+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HP Dangles Flash in Front of Apple, iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The forthcoming battle among competing tablets could very well boil down to one word: Flash. After Steve Jobs made it clear that the iPad doesn't need to support Adobe Flash
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default HP Dangles Flash in Front of Apple, iPad

The forthcoming battle among competing tablets could very well boil down to one word: Flash.

After Steve Jobs made it clear that the iPad doesn't need to support Adobe Flash to become the "game-changer," competitors looking to knock Apple off of its tablet perch are now using "Flash" as the buzzword to foreshadow the iPad killer. And Hewlett-Packard is making it clear to everyone that their slate device is superior to the iPad because it supports Flash. As posted on HP's "Voodoo" blog this week:

A big bonus for the slate product is that, being based off Windows 7, it offers full Adobe support.
    While some expect April 3rd, the release date of the iPad, to represent the culmination of the tablet computer hype of the last six months, the reality, of course, is that the era of the tablet has just begun. Shortly after the iPad is rolled out, one competitor after the next will take a swipe at Apple with their own tablet.

As the tablet PC market takes shape, the first - and biggest - battles will clearly be waged over Flash support. It's the haves vs. the have-nots. As the biggest have-not of them all, Apple will be a big target of competitors' ad campaigns. Yet, it doesn't necessarily appear at this time that the general public is so enamored of Flash that the masses will largely shun the iPad in favor of another tablet PC that serves up Flash support. Naturally, however, that's what companies like HP are hoping for to some extent. And its a safe bet that their marketing campaigns will stress this in the coming months.

Image via HP

iPhone? More like MyPhone matt.superman's Avatar
    Thanks

It will only do well if it can run smooth. I alway hate the lag a glitch feel with other devices like the droid. So hopefully, some real competition will come out of this. who knows though. :/
    You must submit to testing before I can assist you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    looks very cool! wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of those

Green Apple
    Thanks

Windows 7 or iPhone os? I'd rather get HPs device. Not that I give 2 ***** about a tablet anyway
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 03-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

my friend is getting one when it first comes out I will check it out and see what I think, I would like to have the option of flash even if i can turn it off or on. I think thats the route apple should take but I am sure the iPad will be solid

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Does not matter who comes in the line of Tablet, despite of not having Flash I believe iPad will still rock the party. And the reason is not new, its same as we have discussed thousand times, its having an ability to use 140,000 Apps from the AppStore. I personally don't like iPad's inability of not having a front camera, multi-tasking and so on... I even think I don't need an iPad but if at any point of time I will change my views on it... I will go for iPad for sure....

iPad SUCKS everyone knows, but other TABLETS are just a small PC and we don't need it!!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still not interested in the iPad regardless of what competition comes along. But I do however also see it as being a leader of some sort, in which all other companies will try their hardest to surpass. Which also means "More competition, more benefits for mankind". Thanks APPLE once again for setting the bar! And F$&k you APPLE for being such greedy, selfish, controlling, and Hitler-like bit**es!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The battle is not about flash. It's not a deal breaker and website should be better if that drop flash anyway. The deal breaker is jailbreaking. Buy an iPad and you can only run software Apple feels is good for them. Buy a Windows table and run anything from any one. That's the only hope non-Apple products have of competing.

Having owned an iPhone for two years and being made to feel like some kind of criminal just because I want control of it is getting tiring. I will never buy another consumer product that I don't have control of as it's just not worth the hassle. I'm even losing my lust for the 27" Mac, I just don't trust Apple to have a road map of open products.

Thanks

i agree, it is annoying that you can only run what apple dictates, BUT the majority of people don't care about this. Only 10% of people jailbreak , and most of those would still get an iphone if they couldn't i'm guessing. This will apply to the ipad as well..

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sphangman View Post
    i agree, it is annoying that you can only run what apple dictates, BUT the majority of people don't care about this. Only 10% of people jailbreak , and most of those would still get an iphone if they couldn't i'm guessing. This will apply to the ipad as well..
    I highly doubt the jailbreaking community makes up 10% of the iPhone market. 10% is a huge chunk of any market. If it were 10%, Apple would have given in long ago.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering that HP revealed their pad before Apple I doubt that anyone is 'taking a swipe at Apple'. They are just releasing superior products which in turn means Apple will be behind in the game, yet once again.

Thanks

All the competitors of Apple have to do is mention that you need flash to view most videos on Youtube , and half the battle is won . I am sure there are a ton of the younger generation looking for that feature as a huge buying point .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 532 Posts

i will be buying the HP over the iPAD for sure....Flash and the freedom of what i wanna install on the device makes HP the best choice...Steve Jobs aka Hitler
    iBOX Series FREE iPhone Themes
    Don't be shy to hit the Donate button if you like what you see

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10914106

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

this looks really cool
    and it's MUCH better then the iPad.
    the iPad needs a real OS, not the iPhone OS.
    the best would be a real OS with appstore apps working on it
    Think about that Apple.
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Considering the (most likely) netbook type internals the market has shown desire for can easily handle Flash and full OS support, there can be a huge market for tablets such as HPs.

There is a huge market for netbooks currently. The time of the disposable computer is quickly becoming a reality. With prices of quality components coming down, as well as mass saturation of products, the idea of spending $300-400 for a computer system with a full blown OS and incredible portability is incredibly attractive. (holy run-on sentence Batman!)

I strongly suggest reading up on Moore's law in regards to where this technology is headed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Has anyone watched the video for the "HP Slate Device" (as it is so aptly named)??? It has lags and delays like nothing else. Plus, it only has a 3.5 hour battery life as stated by HP and runs an OS that isn't designed to be run by touch only (Windows 7 is a desktop OS tweaked to run on a touch device; the iPhone OS is built for touch from the ground up).

I really don't think that Flash is the true issue that HP makes it out to be, it really comes down to the whole package. Apple has years and the successful iPhone and iPod Touch lines to back up the ultra-portable OS battle, not to mention the App Store and the deep bench of the jail-breaking community (you can bet that they will figure out how to jail-break the iPad). You may be able to run what Windows programs you want on the HP, but they won't be built for multi-touch so you'll get a so-so interaction with them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The OP should have posted the videos. one picture doesnt cut it. I love the iphone but having a giant touch is not something i want or need. so far hp slate looks like something i want. Better OS. FULL WEB capabilities! instill users files and programs! usb port! widescreen! cant wait to see the battle begin when they release.

Thanks

HP fully understands touch interfaces. They have had years of touch screen computers as well. It should implement well and definitely has a huge advantage over the limited ipad, but then again you are comparing two totally different products. The ipad is not intended to be a product like the slate. The ipad will sell amongst ipod/iPhone/mac users, the slate will sell well amongst windows users.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The HP Slate is going to be awesome!!! Better than the iPad in every way! Only if Apple released a true tablet, I'm thinking they will next year...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

I agree. I think this is a test run for apple before releasing a true OS tablet.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast