Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 83

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: HP Dangles Flash in Front of Apple, iPad

  1. #41
    Livin the iPhone Life adp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 460 Times in 321 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I agree farmville is a must on the iPad

    You see, that's the great thing about freedom. Sure, the flash apps will show. But with freedom comes the ability to install whatever browser you want, whatever antivirus you want, and whatever plug-in you want. I use Ad-blocker Plus on Firefox in combination with Kaspersky Internet Security and see ZERO flash ads. Let's not pick the small things to criticize about the HP slate - because it's a lose-lose situation against the iPad.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

  2. #42
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Wow... you STILL have yet to specifically answer the question with a single task you can do with OSX that you wouldn't be able to do with an app on the iPad (except flash). Until someone can answer this I will laugh at everyone's incompetence and creativity. I for one can't think of anything I can't do on an iPad that I would WANT to do if I had OSX.
    Well for one, iPad doesn't get full internet because of no plugins. You can't multitask, you can't download stuff from the internet. It's expensive for the entry model which is a pile of s**t. HP Slate is better and I'm not biased towards Windows as I own quite a few Apple products.
    It's another failure along with the Apple TV and it won't sell well except in the USA where all the Apple fanboys are.

    Also it doesn't fit in your pocket so you might as well keep an iPhone or get a cheap MB which will still be sooo much better for only $100 more.

    Well you can ask yourself, what can the iPad do that an iPhone 3GS can't or the upcoming iPhone...

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  3. #43
    I can bash you over the head with one and it'll hurt a hell of a lot more than an iPhone :P

    That said, all the ipad hate sounds EXACTLY like the iPod hate when it was announced. Focusing on what it doesn't rather than what it does, which while it might not be enough for the power user, it's more than enough for the 95% of the population who just wants something simple and portable.

  4. #44
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    The iPad is just another iPod touch Super sized.
    "Why buy a 50" when you can get a 19" at a fraction of the price, it does the same thing and it is more portable?" Is that your argument?

    A 19" tv does exactly the same thing as a 50" tv but the 50" is a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch a movie on.



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

    shizzabrick (03-13-2010)

  6. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    "Why buy a 50" when you can get a 19" at a fraction of the price, it does the same thing and it is more portable?" Is that your argument?

    A 19" tv does exactly the same thing as a 50" tv but the 50" is a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch a movie on.


    Your analogy is flawed. From the onset, I can already hook up whatever I want to the TV. The TV and its manufacturer have no control over what I watch.

  7. #46
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    No you misunderstood the analogy. I'm not comparing a tv to an apple product, I am comparing the size relationship of two devices.

  8. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    No you misunderstood the analogy. I'm not comparing a tv to an apple product, I am comparing the size relationship of two devices.
    No, I understood your analogy. It is still flawed. You are simply quoting part of the original poster's reply and using it out of context. The difference between an iPod Touch and an iPad is in no way analogous to a 19" television and a 50" television.

  9. #48
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    No you didn't. Him and many others keep saying that the iPad is just a big iPod touch. Basically they are saying that the two are the same thing except for size. I am saying that a 19" television and 50" television are the same thing except for size but people see the advantage of buying a larger television. The larger screen on the iPad makes it more enjoyable to browse the web, watch videos on, and other things.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

    ryanofdiamonds (03-11-2010)

  11. #49
    iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    just app flash apple. is it that hard?

  12. #50
    iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I hope it runs smooth, because since it has flash it will kill the iPad...I want apple to feel the pain of no flash!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!


  13. #51
    The product pictured in the photo in the post is EXACTLY what a tablet should be. A fully capable desktop computer, but COMPLETELY optimized for touch gestures, i.e. no my-finger-is-a-mouse business.

  14. #52
    Ohhh, HP is good if I can get it free.......

  15. #53
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    The larger screen on the iPad makes it more enjoyable to browse the web, watch videos on, and other things.
    Browse the web and watch videos are two things that iPods, iPhones and iPads can't do well because for the obvious reason no flash player and the many popular video formats they don't support such as divx, avi etc Converting takes time!

    Also your TV analogy is flawed. Bigger is better but why not pay $100 more and get a MB seeing they're both portable, neither fit in your pocket and the MB is a million times better than the high end iPad, as we all know the low end iPad is a rip off for $499.

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  16. #54
    Laptops have weight that some don't want to carry around. The iPad and iPhone are almost instantly on when you press a button; laptops take time to wake up. I sold my macbook got a iMac and am waiting for the iPad as just a living room browser. I use my iPhone now to browse while watching tv in the living room. But having a bigger screen will be much better than scrolling back and forth. Myself could really careless about flash. I have it blocked on my computer and don't bump into any issues on my phone when looking stuff up. There are others that would like it but HTML5 should change things up slightly; that is something we will just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

    Kroo (03-11-2010)

  18. #55
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    "Why buy a 50" when you can get a 19" at a fraction of the price, it does the same thing and it is more portable?" Is that your argument?

    A 19" tv does exactly the same thing as a 50" tv but the 50" is a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch a movie on.


    Before they created a 50" television, I didn't have anything to watch movies with that displayed the movie so large (well nothing with any quality at least). This analogy is a bit flawed with the ipad because there are already numerous portable devices capable of showing higher resolution videos, with much broader user input for customizing how one watches said videos. Most even have MUCH larger screens for viewing than the ipad.

  19. #56
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Again its just a comparison between iPad and iPod not a macbook or anything else. It's not a analogy that says the iPad is better than the Slate.

    Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Browse the web and watch videos are two things that iPods, iPhones and iPads can't do well because for the obvious reason no flash player and the many popular video formats they don't support such as divx, avi etc Converting takes time!

    Also your TV analogy is flawed. Bigger is better but why not pay $100 more and get a MB seeing they're both portable, neither fit in your pocket and the MB is a million times better than the high end iPad, as we all know the low end iPad is a rip off for $499.
    You missed the point but meh. I am not trying to convince you to buy anything.

    As much as you, Rota (banned), and a few others call people fan boys, you guys dedicate entirely too much time knocking Apple and Apple products. Every iPad thread I can count on seeing the same 5 guys saying the same 5 things "iFail", "Fan boy", "iPad sucks", "Apple sucks", and "Just an oversized iPod".

    Now you guys have the Slate, but I am betting that not one of you will buy it either. Some people just don't need a bridge between a phone and a laptop.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 03-10-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

    ryanofdiamonds (03-11-2010), steve-z17 (03-10-2010)

  21. #57
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,259
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 144 Times in 123 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Again its just a comparison between iPad and iPod not a macbook or anything else. It's not a analogy that says the iPad is better than the Slate.



    You missed the point but meh. I am not trying to convince you to buy anything.

    As much as you, Rota (banned), and a few others call people fan boys, you guys dedicate entirely too much time knocking Apple and Apple products. Every iPad thread I can count on seeing the same 5 guys saying the same 5 things "iFail", "Fan boy", "iPad sucks", "Apple sucks", and "Just an oversized iPod".

    Now you guys have the Slate, but I am betting that not one of you will buy it either. Some people just don't need a bridge between a phone and a laptop.
    So true! I guess they have nothing better to do then try and bash Apple...on an Apple site. It's not going to change anyone's mind to come on here and say bad things about an Apple product. If you guys like the Slate so much then go find a Slate site and talk about it.

    The iPad is going to sell like crazy regardless of not having flash or running OSX.

  22. #58
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    Therein lies the problem.

    The device itself doesn't have the power to sufficiently run "standard" applications that people use every day on laptops and netbooks.

    If you compare apples:apples and expect the HP slate to come in at the same price as an iPad, the end user experience can be much wider with an OS which can allow you to develop and innovate with applications instead of playing within a defined sandbox.

    This being said, if you compare an apples:apples on price, you will likely see hardware in the HP that is much more capable in comparison to the iPad. This will allow applications to be run in the Win7 environment that literally could never see the light of day on the iPad. An Intel Atom processor with the Broadcom Crystal HD adapter will allow much better graphically intensive applications to run over the iPad.

    While this will provide a wider array of applications on the HP/Win7 device, it will come at a hit to the battery life.

    At this point, the following questions need to be asked.

    • Are you trying to replace an existing device?
    • What type of processing power do you need?
    • How important is battery life?
    • How will this device integrate into your current needs/wants?
    • What type of applications are important to you?


    This is just a short list, and pretty much identifies the device a user could/would prefer.

    The initial question on your part actually does answer itself though. If the device actually had an OSX variant on it, people would use it for more media oriented tasks and be able to enjoy a more open environment to load applications they prefer.

    (Please forgive the lack of links, I'm a bit time constrained but wanted to reply)
    So your first statement describes a paradox.. people want it to run OSX and the second it could it would be deemed underpowered. So with its current hardware limitations OSX would be HORRIBLE at best which is why modified apps to do all the tasks are a much better alternative. I would love to know what "standard" applications people run on their netbooks b/c every time I've loaded up anything on them I want to throw it out the window b/c of it's bogged down speed an pathetic resolution. Next... what programs (specifically) are you talking about that people could run on the HP Slate in the Win7 environment that would not be possible with an app on the iPad? Lastly I will address your final statement... what media oriented tasks would people use the iPad for if it had an OSX varient on it? What applications would people (you?) prefer to load in this more "open" environment that couldn't be done with a moded app?For everyone else who keeps coming back to flash.. really? Your internet life consists solely of watching flash videos? If this really is the single deal breaker for you not buying a product I think Apple succeeded.

  23. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMeOn View Post
    Does not matter who comes in the line of Tablet, despite of not having Flash I believe iPad will still rock the party. And the reason is not new, its same as we have discussed thousand times, its having an ability to use 140,000 Apps from the AppStore. I personally don't like iPad's inability of not having a front camera, multi-tasking and so on... I even think I don't need an iPad but if at any point of time I will change my views on it... I will go for iPad for sure....

    iPad SUCKS everyone knows, but other TABLETS are just a small PC and we don't need it!!
    You have a point there. 140,000 apps for the iPad. The HP Slate can't compete with that. After all, it only runs the most popular OS in the world and has zero limitations on what you can and cannot purchase/install. I'm sure no one wants that.

  24. #60
    But it is limited, by the hardware. You can't excpect to do any heavy lifting.
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •