Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Widget Mode On Tap for the iPad

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default No Widget Mode On Tap for the iPad

For several weeks there has been talk in tech circles that a plethora of small, but familiar iPhone applications absent from the iPad could still turn up in via a secret "widget mode." Dashing the hopes of some that such standard offerings as "weather," "clock," and "calculator" could still manifest on the much-awaited tablet, today Daring Fireball's John Gruber set the record straight.

According to Gruber's sources, it doesn't appear that such rumors of a widget mode are true. Gruber, in fact, puts it bluntly:

There is, alas, no secret "widget" mode for iPad in OS 3.2
    If sources are to be believed, Steve Jobs was personally dissatisfied with how these apps performed on the much larger iPad screen and, consequently, dropped their inclusion on the tablet. The scenario speaks to the concerns expressed by many - concerns that some awesome utility and gaming apps for the iPhone will just seem out of place or downright awkward on the iPad's jumbo screen.

While no one can yet rule out the possibility of the iPhone's most basic or generic apps turning up on the iPad later this year via OS 4.0, for now, we're dealing with all that we have to work with. And, sadly, that means no "Widget Mode" will be at our disposal when the iPad reaches consumers on April 3rd.

Iím not saying itís a mistake that Apple is allowing the iPad to run iPhone apps. Iím just saying that the iPad is not a big iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i need my ipad now omg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Well the jailbreak community can fix it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

jdyates (03-09-2010)

Wow, it's news that apple is going to cripple this thing? Maybe you should limit "news" about this "magical and revolutionary" device to stuff that is actually new, rather than giant steps backwards in mobile computing. Ou wait....Then the ipad news people would have nothing to write about

So, the iPad is crippled because it doesn't have a "widget" mode? That's just a ludicrous statement and argument. So it doesn't have a Stock, Clock, or Weather app -- YET. The iPad isn't even out yet, and I bet that there will be a few thousand apps that can address all of these apps in one app alone.

Let's see what this baby can do before we count it down and out. People who prognosticate on an Apple device that hasn't been tested in the real world end up eating their words later on -- well, at least that's the track record (especially with the iPhone and iPod Touch).

Quote Originally Posted by NCMacMan View Post
    So, the iPad is crippled because it doesn't have a "widget" mode? That's just a ludicrous statement and argument. So it doesn't have a Stock, Clock, or Weather app -- YET. The iPad isn't even out yet, and I bet that there will be a few thousand apps that can address all of these apps in one app alone.
    or not.

iphone apps, 80,000. or some such.

fixes for things like this. 0

the frustration. priceless

The more I think about it, the more of a piece of junk this seems like it's going to be. Certainly, it's a great technology, but absolutely NOTHING about it is "convenient."

Thanks

Let's see, which of these apps are essential for a tablet.

Weather app - Pretty much useless 95% of the time. Do you have one on your laptop or PC? Yes, but probably only to make your desktop look pretty.

Stock app - Pretty much useless 95% of the time? Do you have one on your laptop or PC? Yes, but only so you can pretend you know about markets n ****

Clock app - Pretty much useless 95% of the time. Are you going to use your phone or Ipad as an alarm? You're going to use your phone.

There's also about 5000 apps that will duplicate and expand the functionality of all these apps
    To live, you have to lie

apple wants us to use their products the way THEY want us to use them. its nothing new. apple has made it abundantly clear for years now that to them consumer opinion = sh!t. some call it revolutionary, and sometimes it is, but the iPad is extreme and epic fail. it doesn't have to be out to see it. we can all see it. but hey, we waited for landscape keyboard sms. we waited for mms and video. we waited for copy paste. why wouldn't consumers wait for stocks and calendar? apple doesn't want you to replace your iphone. they want you to supplement it. i mean after all, this device has a bigger screen! *rolls eyes*

****** i had "iphone is extreme and epic fail" and i meant ipad.... extreme and epic facepalm ******
    Last edited by b3nny; 03-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b3nny View Post
    apple wants us to use their products the way THEY want us to use them. its nothing new. apple has made it abundantly clear for years now that to them consumer opinion = sh!t. some call it revolutionary, and sometimes it is, but the iPhone is extreme and epic fail. it doesn't have to be out to see it. we can all see it. but hey, we waited for landscape keyboard sms. we waited for mms and video. we waited for copy paste. why wouldn't consumers wait for stocks and calendar? apple doesn't want you to replace your iphone. they want you to supplement it. i mean after all, this device has a bigger screen! *rolls eyes*
    The Palm Pre had to wait for video recording, half the Android phones don't have Flash, you can't even install decent sized apps on the Nexus One, the Droid is still running an OS that's 3 months out of date. Every phone ever released has problems. If a landscape keyboard if your biggest gripe, then I think Apple did pretty well
    To live, you have to lie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (03-10-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    The Palm Pre had to wait for video recording
    the iphone had to wait 2 years, the palm waited one.

half the Android phones don't have Flash
    zero percent of iphones have this

the Droid is still running an OS that's 3 months out of date
    one quarter of the age of each iphone OS

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

the ipad has nothing but the mods going for it. that is kind of sad...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    the iphone had to wait 2 years, the palm waited one.

zero percent of iphones have this

one quarter of the age of each iphone OS
    lol
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Well the jailbreak community can fix it
    You shouldn't have to rely on after-market modifications to make a device usable, the manufacturer (if they actually cared about the consumer) should cover as many bases as possible to create the best damned device they can. How hard would it be for Apple to allow third party apps? Not that hard at all, and what about all those 4 year old features that we waited 2 so-called "major" software updates and hardware revisions for? The fact is that Apple doesn't give two shits about what any of us want, only what will make them the most money. I thought the motto of Apple was "It just works" not "It'll work, but unless you hack the device (a process we're trying to make illegal, and are attempting to thwart at every chance we get) it'll be a sub-par experience"

Quote:
    I’m not saying it’s a mistake that Apple is allowing the iPad to run iPhone apps. I’m just saying that the iPad is not a big iPhone.

umm, it is...

im sure jailbreaking will adress the widget prob

my 100th post yay

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I swear I should have a pre-written statement that I can just cut and paste every time people complain that the first generation iDevice doesn't come with every little feature and fathomed upgrade possible. It's called Apple's business plan... if they gave you everything you wanted the first time they would have no where to go from there and all of us wouldn't buy the upgraded hardware year after year. If any of y'all owned Apple stock you'd understand things a lot better... b/c you would have made a killing since the iPod came out. For the rest of you... stop being ridiculously narrow minded and realize that Apple is a corporation that is in business to make money... not satisfy every little customer want and need all at once.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 03-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    You shouldn't have to rely on after-market modifications to make a device usable
    Oh so the iPad is not usable without widgets?

Wiget in my view be one layer below and it should be approached by one click, it would be much safer in all ways of handling and using.=kishu1946

No comment, since not gone through.

No comment, since not gone through.
    Last edited by kishu1946; 03-10-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Would you want a widget running on a device that is already going to be hurting for power? Not me. That's what apps are for.