+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HP Dangles Flash in Front of Apple, iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by Maarten16 this looks really cool and it's MUCH better then the iPad. the iPad needs a real OS, not the iPhone OS. the best would be a
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten16 View Post
    this looks really cool
    and it's MUCH better then the iPad.
    the iPad needs a real OS, not the iPhone OS.
    the best would be a real OS with appstore apps working on it
    Think about that Apple.
    I'm curious... exactly what do you need a "real OS" for specifically that an app can't do? When you think about it a real OS is a GUI with a bunch of apps anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'm curious... exactly what do you need a "real OS" for specifically that an app can't do? When you think about it a real OS is a GUI with a bunch of apps anyway.
    If iPhoneOS wasn't so locked down, I don't think it would matter.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that depends on what you want to do with it...instead of accepting what THEY want you to do with it. That is the difference.

Thanks

No one has answered the question yet Lets just say for arguments sake.. the iPad came with OSX... what would you want to do with it that you couldn't otherwise. Before you answer be aware you are restricted to a 1 Ghz processor and most likely 512MB RAM so this eliminates all CPU/GPU intensive programs right off the bat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am most certainly interested in the hp slate, battery life I will most likely lose out on but the other benefits USB flash windows more user friendly apple may think it's secure posturing is a advantage but in the long run it may bite them in the ***

Banned
    Thanks

No one has answered the question yet Lets just say for arguments sake.. the iPad came with OSX... what would you want to do with it that you couldn't otherwise. Before you answer be aware you are restricted to a 1 Ghz processor and most likely 512MB RAM so this eliminates all CPU/GPU intensive programs right off the bat!
    If I had an iPad with OSX, I would do whatever the hell I want with it. I wouldn't be stuck wading through a billion useless cookie-cutter apps just to find something useful. I wouldn't be restricted to only install that which Apple says I can install. I would be able to view flash-based content by my choice, not Apple's. I wouldn't be prevented from changing the way it functions to suit my needs or personalizing it the way I want it to look. I would quite literally do whatever I wanted to do with the device I purchased.

I don't expect to be able to do EVERYTHING a full blown computer can do. But I do expect to be able to do what I want to do within reason. Apple does not place reasonable restrictions on their devices. Apple expects you to do what they want you to do.

This question has been answered repeatedly in several threads on this forum and elsewhere, you just won't accept the answer.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 03-10-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Nice keyboard

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm being conservative when I say the iPad will outsell this tablet 1 bajillion to one. Apple may not offer everything, but what they do they do very well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    If I had an iPad with OSX, I would do whatever the hell I want with it. I wouldn't be stuck wading through a billion useless cookie-cutter apps just to find something useful. I wouldn't be restricted to only install that which Apple says I can install. I would be able to view flash-based content by my choice, not Apple's. I wouldn't be prevented from changing the way it functions to suit my needs or personalizing it the way I want it to look. I would quite literally do whatever I wanted to do with the device I purchased.

I don't expect to be able to do EVERYTHING a full blown computer can do. But I do expect to be able to do what I want to do within reason. Apple does not place reasonable restrictions on their devices. Apple expects you to do what they want you to do.

This question has been answered repeatedly in several threads on this forum and elsewhere, you just won't accept the answer.
    Wow... you STILL have yet to specifically answer the question with a single task you can do with OSX that you wouldn't be able to do with an app on the iPad (except flash). Until someone can answer this I will laugh at everyone's incompetence and creativity. I for one can't think of anything I can't do on an iPad that I would WANT to do if I had OSX.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

you cant watch hulu on an ipad or netflix, so thats not cool. id go for the pad with osx just cuz its so pretty
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Banned
    Thanks

Wow... you STILL have yet to specifically answer the question with a single task you can do with OSX that you wouldn't be able to do with an app on the iPad (except flash).
    See, you prove my point exactly. Right there you have a single answer (flash), and you won't accept it.

Until someone can answer this I will laugh at everyone's incompetence and creativity. I for one can't think of anything I can't do on an iPad that I would WANT to do if I had OSX.
    And that is precisely the reason you will be buying an iPad. You are unable to think for yourself and instead allow Apple to think for you. Just because you can't think of a reason doesn't mean a reason doesn't exist.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I agree farmville is a must on the iPad

Before you answer be aware you are restricted to a 1 Ghz processor and most likely 512MB RAM so this eliminates all CPU/GPU intensive programs right off the bat!
    Also you are still restricted to 32GB - 64GB for the Slate.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 03-10-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Therein lies the problem.

The device itself doesn't have the power to sufficiently run "standard" applications that people use every day on laptops and netbooks.

If you compare apples:apples and expect the HP slate to come in at the same price as an iPad, the end user experience can be much wider with an OS which can allow you to develop and innovate with applications instead of playing within a defined sandbox.

This being said, if you compare an apples:apples on price, you will likely see hardware in the HP that is much more capable in comparison to the iPad. This will allow applications to be run in the Win7 environment that literally could never see the light of day on the iPad. An Intel Atom processor with the Broadcom Crystal HD adapter will allow much better graphically intensive applications to run over the iPad.

While this will provide a wider array of applications on the HP/Win7 device, it will come at a hit to the battery life.

At this point, the following questions need to be asked.
    • Are you trying to replace an existing device?
    • What type of processing power do you need?
    • How important is battery life?
    • How will this device integrate into your current needs/wants?
    • What type of applications are important to you?

This is just a short list, and pretty much identifies the device a user could/would prefer.

The initial question on your part actually does answer itself though. If the device actually had an OSX variant on it, people would use it for more media oriented tasks and be able to enjoy a more open environment to load applications they prefer.

(Please forgive the lack of links, I'm a bit time constrained but wanted to reply)

Thanks

I just hate the fact that instead of coming out with a device and getting everything right the first time you have to wait for the 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 4th(iphone 4g) before you get all the benefits. its like Apple not dumb they know what consumers want but drag it out for FINANCIAL BENEFIT!!

Like didn't know people would want flash, a camera, a real OS and so on, on this iPad.... If they were smart enough to create it im sure they were brainstormed what a consumer really wants its all about the MONEY in the end!!
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude the iPad can go to hell and lmb's, it's just another scheme for Apple to milk the rest of our pockets. The iPad is just another iPod touch Super sized. I'd rather get an tablet that has either a windows OS or OS X not a modded iPhone/iPod OS, thats just ridiculous and shameful on behalf of Apple. If most of you may have or haven't noticed, watch the keynote that anounced the iPads arrival, the whole crowd is like a opera, no one seemed to cheer or clap happily. Go back to when the first iPhone or 3g/s came out and the people went insane over this product. I'm sure all u super psycho apple fans will buy this just to keep your reputation, but cmon be real this is a waste of time and money, unless you don't own an iPhone or iPod touch then maybe the iPad would be a option. I mean even Steve Jobs didn't seem very enthusiastic about announcing the iPad.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow... you STILL have yet to specifically answer the question with a single task you can do with OSX that you wouldn't be able to do with an app on the iPad (except flash). Until someone can answer this I will laugh at everyone's incompetence and creativity. I for one can't think of anything I can't do on an iPad that I would WANT to do if I had OSX.
    Your joking, right?

Lets see... I could run a wireless network stumbler, I could purchase MP3's through Amazon's web site (and immediately listen to them), I could watch Hulu, etc etc etc

Just go to the front page of this web site, look for any article about an app getting banned from the app store, and insert it here.

Thanks

Well, I would like to run Photoshop, Excel, DJ Trakktor Studio, just to name a few of the MANY programs that will not ever happen on the iPad. But like I said, the Slate and the iPad are really not comparible. You have a death-grip strangle hold on the OS by Apple which is never going away. Not that I blame them. Their OS is solid and that is how they keep it that way. If you can live with limitations then the iPad is for you. If you prefer freedom of choice then you would be a fool to buy it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

I just can't justify the performance and compatibility lose of going from a high powered laptop to any tablet device. 17-20 inch screen laptop with a 3G adapter makes the ipad obsolete before its even released imo.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Has anyone watched the video for the "HP Slate Device" (as it is so aptly named)??? It has lags and delays like nothing else. Plus, it only has a 3.5 hour battery life as stated by HP and runs an OS that isn't designed to be run by touch only (Windows 7 is a desktop OS tweaked to run on a touch device; the iPhone OS is built for touch from the ground up).
    For once, someone else who understands what the iPad is all about.

I have watched the demo video of the 'new' HP iSlate (how original HP!! even sounds like an Apple esque name!) and it is no more revolutionary that the Lenovo tablet is currently use.

I use my Lenovo with Win7 touch and it is , well, Windows 7 , with , guess what... A touch driver bunged on the top, The useless on screen keyboard, how many times am i prodding the screen to press something that doesnt want to be pressed!

HP fully understands touch interfaces. They have had years of touch screen computers as well. It should implement well and definitely has a huge advantage over the limited ipad, but then again you are comparing two totally different products. The ipad is not intended to be a product like the slate. The ipad will sell amongst ipod/iPhone/mac users, the slate will sell well amongst windows users.
    What a load of TOSH!!! HP fully understand how to build the HARDWARE, they then follow the lemmings over the cliff and install windows et all, and we are back to my reply to the first quote.

We will just have to wait and see hoe much of an issue the lack of flash will be, but have to ever TRUTHFULLY tried to run a heavy Flash site on a mobile device??? I have, and it sucks!

Manufacturers releasing Tablets running windows need to remember ONE thing, Windows is NOT designed from the bottom up to be used solely via touch

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dalep For This Useful Post:

Kroo (03-11-2010)

Thanks

Please. Like the iPhone was so great on it's release? It was far from a finished product. After a few generations of the ipad we will come back here and have the same discussions about its limitations. After a few generations of the slate we will come back here and talk about how nice it has turned out to be.