device will come with access to hundreds of thousands of e-books from Kindle, more than ten million songs from Amazon, and a rental or purchase platform for tens of thousands of films and television shows.

All told, this bountiful offering of digital content closely resembles the business model employed so beautifully by Apple - you know, dangling the software in order to sell the hardware. In this case, however, the substantial wealth of content served up by this troika of powerhouse brands could seriously jolt many complacent Apple customers into trying something new.

What could also help convince some Apple lovers to jump ship from an iPad to the Streak is that the Dell device will have wireless 3G access to the Kindle Store - a perk that comes with no hidden fees, contracts, monthly plans, or - obviously- the need to find a convenient Wi-Fi location. Of course, some have said the biggest drawback to the Dell Streak is its rumored five-inch screen. For a lot of folks, that screen is just too dinky to comfortably manage.

Then again, if you're not sold on the iPad or the Streak, there's really no rush to jump on any one tablet in particular at this stage of game. After all, ARM Holdings, a prominent semiconductor intellectual property (IP) supplier, speculates that as many as fifty new iPad-like tablet devices could be unveiled before the end of this year. Indeed, the tablet menu for consumers will be full of more initial selections than we could have possibly imagined only a short while ago.

Image via Engadget

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Options options options! I Really don't see apple being topped on the ipad immediately. But once someone releases a tablet powerful enough to run windows 7 seamlessly then there might just be some competition.
    As for this device, I can see that so called "free" 3G access to the media store(s) being hacked for "free" 3G access to the entire WEB. Kindle a flame for a new homebrew scene?
    Last edited by scatman10; 03-11-2010 at 01:00 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if all it does is offer music, books, and videos then iPad already has this neat for the fact that it does more. But it's still early. Although a nice alternative to Kindle I'm sure we will see some nicer tablets near the end of this year. Hopefully we'll have a tablet that runs Win7 or OSX

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's funny that it's taking Google, Amazon, and Dell to put out something that's "competition" for iTunes. It's definitely not a bad thing, I just find it funny. I'm betting the iPad will still be ahead of The Streak in more than just screen size.

Thanks

not interested. i want the next iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    In my opinion Apple will continue to dominate because this is the company with the innovations and everyone else is always trying to catch up. When the iphone came out everyone tried to come up with an iphone killer. Recently it was Apple that came out with the "tablet computer" and now everyone is trying to catch up.

As someone else said before, it is quite interesting to see that it takes more than 2 technology giants to try to put a dent to Apple's competitive edge/advantage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'll get the iPad. It really would work well for me and beat out any other electronic device for me, including laptops. Plus, as a developer, I can take the purchase as a tax deduction as well. Double score!

Thanks

when all you can do is try to keep up with the Jones', you will always look like an also-ran follower. these companies have all failed to come up with things that can stand on their own, with their own unique, must-have features. how so many brilliant minds at these companies can be so...uncreative baffles me sometimes.

don't they realize these kind of products only serve to make the iPad look BETTER, as the iPad does all of these things BETTER than these devices do?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I think it's funny that it's taking Google, Amazon, and Dell to put out something that's "competition" for iTunes. It's definitely not a bad thing, I just find it funny. I'm betting the iPad will still be ahead of The Streak in more than just screen size.
    there's nothing funny about it, as it's not unusual. it took Apple a decade to build iTunes into the digital distro powerhouse that it is. it didn't happen over night. and if Rome wasn't built in a day, simple logic suggests it'll take more than a day to knock it down. given the sheer size and magnitude of iTunes, it SHOULD take several companies offerings to compete. Few other companies are even trying to offer so much variety in their content in one place.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exactly! It is Dell Mini 5 - It needs data connection and available only for AT&T. Fabricating information? No good guys!
    Search Google for "Custom Firmware 3.1.2" if you don't have a Mac and are using Windows!

Thanks

where does it say its for att? get facts please
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    not interested. i want the next iPhone
    Me too man!!

You know what I find odd? Apple releases a touch screen phone. Next thing you know, everyone and their mother is releasing touch screen phones. Now, Apple is releasing the iPad and guess what? Everyone and their mother is releasing a tablet of some kind.

I know, Apple wasnt the first to come out with a touch screen phone or a tablet device but they sure do have a knack for leading the way for everyone else. Its kind of like being the first on the dance floor and then everyone following you. I guess others wait to see if you will be laughed at or you are really good.
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 03-11-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOrioles33 For This Useful Post:

ryanofdiamonds (03-11-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    there's nothing funny about it, as it's not unusual. it took Apple a decade to build iTunes into the digital distro powerhouse that it is. it didn't happen over night. and if Rome wasn't built in a day, simple logic suggests it'll take more than a day to knock it down. given the sheer size and magnitude of iTunes, it SHOULD take several companies offerings to compete. Few other companies are even trying to offer so much variety in their content in one place.
    All three of those companies are huge, they all individually have the means to create a competition for iTunes. All I was saying was that I thought it was funny that it's the three of them getting together after years of having iTunes to make something comparable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

this actually looks pretty good, but people also said that the zine would take out the ipod. lets see what happens...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    WTF MMI... every time I correct your mistakes you delete my post...
    lol wtf?

anyways, my thought - this is way lamer now that I see it's a phone, not a tablet.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

hrmm 5inch screen. might as well be a phone
    killall Terminal[]