+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad with Verizon MiFi: Why Pay More?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
With the iPad nearing its long awaited launch but initially without 3G capability, Verizon is getting ready for what it sees as "an opportunity" to sell 3G contracts to new
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad with Verizon MiFi: Why Pay More?

With the iPad nearing its long awaited launch but initially without 3G capability, Verizon is getting ready for what it sees as "an opportunity" to sell 3G contracts to new iPad users. A purported internal sales memo that was posted on Engadget today details Verizon's plan to sell its MiFi mobile hotspot product to iPad users. While the idea seems absurd on its face - Verizon's data plan costs far more than AT&T's special iPad rate, and has lower caps - there are some benefits, especially for users longing to be free from AT&T.

The memo's talking points include the fact that the 3G iPad won't go on sale until late next month (though the schedule for the WiFi iPad has already slipped). Verizon also notes that the 3G option adds $130 to the iPad's cost, and repeats the standard "overloaded network with limited coverage" slam. They're entitled, whatever. However, Verizon's MiFi 2200 costs $250, or $50 if you want to go with a two-year contract. The AT&T deal doesn't require a contract, and you get 250MB of data for $15 a month and unlimited for $30. Verizon charges you $40 for up to 250MB, or $60 for 5GB cap, and there's no all-you-can-eat option. If the choice is between that or just waiting a month, it seems like a no-brainer.

Or is it?

One significant difference is that the MiFi can let up to 5 devices connect at once: while your iPad will just be sitting there being an iPad, a MiFi user can be using his iPad or his netbook or his DSi. Or all of them. So you do get more bang for the many more bucks you'll pay for Verizon. Plus, if the doomsayers are right and the coming of the iPad leads to 3Gmageddon, you'd be better off with the largest wireless carrier in the US.

Additionally, Verizon is said to be a year ahead of AT&T in its planned move to 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology. From recent speed trials in Boston and Seattle, Verizon is claiming 40 to 50 megabit per second downloads with peak uploads in the 20 to 25 Mbps range. These are not numbers you'll see in the real world, of course: normal LTE data rates will be more like 5-12 Mbps downstream and 2 to 5 Mbps upstream. However, the possibility of mobile broadband at cable modem speeds may be one compelling reason for users to pass on integrated 3G with their iPads. Look at it this way: you can get a cheaper iPad and upgrade your MiFi to an LTE-compatible unit when the time comes, or you can be stuck with AT&T-only 3G for the life of your iPad.

So could paying Verizon for 3G be an idea so stupid that it actually makes sense?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Fantastic! This brings hope for a future Verizon iPhone!

...or does it?

Thanks

wifi version with mywi is all anyone needs imo
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh Apple, what will they think of next?! /sarcasm

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I doubt LTE will be as broad in coverage in the lifespan of this iPad (which is 1 year as a newer model will surely be released next year).

Also, the idea of using MyWi with the iPad isn't necessarily a good reason to get the Wifi-only iPad. MyWi eats up battery fast, and with the iPad's long lasting battery, using MyWi will limit you (once again) to the iPhone's craptacular battery life.

I've been through all the pros and cons and even though the SMARTEST and CHEAPER move would be to simply wait for the next model of the iPad - I'm going to be getting the 3G-enabled iPad as soon as it is released.

On the other hand, if you're someone who doesn't do a lot of downloading, simply web surf, email, social network, etc., and MAYBE the occasional music download - then getting MiFi would be a good idea as a replacement for not only your mobile internet, but your home internet as well. THAT should be the pitch Verizon should go for.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    ^^ Agreed! ^^

I like the idea of the version mifi as a coworker has one and its great while we are out on audits. However the 5GB cap when multiple users are using it runs up quick. I use 3GB monthly on my iphone and probably will increase now with mywi program! It'll be interesting to see what users say when these products come out. In the mean time I'll just drool over the ipad and wait for the ipad 2 to come out.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I will stick with MyWi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (03-18-2010), SnowLeo (03-11-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

i been using my VZW Palm Pre plus with an app called mytether similar to MyWi. Since i left At&t i just use my 3gs as an ipod touch and its been working great.

Now im gonna sell it and pick up the ipad instead and use my current 30 dollar data plan. Works for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Android WiFi tethering + wifi iPad = perfect for the rare occasion I'm not around wifi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like the Uk fan. Big game Friday and saturday!

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

ya i hopped on this idea last month.i bought 3 mifi's..oh and they can do way more than 5 machines!!!simpley download the config.xml to ur machine and mod to ur liking.u can change 5 clients to 50 or more,also u can change it where ur machine can charge via usb and still ur wifi will remain broadcasted!!stock it shuts wifi of to use the mifi as a standard usb aircard LAME!!!
    Last edited by jedinight; 03-10-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks

Verizon sucks! And their EVDO (3G) is soooooo slow. Sprint and it's cheap prices and 4G mobile hotspot FTW!
    Last edited by ty22; 03-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I will stick with MyWi
    im with you
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"Look at it this way: you can get a cheaper iPad and upgrade your MiFi to an LTE-compatible unit when the time comes, or you can be stuck with AT&T-only 3G for the life of your iPad."

Not like you couldn't get the 3G iPad, use AT&T's 3G and wait for Verizon's 4G to come out in your area, and stop paying AT&T since, you know, there's no contract, and get a 4G MiFi.

I swear this is one of the stupidest articles I've read here. Unless you don't get AT&T 3G in your area or you have a use for a MiFi other than for just the iPad, you'd be stupid to pick the MiFi over 3G iPad.

Me, I'm not getting another iPad. Already have the iPad nano and that works great for me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (03-11-2010)

Thanks

i was thinking 3G version but i think ima go with the wifi

i have 3GS and can tether it so...
    Last edited by z3r01; 03-11-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

Couldn't agree more! MyWi is the way to go. I use it for my laptop when i need internet. Works great.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice article. The only thing that sticks out is that you would have to hedge your bets on an unproven LTE network. Their 3G network is lame enough already even though it is wider spread than the competition. I don't see LTE being a true game player until 2013-2014.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    "Look at it this way: you can get a cheaper iPad and upgrade your MiFi to an LTE-compatible unit when the time comes, or you can be stuck with AT&T-only 3G for the life of your iPad."

Not like you couldn't get the 3G iPad, use AT&T's 3G and wait for Verizon's 4G to come out in your area, and stop paying AT&T since, you know, there's no contract, and get a 4G MiFi.

I swear this is one of the stupidest articles I've read here. Unless you don't get AT&T 3G in your area or you have a use for a MiFi other than for just the iPad, you'd be stupid to pick the MiFi over 3G iPad.

Me, I'm not getting another iPad. Already have the iPad nano and that works great for me.
    How's it a stupid article? Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that it's stupid. I wouldn't go to verizon for data because my connection here is great but for the few that are with them it would prob work out.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow0 For This Useful Post:

ryanofdiamonds (03-11-2010)

Thanks

ok so i dont want to pay for 3G on an iPad now since i have a 3GS which i can do the same thing the MiFi does and the 3G iPad...with my iPhone....save an extra 30 a month thank u very much apple...well dev team for letting me jailbreak and who ever made mywi
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

..except that the wifi version doesn't have 3G, which would make MyWi useless, now wouldn't it?