+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Courier a Dual-Screen iPad?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Although Bill Gates recently stated that there was nothing about the iPad that made him wish Microsoft had come up with a tablet of their own first, more details have
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default Microsoft Courier a Dual-Screen iPad?

Although Bill Gates recently stated that there was nothing about the iPad that made him wish Microsoft had come up with a tablet of their own first, more details have emerged about a secret Microsoft project that could reveal the opposite of what Gates has been suggesting in the media. Indeed, it now appears that Microsoft wants a device of its own to rival the iPad. And more details are surfacing about when the product may surface and what it will look like.

From the first rumblings of its existence last fall to the new slate of rumors surroundings its look and potential release date, it now appears that the Microsoft Courier will be built to compete with the iPad. Sources have been cited in reports indicating that the device will serve as a digital journal customized for ultimate convenience, accessibility, and portability.

The dual-screen device is reportedly under an inch thick, weighs only a pound, and, instead of Windows 7, the Courier is believed to be built on Tegra 2 and will run on the same operating system as the ZuneHD. Naturally, the pen-based interface suggests the tablet will be very writing and reading-centric.

Although the latest rumor is that the Courier will turn up before the holiday shopping season commences this year, nothing has been formally confirmed. But it makes sense that Microsoft would wait to see if the iPad flies or falters before determining how to best push or promote their "iPad killer."

Look interesting to anyone? If you're wondering about the price... so are we. No word yet on that either.

Image(s) via Engadget and The New York Times

Green Apple
    Thanks

Meh. Both products don't interest me. They need real OS's.

Thanks

"new slate of rumors" hahaha nice. What you did there, I see it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (03-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I like the Microsoft Courier compared to the iPad, the tech demos of it I've seen on youtube I can see it's practicalness compared to the iPad. Would be amazing for taking notes in class or work meetings which is where I think they're aiming for.

Thanks

so now we have a giant ipod, and a giant zune hd! hooray!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This Microsoft Courier has the potential to be significantly more useful than the iPad. Hopefully the OS can live up to the idea.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

ummm this thing looks nothing like a zune hd......more like an ipad killer

Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal': exclusive pictures and details (update: video!) -- Engadget

Thanks

This thing reminds me of my kids Nintendo DS only bigger. And pen-based ? Does that mean you can only use a stylus and not your fingers ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

huh??? does it mean, now apple has a new target (two if I'm not wrong; Sony and Microsoft)of suing another company because of infringement or copying the "ipad" patent? wow, Is this is another way of increasing the business profit, Apple??? heheheheh SHAME shame shame!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

Microsoft Courier can be nice, with a real os, like Windows 7 with touch driver, would be awesome
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Thanks

dude i watched those engadget vids. real nice.

Thanks

Apple will just attach 2 ipads together with a hinge, and bam, suck it bill gates. Haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    This thing reminds me of my kids Nintendo DS only bigger. And pen-based ? Does that mean you can only use a stylus and not your fingers ?
    No it comes with the stylus to make it easier because it is meant to be like a journal so they expect that you wll be writing with it. If you watch the first video here you will see at one time that to send the e-mail they push send with their finger.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the courier looks a lot more complete and usefull than the ipad

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

microsofts thing just seems a bit to excessive to me...

Thanks

that made him wish Microsoft had come up with a tablet of their own first
    WTF... Microsoft came up with the courier long before iPad. Seriously, do a little more research before bashing Microsoft to be a copycat.

I love both company.

Thanks

this is going to destroy the ipad. almost considered buying one, till i saw this. and take a look at that internet, i'm pretty sure i saw flash.

Thanks

Dear Messany,

Are you not aware that this is the same product that Microsoft has been demoing and talking about for the better part of the last 8 months?

We saw the UI posted in this very forum back in September of October of last year.

So where do you get off supposing that someone is trying to copy Apple? the Courier has been in development for a long, long time and bares just about no similarities to the iPad of any kind. Further, Microsoft has been in the touch screen market for almost a decade.

Come on, folks.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

DJRiful (03-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

hasnt microsoft had this idea for a while now, i seem to remember this when the first slate, well first new ones of last year started to arise around novemberish?
    edit: lol guess i should have read the above posts before posting

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dillonsmith9147 For This Useful Post:

DJRiful (03-07-2010)

Thanks
    The Courier is what the iPhail should have been. I have absolutely no interest in the iPhail. Horrible product imo. The Courier however would be brilliant and what I would actually purchase. Especially for the wife as she is still in college. It would completely dominate the market if it's anything like the prototypes and pictures that have been released. I really hope MS releases it as I myself have been waiting for a long time. On top hopefully they will have a cheaper 3G alternative and plan for it.